A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Get rid of break pad sensor warning light

Old 08-26-2017, 04:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Get rid of break pad sensor warning light

I would appreciate if anyone could advise how to get rid of the break warning light (yellow in an upper section).
I replaced the break pads (8 front and 4 rear). The warning light used to come on often although the break pads were new and no leaks were discovered. Moreover, the tank is full and does not lack fluid. I even replaced the pressure hoses in front. At turns the light used to come on or most often when backing up it used to come up instantly. As far as I have most likely aftermarket pads (although German made) and even rotors in the front being replaced with new ones, the light still most of the time come on.
When I bought the car the sensor plugs (male, I guess when pads have female) were missing and my mechanic just connected wires from pads to the wires of the sensor directly. The problem was not solved and the warning light most of the time used come on and stay.
Into the bargain, I made sure there is no air in the system and bled it with mechanic 2 times. practically all works were done to make sure that breaks are ok.
Finally not having solved the problem with the warning light, I decided to short the sensor wires and cut the wires off the pads in the front (rear once do not have sensors). I thought this will at least help me to get rid of the nagging yellow warning light.
NO! I was not successful. Now the light comes on and never disappears.
Please help with the solution if anyone has had a similar problem and managed to solve it.
Mine is 1997 Audi A8 with 3.7 FWD. It is from Germany.
Thanks in advance for your support and replies.
Old 08-26-2017, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

audipages Front Brake Pad Warning Light Fix

...by the way, the thing that stops a wheel from rotating is a "brake". When you snap a stick in two, you "break" it.

You're welcome
Old 08-26-2017, 05:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by silverd2
audipages Front Brake Pad Warning Light Fix

...by the way, the thing that stops a wheel from rotating is a "brake". When you snap a stick in two, you "break" it.

You're welcome
Sorry, typo. BRAKES. Apparently, I was so concerned of the 'breakthrough' solution to my brakes problem that I ended up in a typo. Sorry... human factor.
Old 08-26-2017, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't worry a few of the guys are a bit **** about little things ..

Bad pad lights, is usually low pads (obviously not in this case) , low fluid or WIRING and sensors.

Just go over everything again and check.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the advice. Here are the results of observation:
1. Pads are new (practically zero front and rear)
2. Fluid is full (no leaks or loss)
3. No air in the brakes system and it functions as it should.
3. No sensors anymore as I have removed the sensor connectors from pads and shorted the wires.
The only thing that needs attention might be the wiring. As far as I understand, when the pads are low the pad sensor breaks the circuit and the light comes on. Please correct me if I am wrong. If this is so after I have made the short circuit by eliminating the pad sensor, logically I cheated the computer. So, if the light is still on it means that there is a break of circuit somewhere else. But here is the mystery: when the wiring was connected to the pads the warning light used to come and go, although it was most of the time on. But now it is constantly on when I tried to short the wires. Here is what I wanted to ask: where does the wire go from the wheel so that I could check for other connections without pulling apart the whole electric system? Actually, I want to know what devices are involved in this circuit which may be worthwhile checking in the first place.
Please mind that I am not an electrician and have a basic knowledge of the subject. However, I am excessively enthusiastic.
Your expertise will be highly appreciated.
Please do not advise to see the dealer or an electrician here; THERE ARE NONE qualified in Audi in this country.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by radjaco
Thanks for the advice. Here are the results of observation:
1. Pads are new (practically zero front and rear)
2. Fluid is full (no leaks or loss)
3. No air in the brakes system and it functions as it should.
3. No sensors anymore as I have removed the sensor connectors from pads and shorted the wires.
The only thing that needs attention might be the wiring. As far as I understand, when the pads are low the pad sensor breaks the circuit and the light comes on. Please correct me if I am wrong. If this is so after I have made the short circuit by eliminating the pad sensor, logically I cheated the computer. So, if the light is still on it means that there is a break of circuit somewhere else. But here is the mystery: when the wiring was connected to the pads the warning light used to come and go, although it was most of the time on. But now it is constantly on when I tried to short the wires. Here is what I wanted to ask: where does the wire go from the wheel so that I could check for other connections without pulling apart the whole electric system? Actually, I want to know what devices are involved in this circuit which may be worthwhile checking in the first place.
Please mind that I am not an electrician and have a basic knowledge of the subject. However, I am excessively enthusiastic.
Your expertise will be highly appreciated.
Please do not advise to see the dealer or an electrician here; THERE ARE NONE qualified in Audi in this country.
Forgive me for being "****" and most especially forgive me for trying to be helpful ... BUT, did you even take a look at the link I provided ? ...which explains most of what you just asked?
Old 08-26-2017, 12:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by silverd2
Forgive me for being "****" and most especially forgive me for trying to be helpful ... BUT, did you even take a look at the link I provided ? ...which explains most of what you just asked?
WOW, somehow I missed it. Sorry for being so inattentive. I have just noticed it. I am going to do it in the morning. Challenging... Thanks a lot.
Old 08-27-2017, 03:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Today I followed the instructions Silverd2 provided. It worked as I shorted wires as in audipages Front Brake Pad Warning Light Fix
No more nagging brake warning light.
Thanks, Silverd2.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Question for SilverD2

Hi, We've communicated a few years ago on other issues.

Do you know if there is a similar procedure to "kill" the brake pad warning light on a D3? I seem to recall seeing a fix. There are issues with the rear elect parking brake on D3s that can turn on the pad light, but that is not the case with mine which is something in the wiring between the pads and the dash. I remember it was some kind of connector in the drive side footwell panel. Wish i had saved it somewhere.

Jim (from Michigan)

private message is probably the best way to reach me.

Originally Posted by radjaco
Today I followed the instructions Silverd2 provided. It worked as I shorted wires as in audipages Front Brake Pad Warning Light Fix
No more nagging brake warning light.
Thanks, Silverd2.
Old 08-27-2017, 01:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by audijim113
Hi, We've communicated a few years ago on other issues.

Do you know if there is a similar procedure to "kill" the brake pad warning light on a D3? I seem to recall seeing a fix. There are issues with the rear elect parking brake on D3s that can turn on the pad light, but that is not the case with mine which is something in the wiring between the pads and the dash. I remember it was some kind of connector in the drive side footwell panel. Wish i had saved it somewhere.

Jim (from Michigan)

private message is probably the best way to reach me.
Hi Jim, I have investigated this case for my Audi D2 for quite some time and came to the decision that on many models, not only Audi, the procedure is similar where the case is with sensored pads. Logically thinking, Germans and Swedes are conservative and rarely change what they consider time-tested and successful. I think that the color settings of wires should be the same (needs checking). So, if the red connector has brown/black wire and the black connector has brown, then it is the same. However, see the procedure with the D2 facelift models on the same page as mine is a pre-facelift model.
As for the footwell connector, frankly speaking, I have not checked on mine. There may be one, but if it is inside and your car has never undergone engine rebuilts or substantial repair under the hood then it is a minimum doubt that that connector can be faulty (taking into account that it is covered and in a safe place).
I just get rid of this warning light to avoid checking all the wirings in the car and this operation refers only to the pad sensor system. I know when I changed my brake pads and when to replace it is easy to check. So, it is redundant for me. I do not know how it is for you. Moreover, I am just an enthusiast and not an electrician or mechanic. However, the procedure took me not more than 30-40 minutes.

Search this Thread