A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever buy your old car back?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever buy your old car back?

About this time last year I sold my '97 A8. Had about 205k on it and was getting to where it was difficult to keep up with the issues it had. Fast forward to late April of this year I see it listed on CL. He has a note that it's now off the road due to transmission issues. Out of curiosity, I called him to see what was going on with it. He said that it would get stuck in low gear (I'm guessing 3rd gear limp mode) and wouldn't shift. Most days it would be ok, but then it'd start to act up, then be ok in a day or so. I asked him if the PRNDL was all lit up but he said he didn't think so. He did say the MIL was on with a code saying improper gear ratio. So, it does seem like the trans is on its way out - or do you think it could be the F125 switch?. Sad, as I bought it with 164k, drove it for 4.5 years and it shifted great. I had no previous service records, but it looked as if the trans had been out of the car before my ownership.

I saw the car drop in price a couple times then off of CL all together. Last week I see it for sale from someone else on FB MarketPlace. He's asking considerably more than what the last advertised price was on CL, no mention of the trans issues, but he did manage to crack the front bumper and windshield.

I can't believe I'm considering to go look at it. He's asking way to much for it, and I know it's going to need a bunch of work with potential transmission issues lurking. Been considering it as I'm driving a ton for work, 2-3k miles a month and thinking of getting something cheaper on gas than my Tundra. Of course that's not considering possible repair costs. It's no camry in that regard, but it doesn't drive like one either!

What are your thoughts? have you ever bought back your old car?
Old 07-03-2017, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I look for my old TT all the time... it popped up once at a dealership based on a search but they had already sold it. :/
Old 08-22-2017, 08:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Buy car back?

My '96 B5 with AHA motor suffered a failed timing belt idler pulley 40K miles after replacement. Resulted in TB failure, valve-piston interference, etc. Decided against repairing, even though rest of car was very nice shape. Sold to salvage yard, and in 4-5 mo. saw an ad in Craigslist for what looked like my old car. Went to see it; new plates with the salvage title, but I knew it was my car.Young guy said he had had it for a year or so, just wanted a new car. I passed on the purchase. He evidently picked up a nail in the tire on the way to our meet-up, so as I left he was trying to change the flat tire. Good luck with that, because the tool set and jack from that car were in my garage in a box of spare parts I had removed before selling it to the salvage yard.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 2005 A8L

In early 2015, I sold my A8L in West Michigan. I've lost contact information for him but would consider buying it back if I could find him, especially if he's on this forum