A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Failed Emissions

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Default There are certain types of codes that do not trigger the light but will store codes.

We see it at out shop on Asian imports. Some of there trans codes will not trigger a MIL light but stores codes and it will not pass emissions test.
Old 02-25-2005, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Got any trouble codes in the instrument cluster?

Wow, great insight, thanks.

First, as explained to me by Audi and then the dealer, the warranty is for only the OBD, ECM and catalytic converters. They mentioned these are complete "replacement units" so if one part is bad the whole thing will get replaced. Diagnosis costs, regardless of outcome, are not covered under the warranty.

The OBDII malfunction code was produced by the NY State testing tool. After repair of the vac lines the only code remaining was the CEL malfunction. The local shop used their VAG-COM tool and verified that the system could not turn on the "CEL".

The local shop stated the there are no detailed schematics for the ECM or OBD to/from the dash cluster, and that there is no single wire for the CEL. No other dash cluster lights are inoperable or malfunctioning (such as your suggested "mpg display"). The local shop gave me three options for them to chase (1)the CEL diode is dead, (2)a wire between the ECM and dash cluster is bad, or (3)there is a problem in the ECM. Given your knowledge above, if other dash indicators are operational then its not #2, a bad wire. This leaves #1, which is a $1,200 replacement or #3 which should be a warranty covered part.

Greatly appreciate your wisdom.
Old 02-25-2005, 06:49 PM

Default Paul told me the same thing when I bought this car yet

I'm too insecure with my auto skills to mess with the car's computer/transmission/engine settings/etc. I think if I actually knew someone with the tool and saw them operate the software first I could get some confidence that I wouldn't blow my car up.

When I got lost just reading the VAG-COM website and screenshots and couldn't even figure out what hardware/software to buy, I thought it best to leave this to professionals until I get with someone who knows what they're doing. I've paid for this insecurity and lack of user group connections in my area (Fairport NY).
Old 02-25-2005, 06:55 PM

Default That's correct; key-in, on-position, engine off, no CEL.

I've been told the 2000 A8 is an enclosed dash cluster module with diodes (not individual replaceable bulbs) that would require complete replacement. Local shop said they could try to find a used one as long as it had less miles than mine because they can electronically increase the number of miles, yet not decrease.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:33 PM

Default Here's extensive resource material from big brother...

Including protocols for dyno testing, not that newer AWD platforms get a lot of this.

Do you know if the A8 MIL light is a bulb or solid state (LED)?<ul><li><a href="http://www.epa.gov/otaq/epg/techguid.htm">http://www.epa.gov/otaq/epg/techguid.htm</a</li></ul>
Old 02-25-2005, 07:38 PM

I was told the dash cluster is diodes not bulbs for the 2000.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Failed Emissions

If you don't want to buy a vag-com because it is too complicated for you just by a creader, see the link below. It will scan and clear all obd-II codes, just plug it in and start the car, it will clear the codes, wait a couple of days see if the codes come back, if they still do you might have an issue. There is also fake OBD-II computers you can hook to your harness for emissions issues, I know a guy that has one for his mustang that is way to modified to pass emissions.<ul><li><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;rd=1&amp;item=452964782 4&amp;category=43989">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;rd=1&amp;item=452964782 4&amp;category=43989</a</li></ul>
Old 02-25-2005, 07:57 PM

Default Ultra-link for information on the OBD

Everything they thought we needed to know!<ul><li><a href="http://www.asashop.org/tips/sources.pdf">http://www.asashop.org/tips/sources.pdf</a</li></ul>
Old 02-25-2005, 08:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The service manual agrees with this, starting in model year 2000.

Tom
Old 02-26-2005, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do you have a laptop around / available?

Seriously, once you have the setup, you can play with it, and you'll gain confidence. As long as you're just reading values, you really can't hurt anything. Once you gain that confidence, you can reset fault codes, recode the transmission, etc.

Looking at the screens on a web page just isn't the same. Did you learn, say, Excel, by reading the manual to exhaustion, then firing up the app, or did you just start playing with it? Same sort of thing.

Quick Reply: Failed Emissions