A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

audi a8 p0300 - p0304 random misfires on all of bank 1 and p 1340

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default audi a8 p0300 - p0304 random misfires on all of bank 1 and p 1340

2000 A8

codes: p1340 p0300 p0301 p0302 p0303 p0304

symptoms: rattling for a second aruond 1000rpm,
mil flashes on deceleration and will go off after about 20 seconds or when i accelerate.

I've replaced camshaft sensor and ordered a crankshaft sensor. I've searched online for info on flashing mil, misfires, during deceleration and found little. any ideas.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Could be a valve timing problem on bank #1 (ONE possibility). Although chain rattle on cold start up is not unusual with a 40V engine, due to variable chain tensioner design...it might point to a problem there(?). If the chain tensioner pad on that side is broken (gone?) which is common failure at higher mileage, the chain could have jumped time.
To be sure, you'd first have to check proper belt timing (TDC on crank pulley mark) matching with cam belt pulleys set exactly at cylinder #5 (holes on pulleys at exact proper point).

Belt jumps are possible, but rare, so....

If all is well with the belt, under the valve cover the marks on the cams have to line up properly or timing has jumped...which could easily cause misfires on that side.

Just one theory...links have a similar problem, when chain pad broke complete:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2757525

http://forums.quattroworld.com/a8/msgs/49862.phtml

Name:  Camtiming0.jpg
Views: 2882
Size:  185.4 KB

Name:  Campulleys.jpg
Views: 2167
Size:  13.3 KB

Name:  CamlockT40005.jpg
Views: 2940
Size:  21.8 KB

Name:  D2bank2.jpg
Views: 4730
Size:  18.1 KB

Last edited by silverd2; 09-07-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

i had the same exact problem beginning of this year, silverd2 sent you a few links, that is exactly what ended up happening to me,
all four of the cilinders of one bank were misfiring so i rechecked the timing belt line-up (as i have recently changed it and thought that might be the problem)
but when i opened the valve cover i found that the plastic piece that the camshaft timing chain runs along was broken,

if its not that, its def. in the camshaft area.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Had the same problem last year, my timing chain tensioner snapped and the chain became loose, is the rattling coming from the right side of the engine near the front? thats where that chain is located and would cause the noise
Old 09-10-2011, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by sonata54
Had the same problem last year, my timing chain tensioner snapped and the chain became loose, is the rattling coming from the right side of the engine near the front? thats where that chain is located and would cause the noise
On his 40V "AKB" motor (facelift D2 A8/S8), bank #1 tensioner and chain are at the rear of the engine (passengers side, cylinders 1-4)...and on the front of the engine on bank #2 (driver's side, cylinders 5-8).
Old 07-24-2014, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default P1340

Originally Posted by silverd2
On his 40V "AKB" motor (facelift D2 A8/S8), bank #1 tensioner and chain are at the rear of the engine (passengers side, cylinders 1-4)...and on the front of the engine on bank #2 (driver's side, cylinders 5-8).
Silverd or others - how did you eventually get this fixed?
did you have to pull the engine and then work on the tensioners?
(and chains etc)

I have a 4.2 (02 A8)
I just threw a P1340, (also P0300) and am wondering if there is some sequence to check to see if I can get this fixed w/o pulling the engine, and then doing the entire (and very expensive) timing chain fix - is there some sequence of things to try to fix first first?

thanks,
Old 07-25-2014, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Despite what the Bentley manual says, it's possible to change the bank 1 tensioner/chain without removing the engine.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by JoePGT5S
Despite what the Bentley manual says, it's possible to change the bank 1 tensioner/chain without removing the engine.
???
There is no mention in Bentley (or anywhere I've seen) of pulling the engine to change anything in a head...either side...only removing the head itself, and that can be done without pulling the engine, too...it's been done.

Bentley (and Audi dealers) do pull the timing belt and both cams to change the tensioner (cam adjuster)....same on both banks.
I changed bank #1 adjuster (passenger's side) without even detensioning the belt or removing the exhaust cam...tight, but very doable >>

quattroworld.com Forums: Replacing cam chain tensioner and/or pads on bank #1 of 40V motor (shorter cut)...

^^ Please read EVERY word of this before attempting ^^

Bank #2 "should" be more difficult because of the placement of the belt sprocket in relation to the adjuster (opposite end from bank #1) and I've been told, by someone who's done it, that the belt and both cams MUST come out...I'll take their word for it, until I attempt it in the coming months...I have a new adjuster on the shelf waiting for that side...I'll let everyone know if the same shortcuts can be taken on that side...we'll see.

CAUTION: I did not do any of this work without the Bentley manual (as always)...I'm not a "complete" reckless idiot. There are too many steps in Bentley for removal and replacement which MUST be strickly adhered to. I did not (and will not) list all of these in that link. I only take short cuts when I realize that they are NOT at all needed for success.

Cheers
Old 07-31-2014, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by silverd2
???
There is no mention in Bentley (or anywhere I've seen) of pulling the engine to change anything in a head...either side...only removing the head itself, and that can be done without pulling the engine, too...it's been done.

Bentley (and Audi dealers) do pull the timing belt and both cams to change the tensioner (cam adjuster)....same on both banks.
I changed bank #1 adjuster (passenger's side) without even detensioning the belt or removing the exhaust cam...tight, but very doable >>

quattroworld.com Forums: Replacing cam chain tensioner and/or pads on bank #1 of 40V motor (shorter cut)...

^^ Please read EVERY word of this before attempting ^^

Bank #2 "should" be more difficult because of the placement of the belt sprocket in relation to the adjuster (opposite end from bank #1) and I've been told, by someone who's done it, that the belt and both cams MUST come out...I'll take their word for it, until I attempt it in the coming months...I have a new adjuster on the shelf waiting for that side...I'll let everyone know if the same shortcuts can be taken on that side...we'll see.

CAUTION: I did not do any of this work without the Bentley manual (as always)...I'm not a "complete" reckless idiot. There are too many steps in Bentley for removal and replacement which MUST be strickly adhered to. I did not (and will not) list all of these in that link. I only take short cuts when I realize that they are NOT at all needed for success.

Cheers
Thanks, this is great info, i will try to source the parts from Blau, and work with my mechanic- i dont have the guts to try this myself - especially as i dont have a covered garage at this time, thanks!
Old 07-31-2014, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by nicaudi
Thanks, this is great info, i will try to source the parts from Blau, and work with my mechanic- i dont have the guts to try this myself - especially as i dont have a covered garage at this time, thanks!
What's a "covered garage"? ...one of those car houses I hear about?