AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d2-platform-discussion-8/)
-   -   Audi S8 1998 transmission problem (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d2-platform-discussion-8/audi-s8-1998-transmission-problem-2817253/)

Primoz 11-23-2011 01:34 PM

Audi S8 1998 transmission problem

This morning my S8 was hard changing gears. After two kilometers I barely raises speed. On the highway it was all right again. Then again at slow speed the same problem. Manually changing was not possible. I stopped the car. Four hours later the car was no longer possible to move neither forwards and not backwards.

Gearbox oil was replaced before 6,000 miles.

The car squeaks past 5,000 miles. In general, when it is cold. In the car service told me that the bed squeaks climate.

What really happened?

Did the auto service center forgot what to do when changing the oil in the gearbox?

silverd2 11-23-2011 04:12 PM

What is the total mileage on the car?

Did all the gears light up at the same time on instrument cluster display?

If the transmission pan was not removed to change the filter also, the fluid change did no good...possibly harm, depending on total mileage and if fluid had never been changed before.

Primoz 11-23-2011 10:01 PM

The total mileage is 147.000.

And yes, all the gears light up at the same time also in manual mode.

I don't know if the filter was changed. I hope so. It should be.

Now I'll go to the car to see what's new.

Primoz 11-23-2011 10:05 PM

I forgot to write that fluid was changed every 60.000 miles

Primoz 12-05-2011 03:35 AM

Nothing new. The car still stays.
I asked a lot arround but not there are not many eksperts about this problem in my country.
The computer - tester showed "mechanical problem". I was told so.

There are two auto-servises who said (on phone) that the transmisson is gone and that they can fix (rebuilt) it for 2500 EUR.
It is interesting that everyone pays the same price and all the audi A8/S8 have the same problem in my country.
But on this side (audiworld) I have read that there are also other possible mistakes and that there is not necesary to change (rebuilt) transmission in each case.
Any ideas what to do first?

Thanks

p.s.
Sorry to my english. I didn't use it for a few years.

Primoz 12-07-2011 04:55 AM

On service 10.000 km back they put only 4,5 quarts of fluid into tranmission. Is that o.k.?

tozoM8 12-07-2011 06:02 AM

You are 3qt low.

Primoz 12-07-2011 06:08 AM

Should we change filter and fill new fluid again (enough) or transmission is gone?

Now it looks like on page:

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...servicing.html

third picture from back.

silverd2 12-07-2011 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Primoz (Post 24233045)
On service 10.000 km back they put only 4,5 quarts of fluid into tranmission. Is that o.k.?

No matter what, the trans has to be refilled till overflow...AFTER it has been put through the gears as described on Audipages and at the proper temp.

IF they simply drained the pan (cold and quick), without removing it and the filter, it "might" be "possible" that all that drained was about 4.5 quarts(?)...I don't know.
If the pan and filter is not removed and the motor is not run, it will not drain all that it can. Mine drained 7 liters (7.4 quarts) with pan and filter off...cold, motor not running and it was NOT low before starting...only drained for about a half hour...many wait over-night.

Primoz 12-07-2011 10:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am really thankfull for your and other advices.

The problem is that on service they had information that into transmission comes 4 liters of fluid and they put it so much 10.000 km back. The pan and filter were remuved. Nobody checked if the pan is full. And now I have problems as described on the begining of this post.

Now I don't know if I should pay new filter, fluid,... and hope that the car will work or to blame service and say them that I want them to pay the damage they probably did with not filling it enough.

10.000 km back there was nothing in the pan and now it looks like (from audiworld):