A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First post for new (used) A8 owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2001, 11:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SP8000 wet performance - dangerous.

The SP8000 is really bad on wet roads, be careful!

Other than that, it is a OK tire, no more. It is dated, using 10 years old technology. What has happened during the last 10 years of tire development comes very apparent when you get a modern high-performance tire instead. The experience will really surprise you!

I have had four sets of SP8000 the last 5 years, driving close to 100.000 miles on them. I thought they where OK, but when I changed to som modern tires I couldn't believe it! The perfomance and grip on wet road or track equals SP8000 dry perfomance! (Yes, comparing new tires with old, that is correct, but anyway.)

Here is what you get with more modern performance tires:

- Less understeer (much better grip)
- Less tire squeeling (close to none) when pushing it
- Better control and feeling
- Softer ride
- More quiet ride
- Dramatically safer wet driving
- Less mileage

But as long as you are a careful driver not pushing the limits, and show some extra consideration on wet roads, the SP8000 gives good value. But they do not belong an an S8 IMHO.

--
/Kjell A
Old 08-28-2001, 12:03 PM

Default Re: SP8000 wet performance - dangerous.

Kjell A - Thanks much for your comments on the Dunlop SP8000's. I have them on an A8L, so I doubt I'll be pushing them as hard as if they were on an S8.

Are your comments about problems with the tires on wet roads made in the context of aggressive driving, or for more normal family driving and touring? What about during winter snow/ice conditions?

The Dunlop web page lists good wet performance and water pumping as one of the features of this tire as I recall (haven't looked at the page recently).

Ken
Old 08-29-2001, 01:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: SP8000 wet performance - dangerous.

My comments regarding SP8000 and poor wet perfomance where made in the context of normal driving, not pushing at all.

They will aqua-plan at remarkably low speeds even with moderate levels of water on the road. And they will do so without much warning. I have had several scary experiences, and I know others that will swear they are alive despite the Dunlops, not because of them. The stories are many and scaring.

They might be better when new, but not a lot as I remember. Just try pushing them a bit at an empty parking lot or something like that when it's raining, and you will have a whole new definition of understeer! Now, just imagine how this poor grip will translate into stopping distance the day you need it on the road. And be aware, that goes for dry conditions as well.

Regarding SP8000 on snow and ice, just forget it! Tires like these are fatal in such conditions. Not only SP8000, but all high-performance summer tires. When temperature drops to about and below 42F, the rubber will start getting too hard, with loss of grip as a result. The colder, the worse. Winter tires are normally better at these temperatures even when the road is dry, because they have a softer compound.

Remember that SP8000 is a very old tire in todays market. It might have had acceptable wet perfomance (being a "high performance" tire that is, they have never been god on wet) when it was introduced, but that is many years ago. The current Dunlop "high performance" tire is the SP9000, which is much better on wet roads than its predecessor. But still poorer than Falken FK451 and Potenza S-03.

--
/Kjell A
Old 08-29-2001, 01:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: People seem to like Dunlop SP5000. I like Nokian snow tires.

Do you get the Nokian Hakkapeliitta Q over there?
It is probably one of the very best tires around for tough ice and snow conditions, and low temperatures. They now have the perfect tire for the A8/S8, 225/60-16 with a load index of 98.

But be aware, this tire is made for Scandinavian, even for north-scandinavian conditions. (they are developed in the north of Finland, which equals the northern parts of Canada and Alaska) Which means it is made to perform in *very* low temperatures with dry ice and snow. Which also means they will perform poorly when temperature raises, and dramatically poorly at 35-40 degrees F and above. Not your favorite asphalt tire either, it is made for snow and ice.

There is no such thing as a all-season tire in this part of the world, we have to change twice a year. No thinking person would drive with summer tires here during winter, that is suicidal!

--
/Kjell Arild
Old 03-17-2009, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

My first post shall be my last. See ya.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:23 AM

Default Wow.

This is progress.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

My first post shall be my last. See ya.
Most forums take this format now. It is very fast and usually tends to incorporate similar questions to one thread. "Hi, this is my first post; my transmission does this funny bumpy thing ..." doesn't get its own thread every couple of days.

You can set your "Thread Display Mode" to whatever you prefer to have the outlook make more sense.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Try this

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...8#post23748518
Old 03-24-2009, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

I believe that all of the information is still here. It just needs to be brought back from the grave. If it is important enough, that should happen through us. Example:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...php?p=15581553

Reply to the thread and it should be back on top. The idea is that the junk eventually settles.

Unfortunately though, your FAQ Digest isn't safe as you can see from todays post, but it never really was safe anyway.

It should also probably be made sticky.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:48 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I'll make them sticky, once I find the ultimate way to do it. I haven't yet.

Quick Reply: First post for new (used) A8 owner