A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Assorted Questions / Inquiries for 2002 S8

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 08:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Assorted Questions / Inquiries for 2002 S8

Hey gang, as always I can never get any straight answers from the dealerships in town, so I turn to the Audiworld forums. I swear I should just hire one of you to do all of my maintenance. If anyones in Vegas, let me know ; )

Anyway, here are my random questions/concerns.

1.) The manual says the car is a 23 gallon fuel tank. When my gauge was in the deep red and the computer gave me a projected range of 5 miles, I stopped and fueled up. The tank took in 20.7 gallons of fuel. Is it only a 21 Gallon tank, is there a reserve tank I am unaware of, did someone maybe modify it?

2.) Exactly how stiff should the suspension be on the S8? I bought the car from a repo auction and it ran very smooth for the 1st year, but it has been progressively getting more and more shaky and lots of vibration. I put 4 new tires on the car and it made no difference. Any thoughts? I mean it's like ratttling bad at times.

3.) I had put this question up before, but has anyone ever towed this car behind a moving truck before? I need to move from Atlanta to Las Vegas and not one moving truck rental company says they can accomadate this car due to its size and/or weight. It's 1k to ship it which it looks like I might have to do, but was wondering if anyone had luck towing it themselves and with what company.

Thanks in advance for everyones help!
Old 09-03-2008, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default 3. DO NOT tow it with the wheels on the ground

You need to flat bed it. The torsen can allow two wheel towing for something like a few miles at 40 MPH or less....it's in the manual.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Curious about #1 also....

The most I've been able to squeeze into the tank is 19.5g, with the computer showing a range of 10mi and also deep in the red area. Anyone know the real "usable" capacity? I really don't want to run so low as to under lubricate the fuel pump, but the 4 "mystery" gallons add about 80-90 miles to the range. I've searched the forum previously, but really haven't found the answer (although I imagine that someone will reply shortly with a link that will show me what I missed).
Old 09-03-2008, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default bad idea, the fuel pump runs hot when it's not submersed in gas. I always fill up at a 1/4 tank.

getting the pump replaced will run you $1k, $500 if you do it yourself.

When I parted out my car, I pumped about 4 gallons out of the tank by hand. That four gallons was only about 4" deep on both sides of the tank (way below the pump).

Bob
Old 09-03-2008, 09:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: 3. DO NOT tow it with the wheels on the ground

Oh, for sure was going to flatbed it. I was just wopndering if anyone has done it. Im getting no where with Budget, Uhaul, Penske and others. I have companies saying they will ship it for $900.00. Should I just take them up on that and call it a day?
Old 09-03-2008, 10:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Curious about #1 also....

lol! I called them "mystery gallons" myself, haha.

Good to know on the pump thing, I'll make sure to top off at 1/4 in the future.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Have a professional company ship it

That's my opinion.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Having run out of gas when I first got it, I can tell you it's just about 24 gallons

Driving it home (cross country) one of the fuel level sensors got stuck and the gauge read 1/4 tank when it was actually empty. I ran out of gas just about 8 miles from the filling station I was going to stop at. Missed it by <i>that</i> much...

Had I not been driving all night, I think I would have caught the problem with math but I was tired and new to the car and for all I knew at the time, I could get 30mpg highway cruising. Now I know that to be impossible

A maintenance worker gave me somewhere between 1-2 gallons and I put in about 22 at the pump, and have been very cautious about resetting the trip odometer at every fill-up since.

A forum member told me to run some techron through the tank to free the sticking fuel level sender and it seems to have done the trick but I still watch it carefully.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:13 AM

I've even put cheap cars IN the moving truck. Company was paying tho.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:31 AM

Default Re: #1

Basically what you're saying is that the numbers don't add up, correct?

Please correct me if i'm wrong here guys:

A portion of your tanks "Total Capacity" is a "Reserve". I believe it's around 2 Gallons or so (manual lists it I think). What this means is that despite the fact that your car is indicating a range of "xx miles" or "xx Gallons" remaining, you should still have some extra fuel in there.

Another variable is whether or not your fuel pumps correct for volume/temperature. Read on...

By far the most meaningful difference in the way gasoline is sold in Canada relates to the concept of "Volume Corrected to 15ยบ C". The volume of gasoline, propane or diesel fuel, like that of any other liquid, varies according to its temperature. A brochure published by Industry Canada's Weights and Measures Division entitled "Volume Corrected to 15ยบ C" states, in part "..the technology that works as follows: A temperature sensor continuously measures the temperature as the fuel is being metered. It transmits the readings to an electronic register, which automatically selects the right correction factor and applies it to the amount of fuel to calculate the volume at 15ยบ C. So, when you see the words "Volume Corrected to 15ยบ C", you know that the volume of energy your fuel dollar buys is not influenced by the temperature of the fuel."

So, if the pump you are refueling from does not "Volume Correct", you can also expect to notice deviations from fill to fill...

Quick Reply: Assorted Questions / Inquiries for 2002 S8