A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 vs. SUV's, ie: Mercedes ML class and Lexus RX300

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-1999, 04:51 PM
Gary @ Ronal

Default A8 vs. SUV's, ie: Mercedes ML class and Lexus RX300

Hello. I'm looking for some first hand experience of A8 drivers in the East Coast, or snow conditions, as well as dry conditions. Primarily, who can relate their opinions to this type of comparison vs. ML Class MBZ, RX300, or EClasss 4 matic.
It's my opinion that the A8 is heads and shoulders above the rest, aluminum body, all wheel drive, great power and handling, great luxury features inc. climate controls,--have I missed something???
Ok please add your INPUTS--any first hand experience going up snowy inclines,ie: driveways, etc.
Finally, list is app. $64K on the window, I understand you can negotiate app. 6.5K off the sticker and Audi is chipping in another 6.5K incentive to sell them. So I'm guessing that $51K should buy a loaded A8. COMMENTS PLEASE!!!
Old 09-15-1999, 05:53 PM
Manny

Default Re: A8 vs. SUV's, ie: Mercedes ML class and Lexus RX300

I haven't had a winter with my '99 A8 4.2 yet. I have had A4 2.8 Quattros for the past 3 years and can say that the Audi AWD system will have no problem with any of the situtaions you are asking for. With our '97 A4, we have driven it on pure ice conditions (traction only on one side of tha car) and the car worked flawlessly.

I have driven both the ML430 and Exporer 5.0. These are trucks! There is no comparison!! The Merc did have a much better ride than the Explorer - it didn't have the bobbing sensation of the Explorer at highway speeds. If you want all-weather luxury (with super fast speed performance), get the A8. If you want to go off road, get the ML.

The prices you quote were possible on left-over '99 A8s. You won't get that on a 2000. I also doubt that you'll get $51K on an A8. I got mine with the special 6500 Audi Incentive for $55K. I believe that incentive is over.
Old 09-15-1999, 06:19 PM
Jah-Wren Ryel

Incentive now $7500, up from $6500
Old 09-16-1999, 05:40 AM
Gary @ Ronal

Default East coast dealers?? Delaware, Ct.,etc. Any Recommendations??

Everything is so close back there--proximity--anybody know of any good dealers??
Old 09-16-1999, 06:56 AM
Jah-Wren Ryel

Default Re: East coast dealers?? Delaware, Ct.,etc. Any Recommendations??

Can't say if they are good or not, but they do have their inventory online. Reporting of actual options is kind of sloppy though.<ul><li><a href="http://www.iramotorgroup.com/">Ira MotorGroup</a></li></ul>
Old 09-16-1999, 03:50 PM
Manny

Default Hoffman Audi - East Hartford, CT

I have bought three cars from them (96 A4 2.8Q, 97 A4 2.8Q and a 99 A8 4.2Q). They gave great deals and very good service.
Old 09-19-1999, 03:09 PM
chas

Default what did you pay for AQ4.2?

I am looking at leasing A8? Did you lease or buy?
Old 09-21-1999, 09:21 AM
J. Henze

Default Re: A8 vs. SUV's, ie: Mercedes ML class and Lexus RX300

I owned one of the first Mercedes Benz SUV and since I have owned many MB cars and I mean many I can tell you that this is the worst vehicle I ever owned. The deficiencies were so numerous that I returned the vehicle to MB. Since there was not a single improvement for 1999 I gave up and bought an Audi A6Q for my wife. Now she is very happy.
The only thing we liked on the ML SUV was the general layout the engine and the 4 wheel drive. The body and interior fit and finish was lousy. The J.D. Power report tested 14 SUV and guess what the "Quality Built Mercedes" came in last.14TH!!!!
The factory told me that they are very proud of their achievements. He told me that a quality inspector repaired typewriters two years ago. I was silent on the phone. He ask: Are you still there? Yes. I have one of those "typewriters" on wheels in my garage.
It is too bad because many people will never know what a real Mercedes was like. The company motto has changed too from "THE BEST OR NOTHING" to "built by Daimler-Chrysler" that say it all.
Old 09-24-1999, 09:11 AM
Max

Default i personaly own an ML430........

Let me say this, A8, amaizing car, i have a been a fan for a while now. The reason i got an ML430 was the simple one of getting through anywhere anytime. You can't really compare the A8 to the ML430 or vice-versa, ML is a jeep, A8 is a sedan. ML430 is absolutely great in the winter, no problem, the germans did a very good job on this car. A8 is also great in the winter. What made me buy an ML430 istead of an A8 was that i like jeeps more, you see everything, and if you get hit, it's in the bottom, not in the side, plus the ML being the safest jeep available right now. I am thinking of getting the soon-to-be here ML55 AMG(380hp)but we'll see. If you have the cash and don't care what to choose, sedan or jeep. Grab yourself an A8 and enjoy. - Max
Old 09-28-1999, 06:52 PM
altshuler

Default Best East coast dealers-- Recommendations

I just bought an A8 from Debra Barnett of Audi Park Ave... never thought I would travel from Boston to NYC for an AUDI.

Best price and service north of DC. (And I am not even related).

Her number is 212-511-8282

Serious.

Quick Reply: A8 vs. SUV's, ie: Mercedes ML class and Lexus RX300