A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove my dad's '00 Lincoln Cartier L for a couple days...

Old 09-14-2014, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drove my dad's '00 Lincoln Cartier L for a couple days...

So I fly up to MN with my family for my younger brother's wedding. My dad picks us up at the airport and lets us use his 2000 Lincoln (Continental?) Cartier L for our time there. It only had 50K on it, looked practically brand new, and drove like it also. It has a generous trunk, and even more room in the back seat footwells - 3 more inches (guessing there) than my '00 FL D2 L. It seems a bit wider, but up front I felt closer to the dash than my A8. It has many similar gadgets like fore/aft heated seats, adjustable lumbar supports, etc. and some the Audi doesn't (like flip-down lit vanity mirrors for rear passengers) but in most regards is comparable in amenities.

Except for how it drives. The Lincoln reeeeealy floats - it's poise is that of a pontoon boat. It exemplifies the classic, American luxury car feel - float like a Cadillac (sans "sting" like a Beemer). It reminded me of all the other cars I've driven, from a '74 Duster, '76 Olds, '73 Chrysler New Yorker, '76 Eldorado 'vert, you get the picture. It got good gas mileage - and I appreciated having a loaner - but it was good to fire up the Audi after the flight back and pilot it home.

It didn't take long, but I had to re-adapt to the precision and taut composure the A8 exhibits in contrast to the Lincoln. The Audi had begun to feel a bit soft to me; I was starting to long for something more athletic - this trip helped remind me of what I already have.

If it wasn't for the two days of driving it would take for me to get back up there, I'd love to take the D2 on a road trip - especially in the winter. It's the perfect weapon for snow. However, the round-trip cost including food and hotel for my family is as much as plane tickets for all of us (but drifting around on a frozen lake would make it worth the extra trouble!)

Anyway, cheers to all you D2 lovers - it's wonderful.

Raz