headlight with a pink hue? - AudiWorld Forums

Notices
A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002

headlight with a pink hue?

Old 11-21-2018, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default headlight with a pink hue?

I started the car (2001 S8) tonight and noticed that the drivers side headlight was giving out a pinkish hue on the wall. Looking directly at the light it doesn't look pink but it does seem a bit dimmer. Is this a sign that the ballast or bulb is going bad?

These are the original xenon bulbs/ballasts from 2001.

Thanks
Old 11-21-2018, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah, it means the bulb is about to fail.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

So it's definitely just the bulb and could not be the ballast?

Do you happen to know what brand and part# the OEM bulb is?

Thanks
Old 11-21-2018, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I had this happen last month on our A6 wagon. I changed the bulb and things returned to normal.

I bought a Philips bulb to replace it...color isn't quite right. If one is a perfectionist, you might replace both bulbs at the same time.
Old 11-22-2018, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

They often do not match exactly if not replaced in pairs but I had good luck getting a used Phillips bulb once that matched well. Phillips 4300K 85122, you could also get a used pair and then have a spare on-hand.
I know, a used bulb sounds crazy but at the time it was hard to get decent HID bulbs at a good price and the bulbs might last forever, I think it all depends on the vacuum seal. Used bulbs can usually be found for $15 or so from the pick-a-part scavengers on ebay (god bless 'em, it's good value for me to let them go get dirty and get the parts I need, send them to me in the mail). A used bulb might match the color of the remaining one better than new.

Looks like there is a source for new Phillips D2S in Latvia now, $25 each but it's probably 3 weeks in transit. Hopefully not counterfeit but I have had good luck with OEM parts from Latvia so far. I have gotten Chinese knock-off D2S bulbs for like $6 each and was not very pleased with the results but that was some years ago.