A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Temperature Warning

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Coolant Temperature Warning

Hey everyone. My car keeps throwing the warning that the coolant temperature is too high, yet the guage for temperature is reading normal so I know for sure that the engine is not really overheating.

When I took my car to the Audi dealership nearby for a recall, they did something that fixed the problem for about 3-4 weeks without anymore warnings.

Do any of you know what has to be replaced? Or did the dealership just re-secure a wire leading to the sensor that I can have done simply? Let me know what all of your guys think I need to do to fix this problem. It's not really a super big deal since it's not affecting performance. It's just annoying rather than an issue I can't live with. Thanks everyone

-Dara
Old 10-28-2008, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default It's loosing coolant somewhere

It's the level sensor in the expansion bottle. Could be the nipple, could be the cap, could be the vent ports, could be the oil cooler, etc., etc.<ul><li><a href="http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articles/enginemechanical/coolantexpansiontankreplacement.htm">some ideas</a></li></ul>
Old 10-28-2008, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Coolant Temperature Warning

Is there anything leaking from your expansion tank? I know this was a problem with pre-facelift cars (I had to have it replaced on my old '98), but not certain how often it's cropped up in facelift 8s. When mine went out, the gauge read normal, but the tank level was well below minimum, so you may want to take a look at it. Also, it's a good idea to carry a container of coolant, just in case. I got one from Audi of Alexandria, but am not certain how much Tischer or Rockville would charge for it.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: It's loosing coolant somewhere

thanks guys. i'll check the coolant level when i get home this evening. didn't drive in to work today. will let you all know what the results are after checking.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: It's loosing coolant somewhere

hey. you guys were right. i picked up a bottle of G12 from Induktion yesterday and will be monitoring the level within the bottle and get back to you guys. there may be a leak somewhere or some loose tubing (all tubing was replaced recently so if loose, will take car back to the shop to be re-checked). thanks again for the help.