A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know if it possible to grey market import an S8?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-1999, 01:43 PM
Tom

Default Mostly agree with you....

Saab 9-3's quality of fit-and-finish and materials are somewhat behind what the A4 and E46's standards especially those plasticky feel inside; however, the handling control feel of the whole car doesn't far behind those two German sports sedan benchmarks.
Comparing the Lincoln LS-V6 and Chrysler 300M should be interesting especially when the LS has 5-speed maunal and standard sports package (in stick form). 300M feels somewhat cumbersome when you consider it as a sports sedan but the LS seems more closer when most of its competitors are A6, 5-Series and 9-5. I will take the Lincoln LS V6, IMHO!
Maybe the best solution is to get him trade his SHO for an A6 2.7T 6-speed sports package with some aftermarket stuffs on it!
Yes, Saturn is superior than most GM products but their overall balance still way behind some Japanese and German competitors in terms of refinement and quality, IMHO.
Tom
97 A4 1.8TQMS
99 JETTA IV GLS 2.0
Old 09-02-1999, 07:38 AM
Todd W

Default We all love the A6, but no one wants to drive 200 miles to a dealer for an oil change!

The headroom and legroom are great in the 300M, but I have hopes that they will be adequate in the LS. I agree that the LS sounds much more interesting, but I have not driven one yet. The 300M that I drove did not have the optional sports package, so I can't give it a fair review either.

As for me, I just want my 5KTQ back! It hasn't been running in over 6 weeks and I am getting really impatient. The UrQ is neat, but it needs attention too and the a/c doesn't work (I'm in Dallas).

Todd W
Old 09-02-1999, 08:18 AM
Tom

Default Sorry about your 5000 and the dealer location....

Hi Todd:
Its mysterious when you say there's no closest Audi dealer within 200 miles from your house while most BMW, Mercedes and Lexus dealers are almost everywhere in North America.
I hope your 5000TQ will gets better soon while the Ur-Quattro as a classic. I dreamed of owing an Audi when I was a kid during some rally session saw some Ur-Quattro and Sport Quattro perform flawlessly until I finally owned an A4.
Hope you can go test drive the sports package 300M soon and compares with Lincoln LS-V6. They are all both nice cars but I prefer the package of the LS simply because previous Lincolns are land yachts while the LS feels like a German cars.
Tom
97 A4 1.8TQMS
99 JETTA IV GLS 2.0
Old 09-02-1999, 06:21 PM
Manny

Default Lincoln LS Test Drive - Bad News

I test drove an LS8. I waited months to driv ethe car - it looks cool and seemed promising with all of the hype. The car did not have the steering wheel or interior options shown at that Lincoln web site. The ads say wood and leather, but the brochure and dealer assure that the wood is all fake - old-growth plastic. All could be forgiven with the very reasonable price.

But then the car self-destructs during the test-drive. Every computer system failed. The speedo stopped working during the 75 MPH highway test. The transmission was stuck in third gear. The ABS gave out. The traction control system failed. The dealer could only apologize in embarrassment as they retired the car. Maybe it will be good once they get the bugs out - you know what they say about first year designs.
Old 09-02-1999, 07:57 PM
Tom

Default That's too bad for Linclon...

Hi Mammy:
Its too bad the dealer gave you the improper vehicle for test drive especially those with problems. Lincoln LS is a high expectation vehicle where a lot of people who associated with Lincoln as land yachts will go for a test drive, including myself. Lincoln will definitely lose some potential customers as they don't notice their dealer gave some faulty one for test drive. I have an appointment for LS V8 sports package test drive sometimes before middle of October cause the Canadian allocation of the next 5 months is a complete sold off. Ford Canada has to get some out of the batch for test drive.
Tom
97 A4 1.8TQMS
99 JETTA IV GLS 2.0
Old 09-03-1999, 08:27 PM
Ned

Default what u can do

modify an existing A8 with the S8 suspension and Wheels, and throw a bit of work into the engine. You will be lacking the 6 speed, but then again, would you really want a car that size in manual?

Ned
Old 09-10-1999, 08:41 AM
BenC

Default Stick is main S8 attraction

The stick shift is essential for the car to truly be an S8. The automatic just takes all the fun out of the sporting aspect of driving. IMHO
Old 09-11-1999, 06:32 AM
Rob

Todd W- email me privately, Sorry I can't remember your face with your name (nt)how you know my bro?
Old 09-23-1999, 04:07 AM
Brown

Default Wait a minute

Please do not "dis" Saabs which are not GM US based. They are Euro based and I give them much credit for hanging in the US market without good $$help from a bigger auto maker (or even the largest auto maker) such as GM. Remember, Audi is a suped-up VW which is good and also remember that Audi is responsible for many new safty regulations for all cars and trucks. Remember all the recall and accidents caused by Audi. Audi, Saab, BMW, Benz, Volvo's and Jag's are all good and exciting cars.
Old 10-05-1999, 11:14 AM
Todd W

Default Re: Wait a month

This discussion died long ago, let it rest.