A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel filter check

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 04:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel filter check

How to check the fuel filter, given that the fule pump is working?
Old 10-13-2008, 04:18 AM

Default Re: fuel filter check

You can check for flow up on the return line from the rail, but it's almost as easy just to replace the filter. Not bad practice, if it's been awhile.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

how do I replace it?

I think that the filter is my problem because the fuel pump is running and the spark plugs are dry(when coil packs not connected) but the car won't start
Old 10-13-2008, 05:39 AM

The filter is located underneath the rear passenger side door - just in front of the wheel well. There is a plastic cover over it that you will need to remove first.

Undo the fuse box cover in the passenger footwell.
Start the vehicle and then remove the fuse for the fuel pump to de-pressurize the system.

Then, simply undo the bolts that connect the fuel lines to the filter. Install the new filter and reconnect the fuel lines.
IMPORTANT: be sure to use the washers when connecting the fuel lines and tighten the lines securely to the filter.

Re-insert the fuel pump fuse and start the vehicle. I always do this by leaning across from the passenger side so I can quickly see/check the filter to make sure there aren't any leaks.

Good luck!
Mark
Old 10-13-2008, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Have you check if there is any fuel at the fuel rail in the engine bay?

I did have a similar experience of the engine not starting. I open the fuel line at the fuel rail and nothing come out. Dump in a couple of gallon into the gas tank and voila the engine started fine.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default probably not a bad thing to replace but I've never heard of a filter failing to the point of NO fuel

being delivered. It can't be that clogged...
Old 10-13-2008, 09:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: probably

I have disassembled it and gave 12v to the fuel pump directly from the battery but no fuel comes out the-tank side- fuel line going to the filter
so probably yes it wasn't it.

I can hear the fuel pump whining so don't know if it is shot or there is sth else wrong with the d@mn thing.any ideas before i waste some more money on an unnecessary pump?

me thinks the logical thing is to assume the filter is on the high pressure line and not on the return. pls give me the heads up if it is the other way
Old 10-13-2008, 09:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Have you check if there is any fuel at the fuel rail in the engine bay?

if by opening the fuel rail you mean the high pressure line going to it (just like the procedure in audipages) yes I did and there is nothing in there.
the fuel tank though is more than half full.
does that line need some kind of pressurisation/bleeding when reconnected?
Old 10-13-2008, 11:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Half Full tank...Have you check if there is any fuel at the fuel rail in the engine bay?

Hi, I too have had engine die, like it ran out of gas, when the tank was still half full. How did I solve it? Not sure I did yet, but I have run 2 full bottles of Techron cleaner in the tanks, and filled up at the half again, with only about 250 miles driving since the tank was full each time. I will continue to play this game for awhile. I may have a pump going bad, or a pickup tube that fell off. ( Someday, I'll carry a can of gas in the truck and try driving past the 250 mile point and see if I "run out of gas" again. The Techron may be working...
Incidently, What fuse controls the fuel pump? What carrier and position is it in the panel. Thanks
Old 10-13-2008, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

^^^^^Agree^^^^^

Quick Reply: fuel filter check