A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D2 S8 with LS1??

Old 01-05-2018, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D2 S8 with LS1??

Am I the only one that’s had the crazy thought of putting a turbo LS1 in my S8!? Problem is I don’t want to lose the Quattro system. How hard would it be to marry an LS1 to a Quattro transmission?? Or nearly impossible??
Old 01-05-2018, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

If you had the skills to get the TCU to operate the S8 transmission with an LS under the hood and/or the skills to mate an LS to the S8 transmission a used S8 4.0T for $40K is probably not out of your budget.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Markopolo216
Am I the only one that’s had the crazy thought of putting a turbo LS1 in my S8!? Problem is I don’t want to lose the Quattro system. How hard would it be to marry an LS1 to a Quattro transmission?? Or nearly impossible??
If there was a kit for the LS swap like there is for the Porsche 928 I would do it in a heartbeat...
Old 01-06-2018, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S8LEE
If there was a kit for the LS swap like there is for the Porsche 928 I would do it in a heartbeat...
I researched for quite sometime last night and it seems there was a guy that built one hell of an RS6 with an LS1 setup. While keeping his 01E trans and Quattro system. I have some links saved if you’re interested.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That car was sweet, until it burned.

LS engines make great power. It's not hard at all to make 550hp from a 6.2L naturally aspirated.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The silicon alloy Audi block does not use iron bore liners so the cylinders are VERY close to each other (5mm) making for a short block. Still, the engine is far forward to accommodate 4 wheel drive, so it has a tendency to understeer like a pig at the limit. Getting the LS1 to fit would make things a lot longer and much tighter in the front, plus bellhousing adapter, wiring, plumbing... Now you've got more weight hanging further forward of the front wheels.

Why not just supercharge/ turbocharge it and put another fuel tank with E85 in the spare tire well. Another set of lines and injectors, and maybe a piggyback to run the second set of injectors. Throw a Hobbs switch in there and toogle the hot feed to the injectors from the stock gasoline ones to the secondary E85 ones once it senses boost. Runs on regular gasoline off boost, and E85 or E100 on boost. Variations on a theme, and its been done before. Most simply by turbomalibu.com/dualfuelsystem.htm. His relies on the stock ECU alone, oversized secondary injectors and a rising rate fuel pump regulator for the ethanol. Ford filed some patents on a system 10 years ago using one set of injectors, 2 tanks (gas and ethanol) and a RAPIDLY switching mixing valve. I don't think they ever built it though. There's a guy with "the world's fastest Lotus" featured on /Drive who does much the same thing. I don't know the details of that setup though. I betting you could update turbomalibu's sequential dual fuel setup by running the second set of injectors on a piggyback, like the AEM FIC8.

Boost and gasoline requires a lower than stock compression ratio and pulling timing. Boost and Ethanol (E85 or 100) resists detonation like crazy, so you can get away with a higher stock compression ratio and still make power. So RS6 turbo manifolds, E85 in tank 2, piggyback controller for another set of injectors and Bob's your uncle. Haha. You need a metric ton of time, money and talent (pick at least 2) to pull it off though.

Last edited by BrianC72gt; 01-10-2018 at 10:20 AM.

Search this Thread