A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam chain tensioner shoe - can it be improved?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by yrk2.7t@curbside
Bringing this back from the dead, and i'm in the market for some new pads.

So I emailed a bunch of Ebay sellers of the replacement pads.

So far I've seen ones that look the same color as the factory originals, grey ones, and black ones.

I've gotten one response so far (one of the factory color ones) and it was that the material was bakelite like the factory ones. Needless to say I will not be purchasing those LOL.

No responses yet from the other sellers...
I've seen the variety of "colors" replacements come in...I don't know about the white ones...just bad photos of tan ones or what(?)

Some old OEM in the engine may look and break like bakelite, but in my case, started as soft tan material like many of the replacements. Mine broke on the side that was chattering at the time...chattering definitely can lead to breaking older pads. When the pad material changes over time due to heat and oil, they become dark and brittle.

Virtually all the pads used in all VVT VW's and Audi's are the same fitment (different adjusters, but same pads), but depending on year and car, some came with black pads (some oem full adjuster replacements do, too) and some with tan ones.

The first photo is a cutaway of the old pad from my '01 D2 A8...a dental pick reveals that the inner core, untouched by years of heat and oil, was still as soft and pliable as new pads...the outer dark layer could break off in brittle chips.

The second photo is the factory replacement I bought, made in 2006...D3 4.2's take exactly the same cam adjuster...newer model adjusters' part #'s end in "P", supposedly improved internal design(? ...not confirmed).

Name:  Tensionerpadmaterial024.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  118.9 KB

Old 10-01-2013, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by silverd2
I've seen the variety of "colors" replacements come in...I don't know about the white ones...just bad photos of tan ones or what(?)

Some old OEM in the engine may look and break like bakelite, but in my case, started as soft tan material like many of the replacements. Mine broke on the side that was chattering at the time...chattering definitely can lead to breaking older pads. When the pad material changes over time due to heat and oil, they become dark and brittle.

Virtually all the pads used in all VVT VW's and Audi's are the same fitment (different adjusters, but same pads), but depending on year and car, some came with black pads (some oem full adjuster replacements do, too) and some with tan ones.

The first photo is a cutaway of the old pad from my '01 D2 A8...a dental pick reveals that the inner core, untouched by years of heat and oil, was still as soft and pliable as new pads...the outer dark layer could break off in brittle chips.

The second photo is the factory replacement I bought, made in 2006...D3 4.2's take exactly the same cam adjuster...newer model adjusters' part #'s end in "P", supposedly improved internal design(? ...not confirmed).

Thanks for the reply.

It would be nice to have the newer "P" adjusters just to be sure everything is solid.

I saw a set of S8 heads where the bottom pad broke up and it actually skipped the chain as I suspect it got hung up on the metal pad. Lucky enough the car was idling and "only" bent 4 intake valves, the ones that are closest to the intake.

But having new pads would be the best compromise possible.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One more thing, what do you think of the Chinese "P" models that are on e-bay?
Old 10-01-2013, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by yrk2.7t@curbside
One more thing, what do you think of the Chinese "P" models that are on e-bay?
I've given that a lot of thought and considering they're half OEM price and the Chinese really are capable of building quality (there's good Chinese and bad Chinese), I wouldn't be that scared of trying one.

Those sellers have sold a lot of those, but I've yet to read a post from an actual buyer on any forum...so no early real world opinions yet.