Get rid of break pad sensor warning light - AudiWorld Forums

Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A8 / S8 > A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion
Reload this Page > Get rid of break pad sensor warning light
Notices
A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002

Get rid of break pad sensor warning light

Reply

 
 
Old 08-26-2017, 05:49 AM
  #1
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 17
Default Get rid of break pad sensor warning light

I would appreciate if anyone could advise how to get rid of the break warning light (yellow in an upper section).
I replaced the break pads (8 front and 4 rear). The warning light used to come on often although the break pads were new and no leaks were discovered. Moreover, the tank is full and does not lack fluid. I even replaced the pressure hoses in front. At turns the light used to come on or most often when backing up it used to come up instantly. As far as I have most likely aftermarket pads (although German made) and even rotors in the front being replaced with new ones, the light still most of the time come on.
When I bought the car the sensor plugs (male, I guess when pads have female) were missing and my mechanic just connected wires from pads to the wires of the sensor directly. The problem was not solved and the warning light most of the time used come on and stay.
Into the bargain, I made sure there is no air in the system and bled it with mechanic 2 times. practically all works were done to make sure that breaks are ok.
Finally not having solved the problem with the warning light, I decided to short the sensor wires and cut the wires off the pads in the front (rear once do not have sensors). I thought this will at least help me to get rid of the nagging yellow warning light.
NO! I was not successful. Now the light comes on and never disappears.
Please help with the solution if anyone has had a similar problem and managed to solve it.
Mine is 1997 Audi A8 with 3.7 FWD. It is from Germany.
Thanks in advance for your support and replies.
radjaco is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 06:00 AM
  #2
AudiWorld Super User
 
silverd2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: East TN
Posts: 2,562
Default

audipages Front Brake Pad Warning Light Fix

...by the way, the thing that stops a wheel from rotating is a "brake". When you snap a stick in two, you "break" it.

You're welcome
silverd2 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 06:51 AM
  #3
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 17
Default

Originally Posted by silverd2 View Post
audipages Front Brake Pad Warning Light Fix

...by the way, the thing that stops a wheel from rotating is a "brake". When you snap a stick in two, you "break" it.

You're welcome
Sorry, typo. BRAKES. Apparently, I was so concerned of the 'breakthrough' solution to my brakes problem that I ended up in a typo. Sorry... human factor.
radjaco is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 09:42 AM
  #4
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Pushbutton_auto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 654
Default

Don't worry a few of the guys are a bit **** about little things ..

Bad pad lights, is usually low pads (obviously not in this case) , low fluid or WIRING and sensors.

Just go over everything again and check.
Pushbutton_auto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 12:15 PM
  #5
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 17
Default

Thanks for the advice. Here are the results of observation:
1. Pads are new (practically zero front and rear)
2. Fluid is full (no leaks or loss)
3. No air in the brakes system and it functions as it should.
3. No sensors anymore as I have removed the sensor connectors from pads and shorted the wires.
The only thing that needs attention might be the wiring. As far as I understand, when the pads are low the pad sensor breaks the circuit and the light comes on. Please correct me if I am wrong. If this is so after I have made the short circuit by eliminating the pad sensor, logically I cheated the computer. So, if the light is still on it means that there is a break of circuit somewhere else. But here is the mystery: when the wiring was connected to the pads the warning light used to come and go, although it was most of the time on. But now it is constantly on when I tried to short the wires. Here is what I wanted to ask: where does the wire go from the wheel so that I could check for other connections without pulling apart the whole electric system? Actually, I want to know what devices are involved in this circuit which may be worthwhile checking in the first place.
Please mind that I am not an electrician and have a basic knowledge of the subject. However, I am excessively enthusiastic.
Your expertise will be highly appreciated.
Please do not advise to see the dealer or an electrician here; THERE ARE NONE qualified in Audi in this country.
radjaco is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 12:45 PM
  #6
AudiWorld Super User
 
silverd2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: East TN
Posts: 2,562
Default

