A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam chain tensioner shoe - can it be improved?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 01:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted on a Porsche forum, they say Porsche updated their tensioner pad material.

http://986forum.com/forums/performan...-cleaning.html
Old 03-01-2012, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gOOOOran
I posted on a Porsche forum, they say Porsche updated their tensioner pad material.

http://986forum.com/forums/performan...-cleaning.html
Interesting...I don't have dimensions to compare...my unbroken one broke into pieces during removal.

They look really close, but I'd do some measurements before removing the old ones...unless you have an intact D2 tensioner.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I bought some Chinese copies of the Audi pads from ebay last year, but not with the intention to use just to get the dimensions. I can compare with those. Interesting that you intact pad broke when you were removing it, another bit of evidence how brittle they become with age.

What do you think about replacing the whole tensioner unit and chain with a 32valve chain? I knwo its a step backwards in terms of performance but maybe good for durability?
Maybe its impossible, the gears on the 32v may be different size or spacing compared to 40v?
Old 03-02-2012, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by gOOOOran
I bought some Chinese copies of the Audi pads from ebay last year, but not with the intention to use just to get the dimensions. I can compare with those. Interesting that you intact pad broke when you were removing it, another bit of evidence how brittle they become with age.

What do you think about replacing the whole tensioner unit and chain with a 32valve chain? I knwo its a step backwards in terms of performance but maybe good for durability?
Maybe its impossible, the gears on the 32v may be different size or spacing compared to 40v?
It would be a simpler system, but you'd lose the torque spread VVT provides...probably same peak, but not over as wide an rpm range.
PLUS, if the chain fit, it would be hard to say how your intake valves were timed (exhaust can't change, if timing belt is correct)...retarded (only good low rpm) or advanced (only good high rpm) or mid(?)...and you'd have a constant CEL from cam adjuster error codes sensed by the CPS/ECM.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

hmmm, true it would be messy. Looking at the operation diagram for the variator, it looks like the basic setting is the one where all the gear marks line up like when changing the cam belt (variator in middle position). The torque setting is when the variator pushes up against the chain, I'm guessing thats for low-end torque.

There is a excellent company in the UK that can map out the error codes, so thats not a problem.

The other messy bit would be plugging up the gap left in the cam cover, I would have to chop up the variator to plug up that hole, shameful waste of a working variator.

32v chain only costs £30, so its not too much money wasted to see if it fits.

Still not sure if its worth it, I may just replace the pads and leave it alone.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Porsce Pads dont fit!

DONT BUY THE PORSCHE PADS!
they dont fit.

I received them yesterday. They are 2mm narrower than Audi (this would have been managable I could have sanded down the variator mounting plate), have the same radius curvature, but have a 2mm longer mounting slot than Audi, which makes them pretty much useless as they will slip off the Audi variator.

Here are some pictures to explain.

So I'm back where I started. I will try to ask a company to machine me some pads from Duratron CU60 as posted earlier.
Attached Images      
Old 03-04-2012, 06:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

interesting post on the A4 forum. love the Mcgyver fix.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...=349969&page=3
Old 03-04-2012, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Re the McGyver fix, I would be concerned about the brass...would you pour brass shavings into your oil? Even just a little?

Last edited by Perpetual Novice; 03-04-2012 at 07:29 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Perpetual Novice
Re the McGyver fix, I would be concerned about the brass...would you pour brass shavings into your oil? Even just a little?
WOW!!!!!
As bad as we may think the nylon(?) OEM guides are, brass is a terrible idea...as demonstrated by the poster.
Look at that brass after just 300 miles...and he says only 2 1/100ths of an inch (0.02")!!?? ...I believe he misplaced a decimal point...that is WAY more than 0.02".
I'm surprised he says it runs quiet...maybe so...maybe enough ambient noise to cover the sound...but who knows, as much as I like to tinker, even I wouldn't have wasted time doing this. The brass may be soft enough to be quiet(?)

As for the shavings...probably not a good thing, but theoretically should drain right to the pan, before they could actually get into a channel and clog anything but the filter (next place in the oil circuit)...BUT, agreed...I would NOT purposely put that much brass shaving into my motor...esp at the rate his is eating it.

Entertaining and maybe a good idea for the "post-apocalyptic-road-warrior-use-what-you-can-find" world...but for this one? ...I don't think so
Old 03-04-2012, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anyone investigated these new pads I just found on Ebay tonight?

I'm not sure if I trust them or not. From the detailed pictures they provide in the listing, I don't even see an imprint or a casting number indicating the type of material they used. Input anyone?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/97-98-99-01-...65b1fa&vxp=mtr

My A8 has about 165K miles on it and I'm sure it's overdue for these to be changed(timing belt was done a while ago). Frankly, I don't care if I have to change them with the timing belt, though I'd rather not have to. But if it needs to be done to keep the motor from imploding on itself, let's get them hands dirty.

Quick Reply: cam chain tensioner shoe - can it be improved?