AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d2-platform-discussion-8/)
-   -   Help From All You Wizards! Airbag control module..... (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d2-platform-discussion-8/help-all-you-wizards-airbag-control-module-2962642/)

Bonzo610 11-19-2018 06:23 PM

Help From All You Wizards! Airbag control module.....

Hello all,

I have a question that I cannot find a specific answer to using the search function. I have a 2003 S8, which recently lost it's horn-blowing ability. My Indy has confirmed that it is a non-functioning Airbag Control Module (his words), OEM part number 4B0880201AD. The steering wheel is a 4-spoke multi-function wheel. I asked a local dealer about this, and apparently this part is no longer available (NLA) through Audi.

Is my only option to a) locate one of these airbag modules on eBay, or b) find a parted-out S8 somewhere?

Shame on me, I don't have a Bentley, so can't confirm the p/n, just trusting my Indy on this. What say you, folks?

Thanks in advance for any advice proffered....

Regards,
​​​​​​​Steve

jfrahm 11-20-2018 06:36 AM

Do the other wheel functions light up and work? How was the airbag module confirmed to be the issue? I'd suspect the clockspring myself.

Bonzo610 11-20-2018 06:26 PM

All other functions work....

Hi,
Yes, all other functions work, it's just the horn that doesn't. They are saying that it's integrated with the airbag, and that whole part number has been discontinued and I can get a replacement. If it't just the clockspring, is that an easier fix? Is that readily available from the dealer? Perhaps I'm just not asking the right questions...

Regards,
Steve

jfrahm 11-21-2018 03:49 AM

Does the horn work via the keyfob?

I have not looked at the wiring diagram to see if the horn is triggered via the airbag module, that just seems odd. Would the radio controls also go through the airbag module? Airbag systems are usually separated from other systems because they are kinda explodey.

I do not know what these parts cost, you can look them up on dealer websites like Jim Ellis. However it's not a commonly replaced part and a used one from a part-out should be fine and reasonably priced.

Have you used the horn recently? Not the door lock "meep!" horn but the loud ones. If not maybe they are just rusted up.

Bonzo610 11-21-2018 05:11 PM

Reply...

Yes, the radio controls (volume, etc,) and shifter buttons still work fine, and the "meep" works from the remote locking. The only thing that doesn't is the horn. Good question on rust....I never used to use the horn. I'm thinking the Indy might have checked this already, but can't be sure.

Regards,
Steve

jfrahm 11-21-2018 05:12 PM

I was suggesting trying the panic button on the remote, not the "meep".

Bonzo610 11-21-2018 05:21 PM

Ahh haven't tried that...will do so shortly!

Bonzo610 11-22-2018 06:08 PM

Nope, horn doesn't work from the panic button....guess I need to look for replacement parts.

jfrahm 11-23-2018 04:35 AM

I kinda doubt the alarm module asks the airbag module to honk the horn if you mash the panic button so yeah I'd put in some earlplugs and try a jumper at the horn relay, maybe test the horns themselves with some jumper cables, etc.
Horses not zebras. The horns are probably rusted solid.