A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Common Fuel Line leak location in rear?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Common Fuel Line leak location in rear?

Wondering where the most likely leakage point is on the rear fuel lines. My '97 D2 is now exhibiting fuel smell in the cabin in cold mornings.

Previous posts have indicated that the rear (tank) lines have also been known to leak sometimes. I've checked the front lines, both near the FPR (fuel pressure regulator) and closer to the hard lines at the right fender. Both locations look extremely clean- so I doubt I'm seeing leaks there.

Is it usually the (high pressure) banjo fitting that leaks in the back or the lower-pressure return line? Return line has the same type of crimp fittings that have been known to leak on the high-pressure side up front. Both lines appear to be discolored back there, too, so my suspicions are directed to those lines at the moment.

Any ideas, most appreciated.

Thanks,
TT
Old 01-11-2009, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Recall; Tank Sender Leak Re: Common Fuel Line leak location in rear?

Call the dealer with your VIN #

My '99 was subject to a recall (which will be performed next week when we travel from coastal Carolina to da' big city). Fuel sender unit o ring and seal.

Service mgr says bring it in with as little fuel in the tank as possible. No charge to perform the recall.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:25 PM

Default Thanks- yes, that does ring a bell

Forgot about the O-ring as a possible source of leak.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default That's only going to smell while the car is sitting still with a full tank of gas

If you are smelling it in the cabin on cold mornings while driving the car/stopping at a stop light, it's the fuel lines. Just fix them like shown on audipages (with the clamps) and be done with it. It will stop it.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:32 PM

Default Cold mornings, regardless of fuel tank level

Thanks, Paul. The lines up front all look perfect, though-- can't tell that they are seeping at all. Have others had a a leak on the high-pressure or return lines at the tank?
Old 01-11-2009, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yes....usually just for a few seconds at startup. It gets worse over time

and is usually the worst during very cold weather.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:49 PM

Default Must be from back

Wife's complaining a lot-- I'll have to figure it out this week. Front fittings, on both ends, all look great. So, I'm assuming it's the back connections.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I would do the front fittings, the cabin air intake does not come from the back

It's super dangerous to have fuel leaking in the engine compartment. Just do at least the high pressure line in the engine compartment. Your wife is worth it.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:48 AM

Default Gas fumes seem to persist inside

The points are well-taken, but we've examined all the front hoses and fittings very, very thoroughly. We have been unable to find any of the characteristic discoloration or splatter from even a tiny leak up there. I'll send you a PM photo to get your thoughts.

It's clear that there was a leak at some point in the back, where the hardlines come in, though so are focusing there for the moment.

The mechanic specializes in fuel-injection systems, so he is pretty good at sniffing these out. We were both just wondering if anybody had seen other leak locations.

Thanks,
TT
Old 01-12-2009, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If it's coming from the back, you won't smell it when you drive

The air comes in from the front.

Quick Reply: Common Fuel Line leak location in rear?