AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d2-platform-discussion-8/)
-   -   battery dead, can't open trunk (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d2-platform-discussion-8/battery-dead-cant-open-trunk-2950089/)

BrianC72gt 06-02-2018 12:02 AM

Glad someone chimed in with the "charge it through the cigarette lighter trick" I passed on that advice here long ago as well. But more importantly, answer me this: How in the hell do you get to drive a D3 while your wife drives the D2? Clearly I've been doing something wrong all these years.

Goodson 12-06-2018 06:14 PM

Trunk locked, key stuck in the ignition? Pull the back seats down, and crawl into the trunk. Then pull the manual release from inside the trunk.

Originally Posted by audijim113 (Post 25157090)
the key opens door but will not open trunk. Is the trunk lock meant to open with a key?

I've never used a key to open it. Always used remote first (prior to dead battery), then pushing button on trunk unlatches it.

With the trunk locked, I can't get to the battery.

I just cut the cigarette adapter off a little 12 portable compressor. I'm going to connect a 12 jumper battery to the wires and introduce 12V into the system through the cigarette lighter socket. Hopeully this will allow either the remote key fob or trunk release button to unlock so that the trunk push button will unlatch the trunk.

Goodson 12-06-2018 06:15 PM

Trunk locked and key stuck in the ignition because the battery is dead? Pull the back seats forward, crawl into the trunk, then pull the manual release to open the trunk from the inside.

spannerrash 12-06-2018 09:12 PM

My 2002 S8 spends most of its time with the battery disconnected and I have had no problems getting in and out of the boot.

Turn the key all the way ccw unlocks the boot, I can then remove the key if I wish and open and close the boot all day long by pressing the button (lock barrel) in.

To lock up again, simple insert key and turn cw. Pushing the lock barrel now does nothing.

audijim113 12-14-2018 05:39 PM

A little late replying. Wife D2 and me D3? Actually, she doesn't to drive a car with "all that electronic stuff". (proximity lock/unlock, finger touch start, MMI for radio, heat and other controls, plus "beeping" warning close to other cars and more). I told her, "Fine, if you don't want technology, I'll get you a model T with a crank start"

As for the "jumper" through the cigarette lighter, no problem at all. However, you need something that is a 12 V adapter, not a USB type device that has a circuit inside. I cut the cigarette adapter from a 12V tire pump.

Lastly, getting through the "boot". Have you ever heard of trying to put 10 lbs of **** in a 5 lb bag? Back when I originally posted this, I weighed about 325. (don't know what that is in KG or "stones"). Now that I'm "down" to 250 lbs, you wouldn't call me "skinny" and I doubt I could crawl through anything smaller than a 55 gal barrel. Back when I was big, doc wanted to do an MRI. They had to send me to a different hospital where the MRI was almost big enough to drive a VW bug through.

Nitschke 09-29-2021 04:03 PM

A late head screwdriver did the trick

I recently ran into this with our old 1999 D2 A8l ~ after trying the ski pass to no avail I finally tried a flat head screwdriver in the keyhole on the trunk. Once I got the cylinder to rotate just a little bit I went back to the the key and was able to pop the trunk

jfrahm 10-01-2021 03:50 AM

It's good to lube and use the trunk lock every so often to keep that option available.