A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C hookup info

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: I'm not going to answer all your questions

Sledgehammers work well too
Old 04-18-2018, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by garibaldi
Would you or anyone happen to know if the threads on the adapters that are made to convert an R-12 system to R-134A will thread onto that low side fitting up by the wondshield, that way I can just use the machine?
I wil be finding that out soon, since I bought an adapter kit. They sure look it. The guy at the auto parts store cut open the package, and let me take the part I thought would do it outside to the car, and it did not screw right on. But after I took it back inside with my switch previously unscrewed from the car, the R-12 stuff screwed into my switch (which screws onto the car), and the other parts in the kit screwed to the kit part that screwed into my switch. ? I concluded that either I don't know how to work a screw, or I was being too careful in trying the new part, to keep from messing it up if it didn't fit. I've also loaded some websites about thread fittings to dig a little more deeply, but haven't read them yet. I don't want to screw up the threads on the car. The threads on the yellow hose of my gauge set, which screw over the 30 lb R-134a tank outlet, seem to screw right over the car as well.

I'm pretty sure my Bentley instructs me to unscrew the switch and install an adapter (an Audi part, of course) on the car to work on it. Its an early 1997, engine code ABZ.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

No, the R-12 conversion fitting will not screw onto the car fitting where the low pressure switch is located near the wiper motor on my early 1997 A8Q. That car fitting seems to be an Acme thread, same as what's on my 30 lb R-134a can. My yellow hose will screw on. I was messing with it last night, and seem to have enough hoses and fittings lying around that I was able to cobble together a setup that may work. I have to check for Schraeder valve depressors in it to be sure. The hose colors are all messed up, though. There is a thread or 2 around that says one needs a "tank" adapter for that fitting, which seems to make sense now.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

I did get a "tank adapter" fitting on ebay, but it was so long that it bottomed out on the aluminum refrigerant tubing before it could depress the Schraeder valve in the factory port (after unscrewing the low pressure switch normally installed there). So I couldn't get any refrigerant in. The Schraeder valve in the tank adapter gets depressed by the refrigerant charging hose, and then it depresses the factory Schraeder valve.

I was able to grind the tank adapter shorter so that the factory Schraeder valve was able to be depresssed by the tank adapter Schraeder.