A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody doing thorough renovation in 2018? Your experience? Price?

Old 06-04-2018, 02:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody doing thorough renovation in 2018? Your experience? Price?

Hi there.

I am (hopefully) in the end of the long process of complete renovation of 1998 S8. Although I knew the car very well when I started(it was my fathers car and it was taken care of in Audi service all the time), it took more than a year and costs are significantly high... In the end I had to replace allmost all important parts starting from brakes and ending with rebuilding whole engine. Total price will be somewhere around 15k USD and looking for parts is a nightmare... I will post list of reparis later. But the car will be like new.
Are there other d2 A/S8 fans who went through something similar? Want to share your experience? Do you have recommendation for others like us?

Jan
Old 06-04-2018, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jan.kvacek
Hi there.

I am (hopefully) in the end of the long process of complete renovation of 1998 S8. Although I knew the car very well when I started(it was my fathers car and it was taken care of in Audi service all the time), it took more than a year and costs are significantly high... In the end I had to replace allmost all important parts starting from brakes and ending with rebuilding whole engine. Total price will be somewhere around 15k USD and looking for parts is a nightmare... I will post list of reparis later. But the car will be like new.
Are there other d2 A/S8 fans who went through something similar? Want to share your experience? Do you have recommendation for others like us?

Jan
I purchased my 2001 S8 with 232,000 Miles, and besides the body and interior... I've replaced a LOT, transmission,rebuilt the suspension, replaced the engine(with a low mileage engine), cooling system, a/c compressor, new valve body... CV axles.. Engine mounts, rear diff mounts. Had both bumpers resprayed.. replaced headlight assemblies, upgraded the audio system significantly and installed a second electric cooling fan (removed the mechanical cooling fan) I also swapped to the facelift A8 spindles and d3 360mm brakes on the front.
I spent much more than buying a low mileage d2 s8 that had been well kept. However, the body is straight and the interior is still in very good shape,
I love the car and will continue driving it..

Last edited by audinutt; 06-06-2018 at 06:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ctxspy (10-08-2022)
Old 06-04-2018, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Beautiful car, AN.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jan.kvacek
Hi there.

Jan
Yes, finding some parts can be a nightmare. I can still find some new, but some others are only available secondhand with high mileage.
I bought my A8 1996 end of December 2016. The previous owner started a rebuild but had time for only one project (he also was rebuilding an A6 V6 twin-turbo) so he decided to sell it half way.
He did the following when I purchased it:
Carbon fiber central console, Engine swap (still an ABZ but with only 100.000km), transmission swap (moved for 4-gear auto to 5-gear Tiptronic with 20.000km), serviced all belts, change all the interior from black/purple to beige leather, Hofele muffler, spoiler, replaced the PFL front (fenders, bumper and bonnet) with A8 D3 2008 parts (not fan of it but does not look that bad), A6 C5 headlights, rear bumper (hides the muffler pipes), rear view camera and radar, side mirrors with LED turning signal, DRL in the front bumper, S4 18" rims etc...

Since then, I did the following:
EVAP canister regulator valve, front suspension, ABS Module, Fuel Gauge Sending Units, Idle Switch (Idle Air Control Valve), 55w bi-Xenon, some part of the Air Duct, brake pads, Android head unit, outdoor GPS antenna, repaint and repair some damaged body parts etc...
I still have a few things to take care off (curtain motor, rear view mirror dead, transmission valve body) but the car is now almost in a satisfying condition

Last edited by Mortem76; 06-05-2018 at 04:32 PM.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Pushbutton_auto
Beautiful car, AN.
+1