A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is the fun still there after buying your A8?

Old 01-30-2002, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is the fun still there after buying your A8?

I saw a nice A8 the other day, he was getting into his car so went up and talked to him a bit about the car. He said that he liked it but he though there would be more to the car. He said he was going through a phase, and it is now over with he said it is to big to sling around corners almos to bulky like (which I think in my mind looks the best!!!) any way I guess my question is the fun still there as much as the day you bought it?
Old 01-30-2002, 12:47 AM
Elder Member

Default Yep, the fun's still there ...

... after one year and 14k miles, I look forward to the drive every single time I turn the key. [Speaking as an S8 owner.]

I am aware of the size of the car when maneuvering around parking lots, but the the car magically shrinks on the road. Because of the handling, the more twists in the road, the smaller the car feels.

Compared to the "day you bought it", I am starting to take the 360 hp for granted (others also, from the amount of speculation below about the new S8 motor). But compared to Day #1, as I've gotten more familiar with the car's amazing handling limits, the fun factor continues to increase.
Old 01-30-2002, 01:36 AM

Default Re: Yep, the fun's still there ...

Cool, I was just amazed what I heard from that guy. I want so badly. I am looking at this new job, I had a loan set up to buy one. What kinda of performance things can you do to it? intake exhaust, can you build a turbo for it. And Rods pistons and cams??
Old 01-30-2002, 01:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default It will spoil you, the cure is to drive something else from time to time. :-)

But I still love it, I still use the tiptronic manual shift regularely, and I still set up a nice, fully controllable four-wheel drift every now and then. Well, ok, almost every day during winter... :-)

If I get too spoiled, I borrow a friends BMW 528. I then discover what fabulous value the A8 gives for money.
Old 01-30-2002, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default As far as mods go...........

The A8/S8 is such a limited platform for tuners to work with, they really don't bother with it.....the reason you see so many chips, etc for the A4/S4 platform is cause you can crank the boost so easily for the turbos and cause there are so damn many of the cars out there, the profit margin is MUCH better.........The only real "performance" mod I've heard about (other than chips with limited potential cause of the normally asperated engine in the A8/S8) is the MTM Supercharger, which will throw you to 470Hp and 530 ft/lb of torque, giving you a 0-62 of 4.4 seconds..........not bad for a 2 ton automobile, though I have NEVER heard of anyone in the states doing it, and Hoppen doesn't even mention the mod on it's web site.....from what I understand (and I think Randy would know better than I would) it's pretty much a complete engine rebuild, quoted time of 28 days to do the mod, not to mention the pricetag of $22,000.....and there is the question of the tip tranny being able to take that kind of stress, so you'd probably have to rip that out, and put in a 6 speed, which last time I heard would cost around $10,000......course how many cars can do 0-60 in 4.4 seconds and still have comfortable seating for five?? Check the link below for details on the MTM supergharged S8<ul><li><a href="http://www.mtmonline.de/English/A8/s8_470.htm">http://www.mtmonline.de/English/A8/s8_470.htm</a</li></ul>
Old 01-30-2002, 08:58 AM

Default Yes, generally...

20k miles with an A8L have confirmed the many positive early impressions I had of the car. Two things I was initially unsure of -- front seat comfort and steering precision -- now register as downsides.
Old 01-30-2002, 11:31 AM

Default Re: is the fun still there after buying your A8?

Funny you should ask. Over the last few weeks, and out of the blue, I realized that my A42.8 Avant (front driver) is becoming more fun to drive (quickly/hard) than my wifes A84.2. (If you're wondering why she's driving the 8 vs. the Avant, it's because I wanted her and our daughter in something bigger than the Avant so we bought her the 8 and I took the Avant.)

Back to your question, the 8 just doesn't respond as quickly and sharply (but really shouldn't) and I don't have a whole lot of confidence in the brakes (they seem to fade when pushed even moderately hard). Lastly, I hate the fact that I can't grab first gear when I want to.

That said, I'm sure that I could mitigate all of these issues with the purhase of an S8 or with some modifications (and some better rubber!) but the car does what we bought if for - 1) it provides driving pleasure, 2) is safe, 3) has the room we need and 4) has one of the best interiors and exteriors of any car in any class and 5) is best value by far it's class - particularly when purchased used, straight and Audi Assured.
Old 01-30-2002, 02:51 PM

Default Re: As far as mods go...........

Hey Thanks though I don't have that kind of money to shell out. I am sure I could get port and polish and balancing done and maybe some nice tune ups. And maybe for a little cheaper pistons and rods, cams that can be made. I found a place that does custom manifolds for turbos and custom turbo anything. It is hear in Seattle. they do the Hondas and Acuras. maybe they could do an A8 or S8.. I will check up on it
Old 01-31-2002, 08:36 AM

Default It's still makes my heart rate go up everytime I drive!

There is no doubt that we get spoiled by the car. I'm reminded of how nice the A8 is after getting into other cars.
Old 01-31-2002, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If you have luck.........

Make sure to let us all know......I'm sure the board would be interested!!!!!!!! Just be careful when thay start trying to talk you into putting NOS in ;-)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: is the fun still there after buying your A8?