A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Fuel leak?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2001, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Fuel leak?

My wife pulled into the driveway today ('98 A8 4.2Q) after stopping at the gas station. We both noticed a strong gas smell, and after letting it sit for awhile then pulling into the garage, we noticed a small puddle. It seems as though there is about a drip per minute or so, with a pool forming about 6" in from the right rear tire. I crawled underneat and say some black flex tubing that was wet, but I couldn't see the actual source of the leak.

Could this be from topping off the tank? Is there a overflow setup of some kind? Or is the tank or fuel line leaking? Is it safe to drive to the dealer on monday (about 3 miles of city streets)? Any suggestiong appreciated.
Old 06-09-2001, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well I'm an experianced and trained professional idiot that's survived

an engine room fire on a commercial fishing boat 100 miles off the coast of Canada, using a chain saw while drinking beer and I believe "Chariots of Fire" is more than just a movie but a way of life so I'd just go for it ! ;-)

But Seriously,

I believe there is an overflow tube to prevent gas from coming out the filler neck of the gas tank and spilling onto the car's paint. I have a 1997 A6 and we have overflow tubes. I'd guess your car has one too. If the trip back from the gas station was very short or your wife really topped off the tank there may be a little dripping.

On the other hand you may have a real bona fide leak. If the car just wont stop dripping I'd think you got a real leak.

Remember whenever working around gasoline and other highly inflammable liquids/vapors :

<font color="#ff0000"><b>Do not use compressed air. The wind can create static electricity which can lead to sparks.

Use an explosion proof flashlight.

Do not turn the flashlight on or off while in the work area.

If you have a Mag lite (those aluminum ones that come in red, black, blue with the twist on/off switch and O-ring seals) that should be good.

Don't use some old flashlight you have to "bang" and "slap" to keep on.

Do not use open worklights that can ignite liquid gasoline.

Have a fire extinguisher at the ready.

Do not smoke.

Remember a garden hose can be better than nothing.
</b></font>

You may want to try just "rocking the car" by hand to see if any more drips appear. Hard to believe the tank is that full but who knows.

You have a steep driveway, road to your house?

If the car doesn't stop leaking gas I'd get it out of the garage for tonight. Vent the garage via a window if the fumes are bad before using an electric garage door opener. Put the car into Neutral and push her out if possible.

With a mechanics mirror and a flashlight you may be able to track the leak down.

If the car is under warranty I'd guess AOA will pay the bill to have the car "flat-bedded" to a dealer. (Remember you can't have the car towed in the classic sense as detailed in your owners manual.)

Post again tomorrow if things look bad. Hopefully someone with some A8 experiance will respond.