A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a call from Audi, they want to give me a different

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Got a call from Audi, they want to give me a different

I seem to remember way back when we first discussed these cars that both of s were worried about the BMW 745 problems appearing on this launch car as well.

My problems this far are minor. They sort of fixed the auto on lights-put in the correct switch however, now I get intermittent-light sensor not functioning messages. Today I started gettting intermittant-buzzer sounds indicating my headlights ere on when I opened the drivers door after turning the car off.

The On-star phone can make calls but can't receive any-On-star says the problem is in the car not with their system.

MMI screen sticks on occasion, though always comes up in time. Never reported that so far.

A few creaks.

Nothing comapered to the problems you seem to have in your new A8L.

I have about 900 mile son it, I was away for a bit last month.
Old 07-09-2003, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: You're right, but damn the car was sold to me "BROKEN"

It does appear that Audi may "do the deal for you." I just hope that it hasnt soured you on the car, unless you just want out. I collaterally exchanged a 96 Acura 3.2 TL whose brakes failed three times with 7000 miles on the car. Acura said that they didnt know what to do for me so I TOLD them what they were going to do!! Let me know if you need any assistance.

greenie

somewhere outside of Phila. 10 mles from my Audi dealer who is probably wondering why they havent seen me in a week!!!
Old 07-09-2003, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Got a call from Audi, Dinan, take them up on there offer and get the replacement car

helper, excuse the ignorance, but what is phatnoise? Is it a better sound system? I thought that the std. surround sounded pretty fine.

greenie

04 A8L silver/sabre 19" wheels and 1 certificate good for furure collateral exchange , if necessary!!! (Aug. del)
Old 07-09-2003, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default If AoA were smart they would do everything in their power to make you happy. As far as keeping....

this hush-hush, it's too late. It's on this forum and I have to believe that most people considering buying an A8 have at one time or another (or periodically) checked out AudiWorld. They need to nip this in the bud before it spins out of control. Good Luck.
Old 07-09-2003, 08:14 PM

Default Re: Got a call from Audi, Dinan, take them up on there offer and get the replacement car

Basically it is an audi installed option for almost all of their cars. It is an MP3 player of sorts with a removable hard drive. I believe you can store about 5000 songs on it. I have a large CD collection and dont even have that many songs on my CDs, but It woul dbe nice. Also can download to the drive via a computer interface from numerous websites.

I woul dhav elied it but as I said, it does not interface with the A8-yet.
Old 07-09-2003, 09:24 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default It's easier to give you a new car and start with a clean slate ( given whatever the dealer has told

them about you - right or wrong ) rather than try to fix a new complex car and perhaps not get it perfect. They know by now from past experience that you are a squeaky wheel ( not saying this is bad ) and are going about solving the problem in the most complete fashion possible. This should be viewed as a very good thing since they are being proactive and not making you jump through hoops for lemon status. That would make me anything but worried :-)

I'm not sure I understand the threats of going public with something when the manufacturer seems to be taking care of you to the best of their abilities ( sending people from Germany, giving you new car, etc ). The person from Germany is probably a high level project engineer. The QC person from AoA for documentation just in case this comes up again. The tech would be there to document stuff for North American training. All seems extremely above board. Just like in an operating theater where family members of a patient are usually not invited, this is often the case when diagnosing something unusual with high level techs.

BTW, if they are giving you a new car and not having you keep the old one at all, then they usually don't hand out any paperwork. Even if they gave you a bit of paper, if it is a problem they have not fully diagnosed, there would be nothing conclusive on that paper to indicate the source of the problem. Given your stated possible desire to make things public, it is better for them to comment as little as possible.

From the tone of your posts, it sounds like you're getting a tad hysterical. Please take this bit of well meant advice - making threats and ultimatums in public are rarely the way to go about keeping your cool, saving face, and getting what you want in the end. AoA reads this forum from time to time. They will likely disclose less and take the time to make sure they do some CYA when dealing with you.
Old 07-10-2003, 02:53 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

<*golf clap*>
Old 07-10-2003, 03:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: It's easier to give you a new car and start with a clean slate ( given whatever the dealer has t

Well said - I had a less than satisfactory "early-adopter" experience with the (then new) 2001 Volvo V70 T5 wagon. Great car except for a miriad of small problems requiring many trips to the dealer. There were lots of complaints on the Geartronic transmission (poor cold weather shifting, poor acceleration) that Volvo attempted to fix via software updates. It was their most complex car to date and they seemed to be playing catch-up on all the little problems. After 40,000 miles, I think we got everything fixed (then I sold it to buy an A8L and started being really happy every time I drove to work!). In retrospect, waiting a year would have given me some time to see how well their initial production line quality was received by the early adopters via the on-line forum.

If Audi is offering to swap out your car and you like the A8L - take them up on a chance to start with a new clean slate - it seems as if they are trying (as an organization) to make it right.

Good luck! Pk
Old 07-10-2003, 04:31 AM

Default Re: It's easier to give you a new car and start with a clean slate ( given whatever the dealer has t

This is EXCELLENT ADVICE

I got a BRAND NEW Jeep Grand Cherokee after 1.5 years by keeping my cool and being VERY courteous while maintining my persistence!!!
Old 07-10-2003, 05:06 AM

Default Good advise! I will keep my cool for the next few days

it's just that I would feel soooooooooooo much better if the Regional VP of AoA told me this, rather than the lame dealership.

Quick Reply: Got a call from Audi, they want to give me a different