Actuator wont engage (even with new starter) 1996 A8 - AudiWorld Forums

Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A8 / S8 > A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion
Reload this Page > Actuator wont engage (even with new starter) 1996 A8
Notices
A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002

Actuator wont engage (even with new starter) 1996 A8

Old 08-23-2017, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Actuator wont engage (even with new starter) 1996 A8

Drove my car to work. Parked, and turned it off. Got back 8 hours later, and it wouldnt start. Starter didnt turn, so i swapped it for a new one. The new one wont turn either.

I measured the power going into the actuator to be 12.47 volts, but i guess its not enough amps to engage the actuator.

My question is what relay is passing the power to the actuator? Could it be the wiring?

Appreciate all help i might get
Old 08-23-2017, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ignition key switch, starter interlock (shifter adjustment or F125 switch), wiring (chewed or frayed)...

audipages A8 F125 Transmission Switch Replacement

If you are seeing switched power to the solenoid small terminal that'd point towards badly frayed or corroded connections that won't flow much current, I have seen that sort of thing where the DMM says it should work but a test lamp or something does not light. You could check that with a beefy test lamp like a headlight or something, I'd like to see it deliver 5 amps at least to the little terminal.

-Joel.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Check the power junction block in the passenger wheel well. We had the same problem happen in my girlfriend's car, and it was only AFTER we spent the time to change the starter that we found the real problem - the wires in that junction block were too corroded.

Search this Thread