A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam tensioners?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam tensioners?

Anyone try these?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251377988273...84.m1423.l2649
Old 11-26-2013, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jmmillerfzr
I don't actually know anyone who has installed one of these Chinese models, but unless I find a good deal on an OEM (not likely) I will have no fear of using one of these when it comes time to change my bank #2 adjuster (bank #1 already replaced with OEM I got lucky and found cheap, before the Chinese models were available).

Before these were available on eBay, I had already found the manufacturer in China ("Glossy") who would only sell them in large lots...they ignored my emails when asking about buying a single unit. I believe all the various eBay sellers that list these now bought from the same Chinese supplier.

Chinese made is not necessarily a bad thing anymore..they can make good stuff at good prices: cheap labor and willing to accept a small profit margin, esp when sold in quantity. A lot of quality aftermarket (and OEM) items from German companies have been made in Chinese factories for a long time now...bearings, electronic, suspension parts, etc..
Old 11-26-2013, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

I agree just because it is made in China doesn't mean it is junk. I'm going to pull the trigger and give them a shot. The last few day it has been warmer and my commute is short so I think I got some time. I've only had the rattle on startup for the last few days. I'll up date after I get them installed.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well ended up buying the ebay cam adjusters. Both pads on the drivers side were gone. One was floating around and made for a difficult removal of the adjuster and the cam. Overall took about five hours and now she runs like a champ. Did notice something interesting on the stock adjuster, the screen on the adjuster was cut out? Wondering if it was done by a dealer at some point. I'll try to post a few pics of the carnage and keep updated on how the adjuster works. So far started the car about 10 times and no more rattle and no more codes. I only did the drivers side, wonder how bad the passenger side is??
Old 02-16-2014, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Adjusters

Yes the Pass side is harder to do. I bought my kits from advance automotion. Chinese type adjusters, Audi chain, and all the gaskets for a good price.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by scooterfree62
Yes the Pass side is harder to do. I bought my kits from advance automotion. Chinese type adjusters, Audi chain, and all the gaskets for a good price.
Actually, the passenger's side should be much easier, since it can be done without removing the timing belt or even lifting the exhaust cam >>>

http://forums.quattroworld.com/a8/msgs/55496.phtml
Old 02-17-2014, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Adjusters

I guess that could be true if not doing the timing belt too. but I changed the cam seals and chains too. Did the timing belt at the same time. There is less room to work with on that side. Air intake, fuel hoses and the bottom bolts for the exhaust cam hard to get at.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jmmillerfzr
I agree just because it is made in China doesn't mean it is junk. I'm going to pull the trigger and give them a shot.
Even Genuine Audi chains adjusters are now coming with made in China stickers. I'm unfamiliar with no name asian adjusters, i still only use the genuine ones.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

thinking about just replacing the pads
any thoughts on that?
Old 11-20-2016, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

https://www.europaparts.com/cam-chai...9088p-oem.html

They say it is oem supplier,has anyone bought this one and installed?
Price is really great if it is oe supplier.
ecs price is 658$,jim ellis 653$,car part pros 520eur plus 89eur shipping

Quick Reply: Cam tensioners?