Originally Posted by radjaco View Post
Thanks for the advice. Here are the results of observation:
1. Pads are new (practically zero front and rear)
2. Fluid is full (no leaks or loss)
3. No air in the brakes system and it functions as it should.
3. No sensors anymore as I have removed the sensor connectors from pads and shorted the wires.
The only thing that needs attention might be the wiring. As far as I understand, when the pads are low the pad sensor breaks the circuit and the light comes on. Please correct me if I am wrong. If this is so after I have made the short circuit by eliminating the pad sensor, logically I cheated the computer. So, if the light is still on it means that there is a break of circuit somewhere else. But here is the mystery: when the wiring was connected to the pads the warning light used to come and go, although it was most of the time on. But now it is constantly on when I tried to short the wires. Here is what I wanted to ask: where does the wire go from the wheel so that I could check for other connections without pulling apart the whole electric system? Actually, I want to know what devices are involved in this circuit which may be worthwhile checking in the first place.
Please mind that I am not an electrician and have a basic knowledge of the subject. However, I am excessively enthusiastic.
Your expertise will be highly appreciated.
Please do not advise to see the dealer or an electrician here; THERE ARE NONE qualified in Audi in this country.
Forgive me for being "****" and most especially forgive me for trying to be helpful ... BUT, did you even take a look at the link I provided ? ...which explains most of what you just asked?
silverd2 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 01:30 PM
  #7
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 17
Default

Originally Posted by silverd2 View Post
Forgive me for being "****" and most especially forgive me for trying to be helpful ... BUT, did you even take a look at the link I provided ? ...which explains most of what you just asked?
WOW, somehow I missed it. Sorry for being so inattentive. I have just noticed it. I am going to do it in the morning. Challenging... Thanks a lot.
radjaco is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 04:55 AM
  #8
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 17
Default

Today I followed the instructions Silverd2 provided. It worked as I shorted wires as in audipages Front Brake Pad Warning Light Fix
No more nagging brake warning light.
Thanks, Silverd2.
radjaco is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:53 PM
  #9
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,660
Default Question for SilverD2

Hi, We've communicated a few years ago on other issues.

Do you know if there is a similar procedure to "kill" the brake pad warning light on a D3? I seem to recall seeing a fix. There are issues with the rear elect parking brake on D3s that can turn on the pad light, but that is not the case with mine which is something in the wiring between the pads and the dash. I remember it was some kind of connector in the drive side footwell panel. Wish i had saved it somewhere.

Jim (from Michigan)

private message is probably the best way to reach me.








Originally Posted by radjaco View Post
Today I followed the instructions Silverd2 provided. It worked as I shorted wires as in audipages Front Brake Pad Warning Light Fix
No more nagging brake warning light.
Thanks, Silverd2.
audijim113 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 02:01 PM
  #10
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 17
Default

Originally Posted by audijim113 View Post
Hi, We've communicated a few years ago on other issues.

Do you know if there is a similar procedure to "kill" the brake pad warning light on a D3? I seem to recall seeing a fix. There are issues with the rear elect parking brake on D3s that can turn on the pad light, but that is not the case with mine which is something in the wiring between the pads and the dash. I remember it was some kind of connector in the drive side footwell panel. Wish i had saved it somewhere.

Jim (from Michigan)

private message is probably the best way to reach me.
Hi Jim, I have investigated this case for my Audi D2 for quite some time and came to the decision that on many models, not only Audi, the procedure is similar where the case is with sensored pads. Logically thinking, Germans and Swedes are conservative and rarely change what they consider time-tested and successful. I think that the color settings of wires should be the same (needs checking). So, if the red connector has brown/black wire and the black connector has brown, then it is the same. However, see the procedure with the D2 facelift models on the same page as mine is a pre-facelift model.
As for the footwell connector, frankly speaking, I have not checked on mine. There may be one, but if it is inside and your car has never undergone engine rebuilts or substantial repair under the hood then it is a minimum doubt that that connector can be faulty (taking into account that it is covered and in a safe place).
I just get rid of this warning light to avoid checking all the wirings in the car and this operation refers only to the pad sensor system. I know when I changed my brake pads and when to replace it is easy to check. So, it is redundant for me. I do not know how it is for you. Moreover, I am just an enthusiast and not an electrician or mechanic. However, the procedure took me not more than 30-40 minutes.
radjaco is offline  
Reply With Quote
 
 
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:47 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: