AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d2-platform-discussion-8/)
-   -   Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (small leak) (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d2-platform-discussion-8/evaporative-emission-system-leak-detected-small-leak-1757739/)

TonyA8 07-14-2008 05:48 PM

Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (small leak)

Has anybody ever had to deal with this. Code is P0442. Before I do any serious debug, hoping someone else went through the pain. Happened when I took off the air filter box to repair the windshield washer pump. All connector are fine.

sack lunch 07-15-2008 02:45 AM

I'm living through it right now!

Maybe you jostled the purge valve or knocked a hose loose?

TonyA8 07-15-2008 04:59 AM

Re: I'm living through it right now!

Have you solved your problem? I reset the code and re-tightened the gas cap but will see what happens.

jazbo123 07-15-2008 05:03 AM

Wash your gas cap in a solvent (gas)... maybe just a dirty check valve...

Take the gasket/O-ring off and clean that area too. I used to get these on occassion but have gone at least a year without now. Keep in mind there are lot of places for potential leaks. That why diagnosing these can be a hassle.

A8CT 07-15-2008 05:09 AM

second on that, both times just took off an re-tightened.

sack lunch 07-15-2008 05:51 PM

Newp...still working on it.

CoreyDL 11-19-2010 12:26 PM

I have had the P0442 code for a while, and I have replaced the gas cap and done a visual/listening inspection of the vacuum lines. Also cleaned out the EGR valve - which was full of carbon (unrelated I know). Also changed out the MAF sensor, and still getting the same code!

Is the best way to do a smoke test to find out the leak? This code is killing me.

SCL 11-24-2010 08:36 PM

Can you explain the gas cap thing? I've had this code for a long time and I just live with it. I found a leaky vacuum line or two, but after resetting the fault, it returns in a few days. When I need to get the car smogged, I just reset the fault before driving it in.

I read that there is a pump in the left rear wheel well, but I have not looked at it.

So...if the gas cap were removed from an A8 that did not have this fault, would the fault then appear?

silverd2 11-25-2010 06:49 AM

The leak detection pump is in the left rear fender well, next to top of the shock, behind fender liner.
It's activated by engine vacuum and performs a test of entire fuel system pressure (including tank)right after start up...adds additional pressure. If it fails test (pressure bleeds off too fast), it does a 2nd test...if that fails, it records a fault code.

silverd2 11-25-2010 07:20 AM

P.S. The gas cap has a check valve for venting (not to mention normal o-ring seal, when attached correctly). If the valve failed, stuck open, it would be seen as a small leak in the Evap system.