A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front engine coolant leaks... Check Oil cooler before Water Pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 12:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Almost ready for the fix

My 2000 A8 40v started leaking coolant next to the oil filter just as Fall set in. I'm about to start the procedure of replacing the leaking oil cooler coolant pipe with an aluminum model from fusilier.

I'm hoping to appeal for any other heads-up regarding this procedure that hasn't previously been posted on this and linked threads.

The temperature is expected to remain in the low 20s F so I'm gonna be freezing. Not going to want to waste time once I get started.
  1. Part numbers/links for oil cooler figure-8 gasket and pipe o-ring?
  2. Jackstands for the front?
  3. Two socket knuckle-joints needed?
  4. Without-a-doubt other accessible engine part replacements I'd be stupid not to do?
Old 12-06-2012, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMoneyPenny
Mechanic now is telling me, the oil cooler is fine but rather a pipe leading into the cooler, carrying the coolant is broken.

I have no idea what he is talking about, plus he is telling me that he can't locate the part and it might take up to two weeks to get the part.

Any ideas?

I am going to try to get the part number from him tomorrow.
#25 in the drawing is the outer coolant pipe, which is an all metal tube that just doesn't break unless someone breaks it.

It is very much in the way while removing and installing the cooler housing. If it's broken, a gorilla broke it while forcing it out of the way. If they did not reinstall (or tore) the o-ring at the connection, it would leak.

Demand that they show this "broken" metal pipe.

Name:  OilCoolerouterpipe.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  81.2 KB

Make them show th
Old 12-06-2012, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Educate me Please!

Just came back from the mechanic, the part in question, that is causing the coolant leak is #11 (077-121-070F) on the attached picture.
I witnessed the leak, hair line crack on the bottom edge of the pipe, perhaps something that was always there, just got exasperated, I am told by the renewed life in the oil cooler, via the new pipe (‘pressure’).

Is this possible?

Anyway, can anyone please confirm the part number and the best place to source it in the US? Also, would you buy this used from a reputable salvage parts store?

The HK Audi Centre is saying they don't have it in stock and might take up to 6 weeks to source!

Someone please educate me if this is something they have seen before. I am getting a strange story feeling about this diagnosis.

Although I did witness the leak on the pipe, and the mechanic walked me through the whole pressure testing they did to find the leak. Also, I had my radiator replaced two years ago, by a 'gorilla' mechanic, he might have botched the job on this pipe!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Coolant leak hose_Dec 2012.pdf (42.1 KB, 154 views)

Last edited by MrMoneyPenny; 12-06-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I guess it can happen (apparently it did on your car, "somehow"?), but I have never seen a metal coolant pipe split on any German car.

Lots of US suppliers have that for $150-200 new, but I wouldn't think twice about putting a used one in...I see a few on eBay that look quite intact for about $25, but none of those listers ship internationally.

I would think you could find the same on a more "local" eBay, even on any of the various Euro eBay's that will ship international.

For a new pipe, just Google that part # and suppliers will pop up...or Google Audi OEM suppliers and put the part # in their search box. It's available lots of places, but not sure which ones will ship to HK...their websites will let you know.

Last edited by silverd2; 12-07-2012 at 04:55 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I am surprised this is leaking also, never seen a metal pipe split.
You should be able to find someone parting one out that would ship a pipe to you faster than 6 weeks.

Good luck,
-Richard
Old 12-07-2012, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Strange

And am I reading that right $1870 dollars for that metal pipe running around the engine?

They guys on here are right though about the coolant return pipe. There is a 10mm bolt with a clamp tie holding that pipe in place. Its further back and easily accessed via the tirewell. Best to loosen that clamp which frees the metal pipe to swing a bit out of the way when bringing the oil cooler into and out of the installation zone.

Otherwise, any extreme flexing of that pipe will fracture it at that clamp and since its clamped to the block, it'll likely fracture the pipe instead of bend it.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Found one

Used out of MN, with international shipping, it's still cheaper than paying dealership prices, which is in Hong Kong dollars on that page.

Thanks all. Will watch the installation like a hawk.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I'm still strugling with Bentley Manual

I paid the money for the Bentley Manual thinking it would help me with difficult repairs like servicing the oil cooler.

When I enter "oil cooler removal: I get one page showing 5 bolts.
for the life of me I can't find the procedure in the eBahn reader.

From the Audipages this is a 40+ step process.

Why can't I find these details in the eBahn software?

Old 08-15-2017, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by fusilier
The pipe is ALWAYS broken when you pull the oil cooler to get to the leak. The pipe is almost always in two pieces and the O-ring is baked or completely gone. You have to use a dental pick or something like that to pry out the bits of the old plastic pipe backed into the recess. Its Buna Rubber which doesnt have the termperature resistenace needed for its location. If the pipe was in good condition and not the weak spot then it would remove in one piece without fracturing into pieces.

As for the block thing... well the pipe goes into the block BEFORE you put in the oil cooler so I'm not sure what you're talking about there. If aligned right, the oil cooler will slip right over the pipe. No problems.

I have aluminum pipes if anyone wants to use it instead of the OEM part.
Hi I'm also having problems with my Audi A8 L Quattro my oil cooling line I notice you found a aluminum one I was wondering where did you purchase that ? I'm going to replace mine I rather replace it with that one I think that would appear to be better and last longer, so if you can let me know where you found it I would much greatly appreciate it thank you
Enriquez
Old 08-16-2017, 03:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Gruven parts,do it at the same time when doing timing belt and save 150-200$ in labor.