A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H&R coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H&R coilovers

Its hard to find any info regarding S8 D2 so if some of you experts can give me an opinion.There is a H&R coilover set up for sale,on the add it states Audi A8,could this set up be used on a S8 model.Here are some pictures of the coilovers.Are the A8 cilovers the same as S8.
Attached Images   
Old 05-03-2009, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you don't buy them I will!

I have H&R coilovers on my A8. H&R technically doesn't make a coilover kit for the S8. They one offer one for the A8. Main reason being that the set ride height of the H&R coilover kit is no lower then the factory S8 height. Or so they say.

I personally found that once mine settled it was lower then an S8 in the rear.

Here is a picture of the Coilover kit new and my Car with them fitted.

H&R Coilovers Brand New:

On my Car
(I have the fronts turned way down and I re-engineered the rear (perks of working at a race cars company) to be adjustable so its lower as well. Your car would be about 3/4" higher in the rear. The front is adjustable so you can set them what ever height you like):

Old 05-03-2009, 10:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ok thanks but please explain what you mean by you re engineered the rear perks,do you have any pictures of what you did,what part exactly did you re engineer please give me some more info.Do you think it is a good idea to buy coilovers like this used,what do you think is the condition of them by looking at the photos.This would be my first coilover set so i have no experience with coils,but this set would cost me only 300$ so i think the price is good.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

don't know if they are the same but here is my A8 98 with the h&r setup,no mods and find it low enough

same car but with the first mags to be out more by about 1/4 inch,a little more flush to the wheel arches
might get spacers for the others

Old 05-04-2009, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

How does the ride with the coilovers compare to stock?
Old 05-05-2009, 02:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

firmer but not to much,if you like to feel the road more,than go for it.i use the car on the track but my wife uses it more often during the week...on bumpy road it can be a bit hard but our roads are the worst so if your in the south you'll love the this kit.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default at my indy's getting the'jelly-bean' treatment

Originally Posted by vwgti16vt
If you don't buy them I will!

I have H&R coilovers on my A8. H&R technically doesn't make a coilover kit for the S8. They one offer one for the A8. Main reason being that the set ride height of the H&R coilover kit is no lower then the factory S8 height. Or so they say.

I personally found that once mine settled it was lower then an S8 in the rear.

Here is a picture of the Coilover kit new and my Car with them fitted.

H&R Coilovers Brand New:

On my Car
(I have the fronts turned way down and I re-engineered the rear (perks of working at a race cars company) to be adjustable so its lower as well. Your car would be about 3/4" higher in the rear. The front is adjustable so you can set them what ever height you like):

so what is this, i reply in the bottom of someone else's message? sure i'm missing sumpin' carrying on... have had the bottom of the car painted to match the rest of the car...some say it would have a sort-of jellybean effect...whatever, i like it,the car just seems a bit more rounded out, not round more physically,ethereally, ecclesiastically, a rennaissance rounding if you will...nevertheless a rounding all the same...can't wait, tho, of course, i know i will have to, but i digress...i'll say@! i have a set of KW adjustable coilovers, the fronts are adjustable, the bacl 2 have 2 possible lowerings, and it seems to me that once you go for the 2nd or 3rd option, there seems to be no turning back, as he cuts away part of the large gasket the rear coil is sitting in and once its gone, its gone, its gone...that one was for the 3rd piece of rubber grommet that you must cut away, at which point, it seems to me that you cant go back unless, well you can, just have to buy the rubber piece that you cut the **** out of and start over...buy my baby looks JUST RIGHT ... god what a car, what areally great, complete, together car that it seems to me only really cool poeple ending up buying, mild breezes at your back and beautiful days to enjoy , and no check engine lights, whats' not to enjoy...
Old 05-05-2009, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default THAT

is one beautiful A8!
Old 05-05-2009, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default THAT

is one beautiful A8!