A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove it home yesterday. Today replaced leaking valve cover gaskets, now wont start!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Drove it home yesterday. Today replaced leaking valve cover gaskets, now wont start!

Seriously?

I disconnected 8 coils, kept them in order, cleaned the covers and replaced the gaskets. I torqued everything down and reconnected the fuel line and the coils.

Now all PRND432 is all in red and it wont start.

On the dash shoes yellow oil can and the word sensor. Doing a google search I found multiple articles about the hood switch, the oil level switch on the pan and fuse #5 on the drivers side. Im not seeing any fuses on that side, all mine are in the passenger footwell.

The passanger side valve cover was a tiny bit difficult to wrangle out and reinstall, but i can see anything wrong. I did trace the harness next to coil pack #1 down to the oil level sensor, but it doesnt look damaged.

The hood sensor shows open circuit when the switch is depressed and closed circuit when the hood is open. Probing the brn/blk and brn wires they are showing shorted when not hooked to switch.

In addition when i open my drivers door, it shows all doors open, no matter what position thwy are in.

Please help, i wanna go home tonight.

I did an oil change yesterday after fixing the common oil cooler issue, broken pipe, yada yada.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

I was wrong, the oil sensor comes down from drivers side (bank 5-8).

I removed the oil sensor, cleaned it, open and closed hood. Refilled the oil (drained,into a clean pan, as it was changed yesterday)

Saw the red PRND432 was clear, tried to start, CLICK, and battery died from me trying so much. After i hooked up the charger, the trans lights are back to red.

Im so frustrated. I cant see what i disturbed. The only questionable wire is a nick on one of the wires for the hoodswitch.
The dash never shows the hood open like the trunk, and other doors.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Found a blown 15a fuse in the ecu box under the hood

I read a thread or two aboit water ingress in there, and it rained the night before i came in to do valve cover gaskets.

Inbwtween the 2 control modules is a small block with a relay marked "214" and a 15a fuse (not blown) behind it and two infront of itn a 20a (also ok), and the 15a i found blown.

The wire colors under it are blk/grn stripe and blk/grey stripe and the are bundled in the label "32".

I replaed the fuse and it popped immediately when i put the key on.

Where do these wires go?
Old 06-17-2019, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Let me answer that for you.

It went to the first injector on the passenger side. It was pinched in behind the vcg bolt.

I removed it and fixed it. Thank you blown fuse (and your buddies that were sacrificed).
Old 06-17-2019, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, that was quick. All in less than 24 hours!
Old 06-17-2019, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Read lots of forums, and saw what was happening, or thought was happening with water ingress. Checked that area, had to suck it up that it was my fault amd not another audi issue.
The following users liked this post:
SC_09iduA (06-27-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good luck with it! I've gotten lots of good help here.