A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A8 D2 OEM audio question

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A8 D2 OEM audio question

Hey everyone, new guy here, first post. I tried searching the forums but didn't find very relevant topics to answer my question(s).

So i bought a 2000 A8 4.2 Quattro (EU model) from a friend, in a great condition, has original Flat Fives, authentic carbon interior, recaro seats and loads of other goodies. But there's one thing lacking, and that's the audio. I also own a 99 A6 4.2L V8 which has the factory Bose speaker system. I love the way it sounds, but for some reason, my A8 while loaded with extras has a ****ty OEM audio.
My question is this: Was there a Bose OEM audio with the OEM woofer ever installed on the D2 from factory? I have the rns-d (which is the same as the one in my A6) so it should support the same system and i've found bose door and deck speakers on ebay and even an OEM amp for the D2, but i cannot seem to track down a woofer/bass driver for the D2 or even the OEM part number. Is it super rare or was it never made?
Also, if it is simply rare, could i use the A8 D3 OEM woofer instead? How much retrofitting/cable splicing would it entail?
I know i could just use an aftermarket setup and so on, but i like originality and would love to use OEM tech. I know the Bose system sounds great (because it does sound great in my A6) so i don't want to go aftermarket unless i have no choice what so ever.
Thanks in advance if anyone can shed some light on the matter.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hi Alex and welcome.
The Bose system was installed in the D2. It was quite common on the S8 and L variants. AFAIK it never came fitted with a factory Sub.
Some people love it, some don't. I think it sounds good and the RNS-D has some great adjustability in base and treble. High volume gets no distortion, which is a high mark in my book.

The amp gets located in the entertainment bay on the left hand side of the boot under floor level in the side recess.
The wiring all runs through the left hand side of the car - pre amps from the RNS-D to the amp clearly. I'm not sure if it feeds the front speakers or only the rears (because people have had trouble in fitting upgraded head units in the past). The rears get a Bose logo, but the fronts are behind the door card trim. Someone more qualified than me can answer that.
For a Sub, I would think an A6 sub would be easier to install than a D3 (which won't be Bose). Just copy your A6's wiring.

Can I assume "EU" spec means you're in Europe or England?

Last edited by twentysevenlitres; 12-30-2017 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks, Marty.

Yes, you are correct, i am in mainland Europe and the car is european model (made in italy i think, or for Italian market, not exactly sure). It's been imported and now in a colder northern part of EU.
I did contemplate getting a bose woofer from an A6 C5, but was left wondering, if it would even fit, since it is located in the passenger side rear compartment behind the wheel well (i think) and the shape would probably be different from A8.
Another idea, as already mentioned, would be to get the bose woofer from A8 D3 since it also attaches to the rear deck, but then the plugs would be completely different?
I found a full bose kit for the A8 and it's on the way, but i can't help but think, that it's not as good with low end bass, as the bose in A6 without that woofer.