AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d2-platform-discussion-8/)
-   -   HELP! Transmission/TCM problems?! (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d2-platform-discussion-8/help-transmission-tcm-problems-2947130/)

flythebigsky 04-13-2018 03:08 PM

HELP! Transmission/TCM problems?!

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...5778a3816.jpeg

Gear indicators
Hi everyone, having a bit of a problem with my 2001 A8L D2 transmission. Drove it in this morning and everything functioned fine. However A little while (5 mins) after getting in this afternoon the car has acceleration problems, as if the transmission is slipping. The engine functions ok but the shifting is incorrect and when it does shift it shutters a bit. Nursed it home doing about 45-50 (I live about 7miles from town). It should be noted that upon entering the highway and trying to gain a bit of speed all of the gear indicator lights lit up, leading me to believe this is an electrical issue with the TCM or some such component. I restarted the car and the lights didn’t all come on again until I took on a small hill before my house. About a minute after that my check engine light came on. I checked the code with my onboard reader and it’s a PO170. Which I know can mean a lot of things but I’m most interested in the Mass Airflow Sensor as ive heard that can cause transmission malfunction. I don’t want to take it in to a shop because there are not many around here and the closest Audi dealer is 4 hours away. On a final note, all the gears function properly (Reverse, 1-5, Neautral, Park and Tiptronic). Help much appreciated! Mostly wondering if the PO170 has anything to do with it or how to tell if it’s mechanical instead of electrical. Thank you!!!

hillpc 04-14-2018 07:23 AM

All the positions lit up is usually not a good sign; I believe it means the trans has gone into limp mode, which is only one gear, 5th, according to the info I have.

I couldn't find P0170 in my Bentley manual. What engine code do you have?

flythebigsky 04-14-2018 07:35 AM

Thank for replying so soon! Quick thought wouldent it stay in limp mode once it entered it? Eh I believe the code is in fact PO170 I can double check when I head out to the shop this morning though. I’m no sure(?) The reader (Scangauge 2) only lets me see fault codes. Gonna dig around a bit today and see if I can find water damage anywhere, or loose wires. If the transmission needs replaced I guess so be it. But yesterday it was covered in snow and it got quite warm throughout the day and the snow all melted leading me to believe ya know, water just got somewhere it shouldent. I don’t know haha. I’ll get back on here this evening with what I’ve found

2001 S8 04-14-2018 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by flythebigsky (Post 25138489)
Thank for replying so soon! Quick thought wouldent it stay in limp mode once it entered it? Eh I believe the...

Agree with Hillpc, trans failure is starting. There are cases where a transmission will go in limp mode. The owner will pull over and turn the car off and then back on. The transmission will reset itself and operate fine for a short time. Another indicator is the fact you drove the car for 5 minutes and went in to limp mode. As the transmission heat up from driving, the trans will slip causing limp mode.

I hope I'm wrong and it's just a water issue.

Good luck.

flythebigsky 04-14-2018 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by 2001 S8 (Post 25138676)
Agree with Hillpc, trans failure is starting. There are cases where a transmission will go in limp mode. The owner will pull over and turn the car off and then back on. The transmission will reset itself and operate fine for a short time. Another indicator is the fact you drove the car for 5 minutes and went in to limp mode. As the transmission heat up from driving, the trans will slip causing limp mode.

I hope I'm wrong and it's just a water issue.

Good luck.

I’m starting to think you guys are more and more correct about it being the actual transmission. Started it just for fun tonight as I couldn’t really do anymore digging due to time restrictions. Anyways what resulted was a second code, PO733. Unlike PO170 it has to do directly with the tranny, which is worrisome. As I said if it needs a new tranny I guess so be it. I’m not sure of the last time it was flushed but I’ve heard that’s honestly not cheap. The ony hope I’m holding on to is the fact that the transmission had NO anomilaies before that day. And all of a sudden it just doesn’t work? I don’t know a lot about transmission if there’s anymore insight it’s greatly appreciated. For now though I think I’m gonna go with probably the cheapest option at the moment and get another TMC. Hopefully it works but I’m prepared for it not to knowing my luck haha. Anyways thx again for all the help everyone. I will upload a YouTube video of a little drive I took, the last drive before having to replace somthing big haha. I’ll get back to you guys with the link tomorrow. Internet slow here.

flythebigsky 04-16-2018 07:31 AM

Here’s the video I was referring to earlier. (
) - I apologize for the quality. Also it should be noted that the shaking near the end is me trying to operate tiptronic, stay on the road, and video at the same time😂 But there for sure is shuttering. Going in today to check prices on a transmission fluid check and change, as that is due for service anyways. If shops here can do it I’ll most likely get it done tomorrow. Will keep this forum updated as I really want to figure out the problem. Love the car and how much of a joy it is to drive and I miss it already😥

tozoM8 04-17-2018 05:22 AM

Limp mode.

