A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good News About My Car, Need a Quick Response to Other Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2002, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Good News About My Car, Need a Quick Response to Other Questions

So the Audi dealer checked my car over. It appears that the shrieking I heard followed by metallic popcorn sound was a hose clamp somewhere on a radiator hose that the "nut" (I imagine the screw in the hose clamp)came off of, it feel into the drive belt, probably siezed it up for a few seconds and then threw it off, which would be the popcorn sound before it stopped completely.

That explains why the car still drove normally for two blocks, maybe I was seeing things when I saw the oil leaking, don't know. The car also did not have any oil puddles or any oil under it after I stopped it. I might be reading too much about these transmissions on this board.

However, the car has the following problems after inspection:

1. Torn CV joint boot on front axle, knew about it, they are going to replace it for $275.

2. He stated that the lower front control arms (these are straight control arms) had worn bushings and needed replacement. Cost: $1175, I think parts are $700 or so.

I'm not going to do these.

3. He stated that the outer tie rod ends are worn, stated that parts are $200 for the two of tehm and with labor it's $375. I have noticed the car "walking" when on the highway in the past few weeks.

I'm considering having them do this, but they want $200 extra for an alignment, and I know they don't do anything except adjust the toe. I'd probably get it aligned somewhere else.

4. The rear final drive has leaking seals on both output shafts (that go to the wheels). It's four hours to replace the seals and only $35 for parts. Total would be $418. I don't know.

5. Right bank head gasket is leaking oil in the front. $1600 to replace, I'll defer this to the timing belt change out. If I get it done with the TB, it would $1600 (only $100 is the gasket in parts), plus the parts needed for the TB, probably another $500. Will wait on that one.

Question: Would you guys pay $375 to have the tie rods changed? How about the rear seals for $418?

Thanks.

Paul
Old 03-26-2002, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Don't Need a Response, just spent $1100

So I told the service advisor to do:

Tie Rods $375 (I could buy them for $165), alldata states it is 1.1 hour each side.

CV Joint Boot $275 (my local mechanic told me $200)

Rear End Seals $418 (all labor)

Oil Change $50 (and I supplied the filter and oil)

Inspection of tranny, complete inspection of car $100

Total $1218.

I was on the phone with him (wrote all this stuff down first) and said if he can do it for $1100 even, I would do it. He said no problem....I should of started at $900! Oh well, it will be done tomorrow most likely and then I'll have to have it aligned, that will be another $60 or so.

BTW, the mechanic took the car for a test ride, nothing wrong with the transmission, except that my head is spinning!

What a relief.

I also determined that there is no way to convert a non tiptronic to a tiptronic using a newer tranny. It uses the whole body wiring harness.

pw
Old 03-26-2002, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The Nut that Fell

Was actually part of a clamp that hold the main coolant line to the block. The nut backed off and feel into the drive belt.

The mechanic drove the car and it is fine. Man, did I worry a lot about this one!

pw
Old 03-26-2002, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What a relief... but those quotes sounds REALLY high.

My local Eropean car garage charges approximately half that to do the same jobs, and they do a great job. I usually buy oem parts online and bring them the parts.
Old 03-29-2002, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Don't Need a Response, just spent $1100

How many miles on this car? Otherwise, seem like an awful lot of stuff needed for a five year old vehicle.
Old 04-01-2002, 08:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Don't Need a Response, just spent $1100

What do you mean by the car is "walking" on the highway?? My car has become a little drifty on the highway too, and I'm wondering if I have the same problem. Also, my car has started to take bumps really hard -- I can feel them go down my back. Any input?? In terms of all the things you are getting fixed, I've had the exact same problems.