A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back seat sig lighter (12V outlet) stopped working...?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back seat sig lighter (12V outlet) stopped working...?

My back seat lighter socket stopped working yesterday. Front one works fine. Anyone have similar problem or know where to start to look. I have a 98' A8 that is still under warrenty but it costs me $50 for the visit. I will wait until next time I have to bring it in to get it checked out if there is no simple fix. Please advise.
Old 03-26-2003, 12:25 PM

Default Check the following:

First of all, I would check to make certain the unit is in fact not drawing a power supply. First, I would try reinirting and depressing the cigarette lighter. If that is what you used to determine the unit is faulty, then try another 12V Car powered apparatus. (ie- a handheld GPS or a radar detector) Often times with the varied depths and contact points, you may think that the outlet has failed but it is just a faulty design or the ground pin has retracted into the unit you had been using and is not making contact. Also the the hot leads may not be hitting their points properly.

If none of that works, check the fuse box. I am not certain which fuse it is. You are told in your manual. Make certain if the fuse is blown to put one with the correct aperage in. Do not rely on the colour or the said amperage on the fuse you remove as that may have , in fact, been your problem. Always use the correct amperage fuse for the said item. If you do not do this, you are liable to start a small electrical fire. Do not ask me how I know this but rely on my experience as a guide.

If both of these two simple test fail, it is very likely something complex. You may end up searching the car for loose grounds or split power leads and the like. I hope, for your sake, it is something simple like an overloaded fuse.

If you do not have your manual with you, I can look up the fuse number or take a picture of the diagram and post it. If you have already gone through all these measures, sorry for being a layman and wasting your time but I hope it helps others.
Old 03-26-2003, 02:34 PM

Default Re: Back seat sig lighter (12V outlet) stopped working...?

Make sure that the sefety switch is on ,it is betwen driver side pw.switches.That switch locks rear power window and cigarett lighter so my kids can not play with it.
I hope it helps.
Best of luck.
Old 03-26-2003, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Back seat sig lighter (12V outlet) stopped working...?

THANKS...!!! that was it! I inadvertantly hit the child lock by the window. I clicked it off and on came my radar detector! And we all know that is a MUST have A8 item!

Thanks again Janos are the best! Oh, and thanks Bobby for your suggestions as well. Hey can you tell me where the fuse box is on this car. The dealer that I bought the car from has to order me a owners manual. Thanks...
Old 03-26-2003, 09:37 PM

Default The fuse box is on the passenger side "kick" panel near the floor.

There is a plastic "blot" that you twist to remove the cover and there are the fuses. There are plenty up there to keep you guessing what does what for weeks, but on top of that, there is one in the trunk with a few switches for the ABS and the like. I am glad it was something very simple. I would never want to dabble in the electical wiring with a car this sophisticed. Only the bold and the brave (PaulW) are so inclinded to do such things as rewire for a tiptonic and the like.
Old 03-27-2003, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: The fuse box is on the passenger side "kick" panel near the floor.

THanks so much I was wondering what that was down there with the plastic screw.