A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunking front...leaking subframe bush

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 10:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking front...leaking subframe bush

Hi guys,

I've had my A8 Quattro for a few years and the front left subframe mount has been weeping since I bought it...now its very wet with oil and looks broken completely...and I have a nasty clunk over bumps. Not really anyother noise though, front feels a bit "disconnected" though. I've attached a pic of the bush. (not my car in picture)

I'm planning to replace the swaybar bushes and links as well as the control arms, and obviously the 4 subframe bushes. Its annoying as I had the subframe out when replacing the front ring and pinion gear, but couldnt get the bushes in time (or at all) todo them while it was out.

I cant find them ANYWHERE! I've looked one BlauParts, Vagcat, Strong-Flex.eu, worldimpex.com, eliteaudiparts.com, ecstuning.com, eBay etc etc. They have basically every other bush including REAR subframe bushes, but not the front. Vagcat shows the frame, but has no listing for the bush, or the frame as a whole. I dont want to deal with my local Audi dealership as they are pirates and have never helped in the past with the simplest of parts.

Any ideas what I should be looking for and from where? I'm in Australia, but happy to get it posted. I noticed a few Passat and A6 bushes are the same, would these be the same subframe bush?

Thanks in advance
Attached Images  
Old 08-22-2011, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Odd , the front subframe is only "pictured" in the ETKA catalog (in the engine section) but no breakdown or part #'s...sorry.

But curious, what do you mean by "weeping" from a solid rubber bushing. Where does the oil seem to be coming from?
The oil filled motor mount is close by...mounted to the subframe, just inboard of that bushing. If it ruptured and lost it's fluid, I would expect a clunk produced by a "flat" hyro mount (?).
Old 08-22-2011, 06:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah I cant find a part number anywhere for the bushes or the entire subframe.

I assumed the subframe mount was oil filled as its always been oily. But its more likely the engine mount that is leaking then, or a I have an oil leak somewhere, ekkkkk. The knock is definitely suspension related, and I dont think the engine is moving around clunking over bumps.

Here's hoping its just the control arms clunking and the oil is from the engine mount, as at least I can buy them (I think).

I'll climb under it again this weekend with the bumper off, and have a good looking around the entire front area.

Thanks for your help "silverd2"
Old 08-22-2011, 06:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

...also I had forgotten to mention I have had like a thobbing vibration since I owned it too, recently gotten harsher and more constant since the clunk started. I've checked CVs, had front diff rebuilt, new balanced tailshaft, had the transmission checked, new rims, new tires etc...still there, gets worse on heavy acceleration, and turning right lol. So it all might be a left engine mount. It'd be great to get rid of that vibration, its horrible. I'll prob do both mounts if one is stuffed.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Curious to hear what you find...sounds like it could indeed be that mount, esp with the heavy acceleration vibration and right turn thing...it would make sense.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

If that vibration goes away I'll be kicking myself I didnt just investigate that wet mount when I first got it.

Anyway, here's a picture of the subframe mount info I managed to find on VagCat if anyone is interested...I just didnt look hard enough. Was buried under Transmission.

I found the 2 parts of the subframe mount for about US$20. Found engine mounts and US$125ea. Not bad considering.

I can get a set of left and right lower control arms for AU$250 delivered, and the upper arms for AU$180 delivered, but getting close to just ordering the lot from Blauparts which includes 4 upper and 4 lower arms with bushings and ball boints, 2 tie rod ends, 2 sway bar links and the mounting hardware, for AU$665 delivered from the US. Only US$490 if you live in the US; free freight http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail....d=M1A1103-02-A

Now I just need to find a local swaybar bush supplier. They are only US$5 each, but US$45 postage from Poland lol
Attached Images  
Old 08-23-2011, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Well, ...DUH!

That's the only place I didn't look. Just recently loaded ETKA into my computer and have just begun to explore it.

Thanks for that.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have ETKA floating around somewhere, had it for my old VWs, havent used it for the A8. Should reinstall it

Can you find the engine mount on there? I cant see it on VAGCAT under Engine or chassis etc. I've found a supplier, but theres 2 different types, just want to check it out.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Proph3t
I have ETKA floating around somewhere, had it for my old VWs, havent used it for the A8. Should reinstall it

Can you find the engine mount on there? I cant see it on VAGCAT under Engine or chassis etc. I've found a supplier, but theres 2 different types, just want to check it out.
No A8's sold in the US in '96 and never anything but V8 engines here.
Here's all the versions of mounts in ETKA for a 96:

8 cylinder (ABZ,AEM,AGH,AHC,AKG,AKH,AEW or AKJ):
Left side: 4D0 199 381 AB
Right side: 4D0 199 381 AA

6 cyl (AFB or AKN):
Both sides: 4D0 199 381 AF

6 Cyl (AAH,AEJ,ACK or ALG)
Both sides: 4D0 199 381 T

Hope this helps.

What part of Australia? I visited there years ago...brief visits at Sydney and Melbourne, then a few weeks on Tasmania.

Cheers,
Sam
Old 08-23-2011, 04:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for that Sam, I'll run those codes by my supplier. I think I'll get my mechanic friend to do the mounts as I dont fancy laying under a V8 while its not mounted

On US sites I usually select 1997 as it lists my engine code (ABZ) but I dont think you guys ever got a 4 speed Quattro transmission, so have to be careful there. Seems every non-US site is Polish or Russian

It'd be nice if my local Audi dealer would recognize my car as an Australian model and help me out. Apparently its a European model and was sent out to the Melbourne dealership as a dealer demo. Its the only fully body (no black stripe at bottom) Casablanca White Quattro in Australia. Fully optioned, but some things dont line up with the normal Australian models. The front crown gear and pinion drive broke (no idea how) and I had to wait 13weeks for it to arrive direct from ZF in Germany ($2200 later) because the ones Audi had for my model were different, and none of the parts wreckers had a matching one. Nightmare...but still, I love it

I'm on the Sunshine Coast just north of Brisbane (Queensland capital). I have family in both Melbourne and Sydney...and just returned from Tasmania...home of the greatest Drivers Road in the world (according to Top Gear...and me )

Thanks again Sam.

Quick Reply: Clunking front...leaking subframe bush