99.9% sure it is a clutch A basket. It needs a rebuild.

flythebigsky 04-17-2018 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by tozoM8 (Post 25139593)
99.9% sure it is a clutch A basket. It needs a rebuild.

Yeh, I’ve read about that haha. Would it cost less to get another transmission or rebuild the clutch? Thx for the input👍

flythebigsky 04-17-2018 06:44 PM

Calling Bozeman Audi tomorrow�� Shops around here useless and I guess if they charge a lot they charge a lot but we’ll see.

jfrahm 04-18-2018 08:01 AM

Most dealers will outsource the job, you might look for ZF rebuilders in your area. If it were my car and was worth the cost of repair I would buy a good used transmission, FUN code, and replace the lower valve body on it and install the Transgo replacement valve. Then new seals and install it. I have little faith in rebuilds other than by known-good techs like Tozo. Rebuilders often cut corners and do not address the root cause, and the trans may never be right and may even fail again soon.

I had a really nice FUN code trans (spare part for my 2001) I sold to a list member called Dr. A8 who is located near Salt Lake, his car was wrecked before he installed it. If he still has the trans you might consider getting it and having it installed, maybe $2500 all in.
A rebuild is likely $4000 and if your car would be worth $3000 (perhaps an optimistic price) with a good trans you might not wish to perform the work.

Good luck,
-Joel.

hillpc 04-18-2018 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by flythebigsky (Post 25140010)
Calling Bozeman Audi tomorrow�� Shops around here useless and I guess if they charge a lot they charge a lot but we’ll see.

My cousin in Toronto was quoted $8000 by the local Audi dealer to replace it. They wouldn't rebuild it. He was going to junk the car, so I get it, and rebuilt it myself. That's a job not for the timid, inexperienced, or lacking a lift.

I did get a local shop to offer to rebuild it for $2500 or so, if I brought the trans itself in and picked it up when done. Rebuilt ones are over $3000 from rockauto.com. But Joel's points are well taken.

Vinnie232 07-19-2018 02:26 AM

Audi a5 tiptronic problem

Hi all,
been an Audi owner as far back as I can remember from the A4 to the a6 and currently an A5 tiptronic sportsback 2010 model .. roughly 2 year ago I had an issue where the transmission oil leaked from a stainless steel pipe connected by a bracket to the top of the gearbox ..after an inspection by a mechanic he informed me that the leak occurred through a fractured weld on the stainless steel pipe .. he advised me that this was a design flaw by Audi and since then Audi have rectified the problem by adding a special clip and bracket. To refit the pipes . Transmission oil the cost of the job was over 2000 euro .. 2 year and 4 days later 20.000 only done ..the same pipe has fractured in the exact same place.. after contacting Audi Ireland they refuse to help me in any way due to the warranty been out a few days they refuse to issue me a parts warranty so I'm left with no choice but to pay for the job all over again .. I had to draw down a loan to pay for the job the first time round .. I can't afford to pay again ..is there anyone out there that can be some kind of assistance or have had this problem before with some sort of resolve I would greatly appreciate it .. thanks for reading..

flythebigsky 07-19-2018 04:14 PM

Resolved.

Alright so I guess as I kinda thought the whole thing needed replacement, whoever said the clutch A basket was screwed was right on point😄 Thank you and I should’ve taken it to a mechanic sooner. (European Performance, billings mt) The repairs were around 3500 but’s that’s more than worth it for a car so fantastic. I thought about trading out for something like a Mercedes or BMW after fixing it, even another Audi. But something about that car is speacial😂 To whomever is haveing issues with the A5, I hope that gets resolved soon.

Y888 07-20-2018 11:08 AM

Its the exterior design,in 50 years it will be beautiful if the paint is kept in good condition :)

Oxnardo Ring 07-20-2018 05:38 PM

Yep, that's Gabor. He knows virtually everything about these-- and has rebuilt gearboxes for a lot of us.

Oxnardo Ring 07-20-2018 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by flythebigsky (Post 25182606)
Alright so I guess as I kinda thought the whole thing needed replacement, whoever said the clutch A basket was screwed was right on point😄 Thank you and I should’ve taken it to a mechanic sooner. (European Performance, billings mt) The repairs were around 3500 but’s that’s more than worth it for a car so fantastic. I thought about trading out for something like a Mercedes or BMW after fixing it, even another Audi. But something about that car is speacial😂 To whomever is haveing issues with the A5, I hope that gets resolved soon.

