A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can somebody please help?! Need A LOT of info on(more)

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-1999, 11:14 PM
S4 Dino

Default Can somebody please help?! Need A LOT of info on(more)

the aluminum spaceframe audi offers....advantages/disadvantages, technical stuffs if possible.

I am doing a university research project for my engineering course and the title is "Use of Aluminum in automobile spaceframe." I believe it has to be quite technical, but so far, I can't find any information, both from books and the net. So if someone can please help give me some lead or insight, I would really really appreciate it!!!
Thanks first!
Old 11-16-1999, 05:21 AM
mrw

Anyone know how much an A8 weighs??
Old 11-16-1999, 07:08 AM
mrw

FYI, 99 A8 wieghs 3902lbs. so the 2k one must be lighter.
Old 11-16-1999, 11:40 AM
Reggie

Default You need to get a library that has Auto Industry Magazines

I have a free subscription to some since I have worked on LEDs displays and lighting for Autos and now supply ASICs that can be used in auto. AI is one magazine.

There advantages are the weight savings, but to see these gains, the car must be designed from the ground up. Disadvantages are that finding the right people to work on them when they get damaged and repairing the Al properly. Also I have heard the joints may loosen with age (more of a comment I have heard on the 928 - also a Al body car.)

You may have to find a company that has a library or plan a trip to Detroit to find magazines like Automotive Industry etc. You can find articles in old issues of Road and Track which is targeted for consumers.

Reggie Short

98.5 2.8QMs
Old 11-16-1999, 03:01 PM
S4 DINO

Thanks, I will see if I could find the magazines!!!
Old 11-17-1999, 09:52 AM
Jimmy Pribble

Default Here you go...

First, go to www.alcoa.com and search on Audi. I found about 8 articles.

Next, click on the link that I supplied at the bottom to the Society of Automotive Engineers. The link takes you to a paper on Audi Space Frames written by two Audi engineers in 1998. It will cost $10 to get the download. There were other hits when I searched on Audi, as well.

Then, try the patent office. The A8 aluminum space frames has several patents attached to it.

HTH, Good luck!

Jimmy<ul><li><a href="http://pweb.netcom.com/~jkp.mail/index.html">Jimmy's Audi S4 Pages</a></li></ul>
Old 11-18-1999, 09:15 PM
DINO

Thank you, they really help!!!
Old 11-19-1999, 08:32 AM
Jimmy Pribble

Default Oops! Here is the correct link...

to the SAE whitepaper on Audi spaceframes.<ul><li><a href="http://www.sae.org/products/papers/982401.htm">SAE - Audi Spaceframes</a></li></ul>
Old 12-09-1999, 06:14 PM
Lawrence L.

Default I have got to say that this paper you are writing sounds a lot more interesting (more)

than any of the work that I'm doing right now - I'm still in high school, don't ask me what I'm doing in the A8 forum.

The one things that I can really think of off the top of my head is the weight saved and the increase in structural rigidy.

Everyone knows aluminum (AL) is lighter than steel (ST). 30%, 40%, whatever the
magazines or Audi's website tells you.

so we've got that out of the way

The advantage of AL is that since it is lighter, you can have the same dimentions of a
car, but with a lighter load. or if you wnat to think a different way, you can have a larger
car that has lesser weight.

The latter is applied in the A8.

This means that with the same weight, you can have a larger crumple zone and a more
rigid frame. Now I'm sure some people will jump all over me, telling me I've missed out
some very important points, but AL is definatley the way to go.

ie: GM is investing millions if not billions for R&D in ASF (CAR, October '99) - i f a
product as domestic as GM is getting into ASF, should'n't everyone?

don't know if you'll find any of this information useful. Jimmy's info is probabyl more accurate and more in detail