A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical confusion

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical confusion

Hi

My automatic head beam control clames malfunction (after exchaning the timing belt). When I switch the head beam on, the horn sounds and no light.
VCDS shows that there is a short circuit or open circuit between the control unit and the adjustment motor.

Well, easy troubleshooting i thougth since i know where the control unit is placed. Just a simple continity and isolation check but NO.

My car is a S8 model year 2000. I have found several electrical schematics showing the same info but it dont match what i see and measure.
Wrong numbers of cables, Wrong color code, no match what so ever when i measure between the connector of the control unit and the connector to the head beam.

Feels like Im trying to troubleshoot an Audi by using a electrical shematics from a Mazda.

I see my self as an pretty skilld "do it my self" both from a electrical and mechanical point of view but this realy beats me.

Any ideas or advices are appreciated

Kind regards Peter
Old 09-06-2015, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Solved!!

Originally Posted by Baikal
Hi

My automatic head beam control clames malfunction (after exchaning the timing belt). When I switch the head beam on, the horn sounds and no light.
VCDS shows that there is a short circuit or open circuit between the control unit and the adjustment motor.

Well, easy troubleshooting i thougth since i know where the control unit is placed. Just a simple continity and isolation check but NO.

My car is a S8 model year 2000. I have found several electrical schematics showing the same info but it dont match what i see and measure.
Wrong numbers of cables, Wrong color code, no match what so ever when i measure between the connector of the control unit and the connector to the head beam.

Feels like Im trying to troubleshoot an Audi by using a electrical shematics from a Mazda.

I see my self as an pretty skilld "do it my self" both from a electrical and mechanical point of view but this realy beats me.

Any ideas or advices are appreciated

Kind regards Peter

Oh my...
I discovered that I have switched the connectors for the head beam and the one that goes to the bumber.
Its quite clear now why I got all crazy results when tried to troubleshoot.

Feel a bit ashamed but still happy that I found it

Kind regards Peter
Old 09-07-2015, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good that yours was easy to find. I had an experience with a replacement aftermarket wiring harness for a '66 Ford Mustang - the battery would be drained after sitting for a while. Wire by wire I traced out the wires and checked them in the car. Found out that 2 of the wires inside one connector were switched, presumably by the manufacturer of the wiring harness. The feed to the alternator was always hot, leading to a drained battery. Swapped the two and it was fine.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I was very close to open up the harnesk myself but thanks almighty i found the hiccup before that. Mustang 66 , very good looking vehicles but i have no experience of those.