HELP! Transmission/TCM problems?! - Page 2 - AudiWorld Forums

Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A8 / S8 > A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion
Reload this Page >

HELP! Transmission/TCM problems?!

Notices
A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002

HELP! Transmission/TCM problems?!

Old 04-18-2018, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by flythebigsky View Post
Calling Bozeman Audi tomorrow�� Shops around here useless and I guess if they charge a lot they charge a lot but we’ll see.
My cousin in Toronto was quoted $8000 by the local Audi dealer to replace it. They wouldn't rebuild it. He was going to junk the car, so I get it, and rebuilt it myself. That's a job not for the timid, inexperienced, or lacking a lift.

I did get a local shop to offer to rebuild it for $2500 or so, if I brought the trans itself in and picked it up when done. Rebuilt ones are over $3000 from rockauto.com. But Joel's points are well taken.

Last edited by hillpc; 04-18-2018 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Audi a5 tiptronic problem

Hi all,
been an Audi owner as far back as I can remember from the A4 to the a6 and currently an A5 tiptronic sportsback 2010 model .. roughly 2 year ago I had an issue where the transmission oil leaked from a stainless steel pipe connected by a bracket to the top of the gearbox ..after an inspection by a mechanic he informed me that the leak occurred through a fractured weld on the stainless steel pipe .. he advised me that this was a design flaw by Audi and since then Audi have rectified the problem by adding a special clip and bracket. To refit the pipes . Transmission oil the cost of the job was over 2000 euro .. 2 year and 4 days later 20.000 only done ..the same pipe has fractured in the exact same place.. after contacting Audi Ireland they refuse to help me in any way due to the warranty been out a few days they refuse to issue me a parts warranty so I'm left with no choice but to pay for the job all over again .. I had to draw down a loan to pay for the job the first time round .. I can't afford to pay again ..is there anyone out there that can be some kind of assistance or have had this problem before with some sort of resolve I would greatly appreciate it .. thanks for reading..
Old 07-19-2018, 05:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Resolved.

Alright so I guess as I kinda thought the whole thing needed replacement, whoever said the clutch A basket was screwed was right on point😄 Thank you and I shouldíve taken it to a mechanic sooner. (European Performance, billings mt) The repairs were around 3500 butís thatís more than worth it for a car so fantastic. I thought about trading out for something like a Mercedes or BMW after fixing it, even another Audi. But something about that car is speacial😂 To whomever is haveing issues with the A5, I hope that gets resolved soon.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Its the exterior design,in 50 years it will be beautiful if the paint is kept in good condition
Old 07-20-2018, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yep, that's Gabor. He knows virtually everything about these-- and has rebuilt gearboxes for a lot of us.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by flythebigsky View Post
Alright so I guess as I kinda thought the whole thing needed replacement, whoever said the clutch A basket was screwed was right on point😄 Thank you and I shouldíve taken it to a mechanic sooner. (European Performance, billings mt) The repairs were around 3500 butís thatís more than worth it for a car so fantastic. I thought about trading out for something like a Mercedes or BMW after fixing it, even another Audi. But something about that car is speacial😂 To whomever is haveing issues with the A5, I hope that gets resolved soon.
And, since they are virtually 100% aluminum some of us view it as our mission to keep them from being turned into Coors Light cans...
Well sorted the unibody, doors and panels will last forever. They will not rust. (Although, oddly, the fuel flap door has some ferric material in it-- and it will corrode if exposed to enough salt and road ice melter)

Old 07-30-2018, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hillpc View Post
My cousin in Toronto was quoted $8000 by the local Audi dealer to replace it. They wouldn't rebuild it. He was going to junk the car, so I get it, and rebuilt it myself. That's a job not for the timid, inexperienced, or lacking a lift.

I did get a local shop to offer to rebuild it for $2500 or so, if I brought the trans itself in and picked it up when done. Rebuilt ones are over $3000 from rockauto.com. But Joel's points are well taken.
Hows the rebuild going for you?
Old 08-06-2018, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

My rebuild is done; been driving the vehicle since the Spring. It was on my lift for a long time. The A drum I think was $130. The rebuild kit was somewhere around $200 if I recall correctly.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by hillpc View Post
My rebuild is done; been driving the vehicle since the Spring. It was on my lift for a long time. The A drum I think was $130. The rebuild kit was somewhere around $200 if I recall correctly.
Nice work! post some pics if you snapped some?
Old 12-10-2018, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

I only took a few pictures, but they wouldn't be enough to help anyone rebuild their trans. For that in-depth info, I sent someone I think I found on this forum a Paypal donation for a very useful, quite marked up rebuild manual on CD. Pix and comments throughout it. There are also other posts on this forum with a more complete photo essay, but not as good as the CD.

But I left out some additional cost for the rebuild. In addition to the A drum and rebuild kit, I also had to do some valve body work to fix a crack in the upper valve body and get an improved pressure regulator (inside a rebuilt lower valve body) to prevent the A drum from blowing again. That stuff was $125 + $135. (Still way cheaper than the alternatives.) Tonight I pasted at https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...dvice-2963025/ some info on that valve body work. An excerpt from that post:

I installed a rebuilt lower valve body with oversized pressure regulator valve from Eriksson Industries ($125) when I rebuilt the trans. I did not take the valve body apart to look at it after I received it, and I don't know the difference between oversized and Transgo. I also sent in my upper valve body to Eriksson for welding ($135) because of a crack, potentially (?) due to the same overpressure that broke the A drum. They also sell the complete upper valve body ready to go, but I was unclear about part numbers, so I took the upper valve body apart and sent in the casting for welding.

Last edited by hillpc; 12-10-2018 at 08:51 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP! Transmission/TCM problems?!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: