AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d2-platform-discussion-8/)
-   -   Aargh.... Trying to get a new A8L...... So frustrated! (long) (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d2-platform-discussion-8/aargh-trying-get-new-a8l-so-frustrated-long-1741607/)

gwelch 03-26-2004 01:09 AM

Aargh.... Trying to get a new A8L...... So frustrated! (long)

So, I think I'll just drive on over to my local Audi dealer. Give my salesman my color choices, "must have" options, and secondary options. See if he can find me a car that's already in the states, or if worse comes to worse, just place an order for a new car with everything on it that I want. Easy right? NOT!

First, a little history. The last three Audis we bought were from this salesman. I feel a certain amount of loyalty to him, however, with my current frustration level, that could all change.

We sit down and go through my list of wants, he then leaves me in his cubicle to go and search their database to see if there's anything out there that meets my needs. He returns with good news! There's a car with almost everything I want, and guess what! It's right in their lot - how convenient.

I tell him I'd rather he search further, and see if he can find something closer to what I want. After many, many phone calls he tells me today that he found a car that was almost exactly what I wanted - it's 150 miles away, but if I want it, he'll get someone to go pick it up! I tell him to go for it and I'll be in later today to take care of the paperwork. He calls me right back to tell me the car is in the bodyshop with $5k of damage. Back to square one.

I tell my salesman I'm ready to just order a car with everything on it that I want. He then proceeds to tell me that if I order now, the build date will fall during Audi's summer holiday shut-down and I'd end up getting an '05 model and have to wait for a delivery date around September. He then tells me I should get the car they have on their lot, before someone else buys it. In his words - "Do you really need dual rear climate control?" and "I don't think the alcantara interior will hold up as well as the cloth headliner" and "Why don't you want a solar sunroof?"

My last phone call from him, he tells me he found one with almost everything I want, plus, it has the adaptive cruise control. I tell him I really didn't want to spend the $$ on the cruise control, not sure I'd use it enough. Then, I have to explain to him what the adaptive cruise control is. Aargh!

My hunch is that he's just trying to make a quick sale before the end of the month. I really want a car, however, would I really have to wait 5-6 months to get the one that I want? Am I just being too picky? Maybe I should consider a different exterior/interior color combination. Maybe it's just pms..... Maybe I should consider a new dealership.

Any advice would be appreciated.

--gina

greenie 03-26-2004 03:26 AM

gina, first of all, I think it strange that he had to leave his cubicle

to see what he has in stock. How many are on the lot and how differently are they equipped? Strange IMO. Secondly, Audis summer vacation is the middle to the end of August. How the hell is that going to affect an order now? gina, you have a right to end up with the car YOU want, not what a salesperson wants you to have. These cars are in full production and should not take more than 60 days from start to delivery if you decide to order. My suggestion is to at least visit one other showroom and see what they say. Call the local regional Audi rep(if there is such a thing) and tell them that you are ready to buy but are getting no satisfaction from the dealership. Tell them that you LIKE(not have to have) the new A8L but could easily go down the road and pick up a Benz(yikes!). See what they say. I would imagine this salesperson would like to move what he has on his lot before he special orders a unit, although I wonder if he checked his to-be-built schedule to see if he could plugg in your selection to a car already in the pipeline. Good luck and let us know what transpires. Regards to Randy.

Krisko 03-26-2004 03:33 AM

I wouldn't blame the saleshole, he's just trying to do his job.

A sale today is always better than a possible sale in 4 months. It's obvious that you have discerning taste when it comes to your audis, perhaps he should take your current audi needs a little more seriously.

I don't think he's really in the wrong here. Maybe he needs a little reminder of your past business, buying pretty much the best cars audi offers here in the states.

greenie 03-26-2004 03:37 AM

Hes not in the wrong by misstating the facts and trying to

get gina to take a car that is NOT what she wants?

Paoli 03-26-2004 05:39 AM

Oh, give him another try. Does your wish list include some rare options?

I have house buyers who let the almost house go and wind up looking forever and wishing they'd bought it. Seems to me that dual rear climate control should be pretty easy. If the car has everything you want plus a few options that you don't need I would go for it. Might help at resale to have a more loaded car. For example, the '01 and '02 models without navigation and parktronic are sitting on eBay not selling.

buybeach 03-26-2004 05:58 AM

Where are you located?

skiracer 03-26-2004 06:19 AM

Gina- For as good a customer as you are and for this type of car expense......

you should get EXACTLY what you want and as fast as the dealer can humanly get it to you. Customers like you are rare jewels, and should be treated as such. I'm sure the salesman is under pressure to sell from existing stock, but at the expense of a "perfect" customer? You gotta be kidding.......
I'd give him one more chance to do the right thing, and then if he fails go somewhere else -hopefully another Audi dealer ;-)

Mr. Ricco 03-26-2004 06:50 AM

I would stop by and see your ole salesman one more time just to say "goodbye."

I have no use for anyone either in my personal or business life that cannot tell the truth, period. This guy is treating you like you have the IQ of a comatose gerbil. Why not post what you want.. . someone may be able to help you.

Paldi 03-26-2004 07:21 AM

Get real. There are mebby like 50 unsold A8L's in the US at any given time.

With 8-10 exterior color choices, 4-6 interior color choices and 10 or so options, do the math, bro. She's going to have to be very lucky to find the car here already. Best to order one to her specs and wait 6 months for a 2005 if it's going to take 3-4 months to get a specific build 2004.

Potsie 03-26-2004 07:49 AM

I thought the Adaptive Cruise Control is not available in the U.S. models.??