And, since they are virtually 100% aluminum some of us view it as our mission to keep them from being turned into Coors Light cans...
Well sorted the unibody, doors and panels will last forever. They will not rust. (Although, oddly, the fuel flap door has some ferric material in it-- and it will corrode if exposed to enough salt and road ice melter)

nossisnave 07-30-2018 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by hillpc (Post 25140272)
My cousin in Toronto was quoted $8000 by the local Audi dealer to replace it. They wouldn't rebuild it. He was going to junk the car, so I get it, and rebuilt it myself. That's a job not for the timid, inexperienced, or lacking a lift.

I did get a local shop to offer to rebuild it for $2500 or so, if I brought the trans itself in and picked it up when done. Rebuilt ones are over $3000 from rockauto.com. But Joel's points are well taken.

Hows the rebuild going for you?

hillpc 08-06-2018 07:53 AM

My rebuild is done; been driving the vehicle since the Spring. It was on my lift for a long time. The A drum I think was $130. The rebuild kit was somewhere around $200 if I recall correctly.

a8gd 12-06-2018 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by hillpc (Post 25191260)
My rebuild is done; been driving the vehicle since the Spring. It was on my lift for a long time. The A drum I think was $130. The rebuild kit was somewhere around $200 if I recall correctly.

Nice work! post some pics if you snapped some?

hillpc 12-10-2018 07:27 PM

I only took a few pictures, but they wouldn't be enough to help anyone rebuild their trans. For that in-depth info, I sent someone I think I found on this forum a Paypal donation for a very useful, quite marked up rebuild manual on CD. Pix and comments throughout it. There are also other posts on this forum with a more complete photo essay, but not as good as the CD.

But I left out some additional cost for the rebuild. In addition to the A drum and rebuild kit, I also had to do some valve body work to fix a crack in the upper valve body and get an improved pressure regulator (inside a rebuilt lower valve body) to prevent the A drum from blowing again. That stuff was $125 + $135. (Still way cheaper than the alternatives.) Tonight I pasted at https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...dvice-2963025/ some info on that valve body work. An excerpt from that post:

I installed a rebuilt lower valve body with oversized pressure regulator valve from Eriksson Industries ($125) when I rebuilt the trans. I did not take the valve body apart to look at it after I received it, and I don't know the difference between oversized and Transgo. I also sent in my upper valve body to Eriksson for welding ($135) because of a crack, potentially (?) due to the same overpressure that broke the A drum. They also sell the complete upper valve body ready to go, but I was unclear about part numbers, so I took the upper valve body apart and sent in the casting for welding.

jpriboj 12-18-2018 08:15 AM

2002 Audi S8

Bear with me as I give you a some background info...
I've read the thread and it is obvious that I will be heading in the tranny rebuilt land soon. I have a beautiful 2002 Pearl White S8 with almost 169,000 miles on it. It makes me almost cry, when I think of getting rid off the car only to avoid costly transmission repairs. About 3 years ago, I noticed a burning smell whenever I pulled in to the garage (which now I think may just be a leaky valve cover gasket where the oil drips on the exhaust). Anyway, worried about the tranny being low on fluid, I took it to a local transmission place and had the fluid replaced. Was told that there was a lot of metal particles in the pan. Maybe a year later I started to experience shuttering when in third gear, going slow up a hill while gently accelerating. This did not bother me much as I did not find my self in that situation too often and knew how to drive the car to avoid it from happening. A year ago, I started to experience vibration at 2300rpm and worried that it may again be a drive shaft and tranny issue, I took it to a transmission shop. Told them about the vibration, the 3rd gear shutter, and burning smell. They found the vibration to be present at 2300rpm at any speed, even when parked. They also found a leaky transmission rear output seal. So...the seal was changed, transmission refilled with Universal Synthetic ATF fluid and (the gear section of tranny?) filled with BG Ultra Guard Full Synthetic Gear Lubricant SAE 75W90, along with ATC Plus Additive. Gasket and filter changed as well. It was a cold day when I got the car back and as soon as I drove it off the lot, I noticed a heavy winding sound. I figured that the new heavy fluids must be thick and just need to warm up - please someone comment on this if you can. This does go away after maybe 5 minutes of driving but the winding is still there a bit if you listen hard enough. That service was done a year and 10,000 miles ago. Now the shifts from 2 to 3 and 3 to 4 are getting worse. If I accelerate gently, all shifts happen smoothly and around 2000rpm. If doing the same but uphill, the shift from 2 to 3 does not happen until 3000rpm (again, I am accelerating gently). If I accelerate hard (hardly do that anymore) the gear shifts seem to happen late and whistling / whinding sound is present. Not sure what to do next.

jfrahm 12-18-2018 09:02 AM

Definitely get someone who knows what they are doing check / top off the ATF as it's often left low by shops unfamiliar with the procedure. The car has to be running to get enough trans fluid in.
It could also have the wrong filter in it, in that case the pickup neck of the filter is too close to the pan and it starves of fluid. No way to check that without taking the pan off.