AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d2-platform-discussion-8/)
-   -   HELP! Transmission/TCM problems?! (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d2-platform-discussion-8/help-transmission-tcm-problems-2947130/)

hillpc 04-18-2018 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by flythebigsky (Post 25140010)
Calling Bozeman Audi tomorrow�� Shops around here useless and I guess if they charge a lot they charge a lot but we’ll see.

My cousin in Toronto was quoted $8000 by the local Audi dealer to replace it. They wouldn't rebuild it. He was going to junk the car, so I get it, and rebuilt it myself. That's a job not for the timid, inexperienced, or lacking a lift.

I did get a local shop to offer to rebuild it for $2500 or so, if I brought the trans itself in and picked it up when done. Rebuilt ones are over $3000 from rockauto.com. But Joel's points are well taken.

Vinnie232 07-19-2018 02:26 AM

Audi a5 tiptronic problem

Hi all,
been an Audi owner as far back as I can remember from the A4 to the a6 and currently an A5 tiptronic sportsback 2010 model .. roughly 2 year ago I had an issue where the transmission oil leaked from a stainless steel pipe connected by a bracket to the top of the gearbox ..after an inspection by a mechanic he informed me that the leak occurred through a fractured weld on the stainless steel pipe .. he advised me that this was a design flaw by Audi and since then Audi have rectified the problem by adding a special clip and bracket. To refit the pipes . Transmission oil the cost of the job was over 2000 euro .. 2 year and 4 days later 20.000 only done ..the same pipe has fractured in the exact same place.. after contacting Audi Ireland they refuse to help me in any way due to the warranty been out a few days they refuse to issue me a parts warranty so I'm left with no choice but to pay for the job all over again .. I had to draw down a loan to pay for the job the first time round .. I can't afford to pay again ..is there anyone out there that can be some kind of assistance or have had this problem before with some sort of resolve I would greatly appreciate it .. thanks for reading..

flythebigsky 07-19-2018 04:14 PM

Resolved.

Alright so I guess as I kinda thought the whole thing needed replacement, whoever said the clutch A basket was screwed was right on point😄 Thank you and I should’ve taken it to a mechanic sooner. (European Performance, billings mt) The repairs were around 3500 but’s that’s more than worth it for a car so fantastic. I thought about trading out for something like a Mercedes or BMW after fixing it, even another Audi. But something about that car is speacial😂 To whomever is haveing issues with the A5, I hope that gets resolved soon.

Y888 07-20-2018 11:08 AM

Its the exterior design,in 50 years it will be beautiful if the paint is kept in good condition :)

Oxnardo Ring 07-20-2018 05:38 PM

Yep, that's Gabor. He knows virtually everything about these-- and has rebuilt gearboxes for a lot of us.

Oxnardo Ring 07-20-2018 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by flythebigsky (Post 25182606)
Alright so I guess as I kinda thought the whole thing needed replacement, whoever said the clutch A basket was screwed was right on point😄 Thank you and I should’ve taken it to a mechanic sooner. (European Performance, billings mt) The repairs were around 3500 but’s that’s more than worth it for a car so fantastic. I thought about trading out for something like a Mercedes or BMW after fixing it, even another Audi. But something about that car is speacial😂 To whomever is haveing issues with the A5, I hope that gets resolved soon.

And, since they are virtually 100% aluminum some of us view it as our mission to keep them from being turned into Coors Light cans...
Well sorted the unibody, doors and panels will last forever. They will not rust. (Although, oddly, the fuel flap door has some ferric material in it-- and it will corrode if exposed to enough salt and road ice melter)

nossisnave 07-30-2018 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by hillpc (Post 25140272)
My cousin in Toronto was quoted $8000 by the local Audi dealer to replace it. They wouldn't rebuild it. He was going to junk the car, so I get it, and rebuilt it myself. That's a job not for the timid, inexperienced, or lacking a lift.

I did get a local shop to offer to rebuild it for $2500 or so, if I brought the trans itself in and picked it up when done. Rebuilt ones are over $3000 from rockauto.com. But Joel's points are well taken.

Hows the rebuild going for you?

hillpc 08-06-2018 07:53 AM

My rebuild is done; been driving the vehicle since the Spring. It was on my lift for a long time. The A drum I think was $130. The rebuild kit was somewhere around $200 if I recall correctly.

a8gd 12-06-2018 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by hillpc (Post 25191260)
My rebuild is done; been driving the vehicle since the Spring. It was on my lift for a long time. The A drum I think was $130. The rebuild kit was somewhere around $200 if I recall correctly.

Nice work! post some pics if you snapped some?

hillpc 12-10-2018 07:27 PM

I only took a few pictures, but they wouldn't be enough to help anyone rebuild their trans. For that in-depth info, I sent someone I think I found on this forum a Paypal donation for a very useful, quite marked up rebuild manual on CD. Pix and comments throughout it. There are also other posts on this forum with a more complete photo essay, but not as good as the CD.

But I left out some additional cost for the rebuild. In addition to the A drum and rebuild kit, I also had to do some valve body work to fix a crack in the upper valve body and get an improved pressure regulator (inside a rebuilt lower valve body) to prevent the A drum from blowing again. That stuff was $125 + $135. (Still way cheaper than the alternatives.) Tonight I pasted at https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...dvice-2963025/ some info on that valve body work. An excerpt from that post:

I installed a rebuilt lower valve body with oversized pressure regulator valve from Eriksson Industries ($125) when I rebuilt the trans. I did not take the valve body apart to look at it after I received it, and I don't know the difference between oversized and Transgo. I also sent in my upper valve body to Eriksson for welding ($135) because of a crack, potentially (?) due to the same overpressure that broke the A drum. They also sell the complete upper valve body ready to go, but I was unclear about part numbers, so I took the upper valve body apart and sent in the casting for welding.