A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D2 '01-S8 - Dead Fuel Pump turns into NIGHTMARE...... (& Member Intro)

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by '01-S8
seems like shes going under the knife.....

New motor with 60k miles & 6 month warranty....

new timing belt, chains, water pump, tensioners, pulleys...etc...

wish me luck!
Best of luck bud. If there's no core charge, I'd advice you retain your old motor, and at some point, strip it down.

Aside from being a good source of parts, it'll be good to know what the problem was in the first instance.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by '01-S8
seems like shes going under the knife.....

New motor with 60k miles & 6 month warranty....

new timing belt, chains, water pump, tensioners, pulleys...etc...

wish me luck!
Why?
What exactly did "they" find wrong with the motor?
Old 02-10-2012, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I am curious as well, what the heck caused them to want to swap the whole motor out? If you were closer I'd take the old one...

-Richard
Old 02-13-2012, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by silverd2
Why?
What exactly did "they" find wrong with the motor?
Well it definitely jumped timing. The nylon rollers in the head are destroyed and there is also a good amount of metal shavings under the valve covers...

The one side of the motor that is out of timing gives compression #'s but very weak. The side that IS in timing has ZERO compression. Also seems to have more shavings on this side.

So im left in a ****ty situation.

I can pay for the labor to tear the head off and see whats going on, IF fixable, would still need to be machined, and who knows the extent of replacing valves, valve guides, retainers... who knows what as of this point. And then even if i did have the luck of nothing hitting the bottom end, i would be taking a gamble of rebuilding the head to have it be perfect and fresh and my block (175k) holding up with it. Once the head is tightened up, leaks or problems are bound to arise in the block.

OR I can buy a motor with 60k on it, 6 month warranty, new timing belts, chains, pulley, tensioners, etc..

I cant take that gamble of hoping everything holds together. Im going to tear down the motor when this is all done and see what I find. If anything is salvageable it will be available.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Please take photos...esp under the valve covers...and esp what's left of the cam chain tensioners.

I'm curious and would it be a great archive record of a "catastrophic" failure I haven't seen documented properly.

Unfortunately, the pad material on the chain tensioners is not made to last (or be dependable) past about 100K miles. I caught mine in time and intend to replace the pads on the other side soon, as preventive maintenance.

Sorry to hear, but a great opportunity to document it.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by silverd2
Please take photos...esp under the valve covers...and esp what's left of the cam chain tensioners.

I'm curious and would it be a great archive record of a "catastrophic" failure I haven't seen documented properly.

Unfortunately, the pad material on the chain tensioners is not made to last (or be dependable) past about 100K miles. I caught mine in time and intend to replace the pads on the other side soon, as preventive maintenance.

Sorry to hear, but a great opportunity to document it.
Its gonna be a while until I get to that point.... but I will certainly document the disassembly. I ordered my motor on Thursday of last week and they said 10-14 days...but the shop im having do the swap said they will be done in under a week. So once I get it back ill be doing nothing but driving it most likely and enjoying the life of having a car back and not being so inconvenienced without one.

Being 26, having a full time and part time job, and trying to enjoy weekends and your new house is kinda tough without a car!!
Old 02-14-2012, 09:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I hear ya man, I am 28 and having been waiting for my audi has been nerve racking. you forgot to mention enjoying the house bunnie you have in your av photo as well! she is hot. I am glad I did not have to swap the motor on mine, I hope all goes well and she gets back on the road soon! If you are anywhere near GA I may be interested in picking up your old motor
Old 02-21-2012, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Picked up the new AYS motor last night and dropped it off at the shop to have swapped out. Hopefully 7-10 days from now I'll be back to driving my pride and joy.

Shokan's description of the donor vehicle was as follows:

"Here is a very nice S8. The car was run tested and we drove it extensively. The complete radiation was good and we ran it for a while. The car had a very nice black leather interior. The drivetrain was in mint condition. All brakes etc were nice. This car had complete electronics, suspension and engine management parts. Thanks for looking."

It was a rear end collision. Motor seemed nice and clean. Nicely prepped and properly plugged by Shokan. Had full timing service done including Timing Belt, Water Pump with gasket, Thermostat with gasket, big roller bearing, small roller bearing, tensioner roller bearing with arm, pneumatic tensioner, serpentine belt, and serpentine belt roller.

Is there anything else I should do while this is all apart?? Suggestions?
Old 02-26-2012, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I saw your fuel pump saga. Sorry I didn't see it sooner. I created my own solution to that problem that would've saved you a lot of grief. Posted it on your Audizine forum thread

While your wallet is open, buy a VAG Com cable from Ross-tech. It will pay for itself the first time you use it. Otherwise you will be randomly throwing good money after bad.

Good luck, I hope you get it all sorted.

Brian C.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

SHE LIVES!!!!

motor is great, feels strong, starts right up....everything i could ask for.... almost forgot how to drive the spaceship once i got back in it!!!!