A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998-1999 D2 A8 Fuel Pump Disassembly Tips

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 07:17 PM
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1998-1999 D2 A8 Fuel Pump Disassembly Tips

The material for this article was gleaned while working on two Audi D2 A8 Quattro cars, my black 1998 and my green 1999. The fuel pump on the green car died, and the black car has some serious issues anyway, so it won’t be needing its fuel pump any time soon. From what I've seen, much or all of this information is relevant to the 1997 and 2000-and-on cars too.

My brilliant tech girl did the swap. It’s quite complex. I won’t describe the procedure here; it’s already described in some detail elsewhere. Anyway, part of the black car assembly broke while being removed, and so she ended up making one good fuel pump assembly out of the good parts of both, and I now have a disassessmbled fuel pump to inspire this article. I’m also clear on how minor the broken sub-component is, so that’s encouraging.
The electrical part of the fuel pump assembly, the actual silver-cylinder motor unit, is the one that eventually fails. I did some looking online and I gather that it’s a Siemens/VDO unit, with part number 405052002001Z. So I plan to buy that new, and then assemble the fuel pump assuming I still have all the pieces by then.

I might not, because I do offer them for sale as a paid vendor on this site. Could be that someone breaks one of the sub-components while removing or installing the fuel pump. If you do, then you can certainly go buy a new one for $850+ but if you’d rather just buy the used sub-component from my company, that’s an option too. The main body of the unit has a sort of “spiral staircase” design.

In the middle of the spiral goes a vertical cylinder that’s the fuel level sending unit, part number 4D0919051A on my car, though I gather there’s also a 4D0919051C that would fit.

On top of it fits a spring, and on top of that is a sort of twist-lock plastic cap that can easily break. The spring and cap keep the unit pushed down against … a plastic basket that fits inside a well at the bottom of the spiral staircase.

Inside the basket goes the silver-colored electrical pump motor. Attached to the top of the basket is a black fuel-injection-grade rubber hose that I was able to remove.

At the top of the spiral staircase, a separate plastic lid snaps onto the spiral staircase plastic part. Probably that was easy to assemble but I’m to nervous to try to pry the 20-year old plastic tabs apart so as to separately offer the lid and the spiral staircase. So, I’m only offering them as a unit.

There are two pairs of wires: a blue-and-black pair that’s not easily detachable from the lid (so I don’t offer that for sale separately), and a green-and-brown pair that IS easily detachable from the pump (so I do offer that for sale separately).

Attached to the bottom of the lid is a black plastic hose that I’m scared to remove, so I also don’t offer that separately.

Near the bottom of the spiral-staircase part is a D-shaped filter, which I am also too scared to remove.

I hope your fuel pump removal and installation work goes perfectly but if you do break something then it might not be quite as bad news as when having to replace the entire unit.

~Tanya

Last edited by ocles_inc; 03-05-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's best to wiggle out the old pump and in the new VDO pump from the top without disassembling the white plastic housing:
https://www.motor-talk.de/bilder/wec...208131122.html
You just have to use one or two screwdrivers to slightly bend the two tabs holding the pump while pulling the old pump out with some wiggling.
This way the plastic will not break and you won't have issues geting the two halves together with the o-ring again.

When putting the new VDO pump in, take care that it is aligned properly and inserts fully into the housing.

You can get the official PDF workshop manuals from http://erwin.audi.com for properly removing and reinserting the pump into the tank. The 1 hour access plan allows you to easily download all the ~ 50 PDFs for the D2 and still have time for other downloads.