A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beleaguered 745 owner looking at an '04...

Old 10-19-2003, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Got rid of my 745LI

Could you elaborate on how to integrate the V60 with the 04 A8L MMI? I'm glad I didn't buy a 745LI!! Thanks (04 A8L night blue/amaretto should be delivered this week!!!)
Old 10-19-2003, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: So you only use the V60?

Yes, I only use the Audi phone. I'm too practical to pay for 2 phones, although I will probably maintain some minutes on the OnStar plan to have it available in a pinch.

I finally figured out the problem with my phone. I did not always integrate into the system. I found that the phone has to be fully seated to work. I was placing it in the cradle and it would lock in place. However, I noticed that if I pushed down quite hard, there was a second "click" that fully seated it. Knock on wood, it hasn't been a problem since.

I find the phone system cumbersome. I would definitely prefer a better system. The OnStar lady can get cranky sometimes, misunderstand a command or number and say "goodbye." Also, the system doesn't work with well with the window/sunroof open or with talking kids in the back.

At the very least, it would be nice to have more than 20 memory spots in the MMI. Using the voice dialing takes more time, but I guess it's not a bad tradeoff for safety's sake.

In any case, I would not make a decision about the A8L based on the phone. It's a great car despite the phone issues. At the worst, I could live with the quirks and still have an ear to ear grin everyday.
Old 10-19-2003, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

As I posted above, the ghost may have been in my head!
Old 10-19-2003, 07:40 AM

Default Great information.

Like you, I hate the thought of having two phones. My first 745 came with a Motorola Timeport the size of a small New England state, so I kept a second phone to carry. All that forwarding... this voicemail, that voicemail... big pain. I wouldn't want to go back to that.

Slightly "cumbersome" I can handle though. Thanks again for your insight.

When a call is incoming, have you had problems answering it hands-free? My Audi service tech did mention that was a continuing issue.
Old 10-19-2003, 07:47 AM

Default My second 745 experience...

... has been worlds better than the first. But, at this price point, I think it's fair to expect more than "better than the last nightmare." Still, throw the car into a curve at 60 MPH and it's hard to match the BMW. That's assuming, of course, that the iDrive guy doesn't start barking at you in German at the same time.

Did you take an astronomical hit trading the '03 745 in to Audi?
Old 10-19-2003, 09:34 AM

Default Telephone

Page 33 in this forum- Telephone heading
Old 10-19-2003, 09:36 AM

Default No profit

No "HIT" but no profit. Should have had close to $10K; made $3 K from Audi trade and BMW offered zero.
Old 10-19-2003, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Phone issue has been covered by all below, so some option feedback...

First, everyone is different, so note that these are my opinions based on my preferences:

1. Cold weather and convenience packages are no brainers. Gets you basic things like heated rear seats, heated steering wheel, trunk pass-through, auto-close trunk, all wothwhile.

2. I got rear-seat climate control and have used it only on a couple of occasions with my kids and once with adult passengers....could probably get along fine without it. Probably would have same opinion on rear-seat lumbar if I had it (was supposed to but dealer goofed on my order)

3. Front seat massage is an unnecessary frill, but oh what a frill. Nothing like getting in the car after a round of golf, setting the seat heater on '6' and getting the lumbar tube rolling up and down your lower back. Worth every penny in my book.

4. Parktronic is VERY useful on this car as I find I still can't really read where the front bumper of the car is even after two months of driving.

5. Extended leather. I think it adds a nice finishing touch to the car, especially the additional stitching on the center console. Completely a subjective preference thing.

6. Wheels. Another preference and practicality issue. I prefer the look of the 5-spoke 18's and don't have the patience to trade out wheels seasonally, so I got the 18's as there are many more choices for all-season tires. If you go 19's, you'll want to either swap out in winter or get all-season 19's (limited pretty much to Michelin Pilot SPort A/S). If you have an aftermarket wheel that you like, don't get either upgrade and save your money for your aftermarket wheel.

7. Didn't get solar sunroof because Seattle climate not extreme enough to warrant it. Didn't get Alcantara package because dealer convinced me that having it in the roof liner just meant more potential scuff marks that are much harder to clean than they are on standard roof liner material. And didn't get dual-pane glass only because it put me over my target price for the whole car incl tax, so I talked myself out of it.

Good luck with your decision. Phone excluded, I think you'll love this car vs. the 745 except on the tightest of high-speed turns (and how often is that an issue?)
Old 10-19-2003, 09:50 AM

Default Re: The deal on '04 A8L phone integration.

Jeff, There's no way to dial a number on MMI, it's all voice activated, either as stored numbers with nametags ("Office") or you have to recite the actual number slowly.
Robin
Old 10-19-2003, 10:05 AM
Elder Member

Default Re: if changing tires anyway ...

Personally, I'd go with a dedicated winter tire rather than an all-season. The A/S would have better peformance in the dry, but probably not in wet, and certainly not on snow or ice.

I really don't corner hard on the street with my S8, winter or summer ... honest, I don't. When I first got my Pirelli 210 Snowsports, I gave them a "test" and could definitely feel those heavily siped tread blocks squirming around a bit. In normal driving, this isn't noticeable. The biggest difference switching to summer tires is that S-03's are just so darn linear and are phenomenal under hard braking, which I do practice getting off Interstates :-)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Beleaguered 745 owner looking at an '04...