A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finding a Good Mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finding a Good Mechanic

I have a good foreign mechanic who can handle most of my repairs but I also want to have someone to help me with Audi-specific,
D2-specific issues. (Like climate control issues, which require a VagCom reading)

I am in the Boston area.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Lottie
I have a good foreign mechanic who can handle most of my repairs but I also want to have someone to help me with Audi-specific,
D2-specific issues. (Like climate control issues, which require a VagCom reading)

I am in the Boston area.
Not anywhere near Boston, but not all climate control problems require VagCom.

Having a problem currently?

If so, what are the specific symptoms?
Old 10-28-2012, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am in the Boston area.

http://forums.quattroworld.com/newengland/
Old 10-28-2012, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Symptoms are as follows :

When A/C is on (Climate Control is set to LO), cool air blasts from all vents on driver's side, front and rear. But hot air blasts from vents on passenger side front and rear, and from rear console.

When heat is on, warm air blasts from all vents except the one at driver's feet, which remains cool.

From parousing the D2 climate control discussions, it seems as if the next step is to get some VagCom readings and figure out which of the heater control flaps are acting up.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Symptoms are as follows :

When A/C is on (Climate Control is set to LO), cool air blasts from all vents on driver's side, front and rear. But hot air blasts from vents on passenger side front and rear, and from rear console.

When heat is on, warm air blasts from all vents except the one at driver's feet, which remains cool.

From parousing the D2 climate control discussions, it seems as if the next step is to get some VagCom readings and figure out which of the heater control flaps are acting up.
Yep, that would take VagCom to diagnose. It's rarely the electronic climate control head to blame...more likely a failing flap motor, stuck flap, etc...
Worst case, and hopefully not, a problem with the pump/valve unit under the hood...pump & twin solenoid valve unit that individually controls coolant flowing to the left and right (driver and passenger) heater cores.