A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you sometimes wonder if our cars are worth all the effort?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you sometimes wonder if our cars are worth all the effort?

I've only had my 01 since November, did the research about possible problem areas, bought one that looked like it had been taken better care of than others (man, never realized how rough lease returns could get) and had low mileage. Mine's a CPO so most of the stuff isn't even out of my pocket. I'm just whining about how often it's in the shop. Once, for diagnosis of the problem, once to come back when the parts are in. Then in the meantime seems like something else breaks. I've got an 8mo old and it gets tiring having to deal with car crap all the time and wondering if I'm going to end up being stranded while he's in the car. (But when he's forward facing in a few months, no way the little bastard is gonna be able to kick the back of my seat in the L, EVER! ... so that's a plus.)

I'm almost thinking about trading it in on something new that doesn't have as many gizmos to break.

Do you guys feel the car's worth the headache? Sometimes I do, sometimes I'm just ready to walk.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:13 AM

Default German cars can be a headache

but what could you get for the same amount of money that even comes close to the A8?
Old 06-10-2005, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Its definitely a love hate relationship. Still, I would rather fix a small issue, than rust.

The two reasons I ended up with an A8 rather than a Lexus GS or LS are:

Quattro
Aluminum body

If it was not aluminum, I would probably have went with a lexus. I am a toyota guy and very happy about it.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Maybe I'm just trying to justify that new 330i. <duck for cover>
Old 06-10-2005, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Just remember, there isn't another car out there that will protect your 8 mo. old better than the A8

Consider what is really important, and the choice is obvious. BTW, I've gone as long as 2 years without having to deal with anything other than maintenance and upgrades, and my '97 has almost 120K miles on it. I believe that once you get through some initial problemes, the reliability of these cars is very good (provided you are a stickler for maintenance)!
Old 06-10-2005, 11:28 AM

Default You've got a good point

I had a similar love/hate experience with my 740i. Other than the tranny I really like the A8. Somebody said it best that our cars have "soul".
Old 06-10-2005, 11:30 AM

Default at least it is german.. LOL I have been thinking the same thing the past few days

but after the tranny rebuild I hope I am golden for many years to come (I expect minor stuff) but nothing MAJOR!! If something major does happen I am going to sell it piece by piece.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Just like a relationship, it's usually Love/Hate - No, I wouldn't drive a Lexus
Old 06-10-2005, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Don't have an A8, but understand......

I bought Audis out of town, which require a 150 mile round trip. With health problems, I'm prioritizing things...spending time on car repairs and dealer visits isn't for me.

BTW, Stoddard Audi in Cleve. has an 01 CPO A8L w12K miles on it....looks extremely clean.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Do you sometimes wonder if our cars are worth all the effort?

It's really an emotional call. I drove the S8 and I have driven quite a few cars, and instantly believed that it is one of the greatest cars created. But the AUDI warranty helped, and I did use it. Having said that best car in the world at any price is a Lexus. From the point you buy the car till the time you sell it which many people don't, it is the most enjoyable experience you can have owning a car. After that its is Infiniti. I have had an Infiniti Q45, and I tell you, not only the car, but the ownership is just too good. Cannot buy/beat Lexus/Infiniti experience at any price anywhere. I bought an S8 because it was a CPO and I was willing to take the risk of it breaking down and going through the headache, because of its performance. That is important to me. But if you want hassle free ownership go with Lexus/Infiniti.

Quick Reply: Do you sometimes wonder if our cars are worth all the effort?