A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

abs sensor replacement alternative

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default abs sensor replacement alternative

I've had an ABS light come on my dash for awhile now. VAG com showed intermit fault in right front sensor. I first tried cleaning it as per the audi pages recommendations. I still had false activation and abs light coming on after start up. I then replaced the section of wire also described in the audi pages. this cured the light, but as I could only find 3 wire, I couldn't reuse the grommets to secure the wire. sure enough, probably due to snow build up, the wiring connection pulled apart and had the abs light on again.

I then set out determined to find an alternative to buying a new (read expensive) abs sensor. cheapest i could find was around $120 for a new one. still determined i could find a cheaper alternative, i started looking at all audi abs sensors on ebay. i knew i could find one with the same connector that would work. or at least one with the same sensor and i could splice my old connector onto it.

well, my persistence paid off. I found that a sensor for the 80/90/100/200 series appeared to have the same connector and the same abs sensor. I even found a listing for a genuine OEM version for only $27.95 plus $9.95 shipping. there were aftermarket listings for as low as $12.95, but figured for the extra few $$ i'd rather have the OEM. I took the chance and ordered it.

Upon removal of my old sensor, i compared it to the new one. it had the same length and diameter sensor, same 2 bullet connector style, and even all the same WABCO #'s on the sensor and wire lead. The only difference between the one for the a8 and the one i ordered is that the overall wire length is about 6" longer and has an extra grommet near the connector end. Installation was a breeze, the grommets to secure the wiring to the strut and body of my a8 were even in the correct spot.

here is a link to the audipages for cleaning/repairing your abs sensor:
http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...eshooting.html

97-99 audi a8 abs PN: 4D0 927 803
replacement OEM PN: 893 927 803

pictures below. I hope this helps some people out and saves you money!
Attached Images