A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help w/S8 Sport Seats - Need some feedback....

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2001, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help w/S8 Sport Seats - Need some feedback....

It's time I inquiry the S8 owners on this forum. (Those with the Sport seats that is...

I have two issues with my sport seats:

1) Lumbar support "deflates" almost immediately
2) The seat extension does not truly lock into place.

Adjusting the lumbar to its maximum setting there is a "ratcheting" effect. There is no solid stop. Comparably different from that of the lumbar in the rear seats. Shortly after adjusting the lumbar to its maximum setting, it begins to retract (deflate). A minute or two later you can literally adjust it all the way out again. It simply does not hold its setting.

The service manager at Cunningham Audi has placed several calls to the "factory rep" discovering that Audi does NOT make the sport seat for the S8. And, that this seat uses a different lumbar mechanism (air bladder instead of the lumbar motor used in A8/L's) than the comfort seats. Disappointingly enough the factory rep stated this is a normal operation for the lumbar in this seat.....yeah, ok.

The second issue involves the seat extension. This mechanism is flimsy to say the least and simply does not solidly lock in place. My first experience I nearly had an accident when I tried to sit up a little further in the seat and the thing snapped back at me while on the freeway. Upon further examination, it takes but a pound or so of applicable force to make this thing snap back.

I took delivery of my S8 in the last week of May. Another S8 came in two weeks later and is still awaiting delivery to its owner. My salesman, service manager, and witnesses galore examined this other S8 only to find that it exhibited the very same issues. Both lumbar and seat extension. There is a suspicion that this may be a batch issue. We have yet to inspect the first S8 that came in 6 months ago. This should take place this week.

The problems are to be escalated this week with Audi Customer Relations. I would, however, be very curious as to how many others of you are experiencing the same problems with their seats. Please let us know....

Thank you,
Jim
Old 06-26-2001, 12:58 PM

Default Re: Help w/S8 Sport Seats - Need some feedback....

I am having the exact same problems however, they don't bother me as much.

The lumbar is annoying because it doesn't push the adjustment in the direction that the user requests it to go and it doesn't stay...
Old 06-26-2001, 12:59 PM

BTW - Mine is a January '01 car....
Old 06-26-2001, 02:47 PM

Default Same issue on the January '01 car....

Thank you for the feedback.

I was able to test the seats in the January '01 car today as well. Ditto on the seat issue...

Unfortunately I see a chiropractor nearly twice a week therefore I notice the issue right off. Else, many of those who have responded via e-mail had never noticed it either.

Jim
Old 06-26-2001, 03:00 PM

Default Audi Client Relations - S8 Sport Seats

To date, I have received 14 messages from S8 owners experiencing the same issue with the sport seats. Apparently it is no longer a "batch" issue but appears to be a design flaw within the sport seats.

A case has been opened with Client Relations. I would ask those of you who are having the problem to make a call to Audi Client Relations:

800-822-2834

Whether or not you want resolution please let them know. They appear to be very concerned and I must say, I am very impressed with the way they are handling the issue.

Jim
Old 06-26-2001, 10:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Extension not supposed to lock

Regarding seat extension:

I am quite sure this is meant to be that way. It is the same with all Audi (made by Recaro) sports seats with extending leg support I know of, dating back to early '90's. There are probably good reasons for this, but I have to admit I don't see them clearly. Might be a security issue.

I don't find it to be a problem though, it will stay extended during riding, and if you accidentally apply force to it and it "snapps back" (it can not "snap back" with greater force than applied), just re-extend it. I have hard to understand how this could cause any accident, finding it a bit far fetched.

Regarding the lumbar support, mine does not behave like described. It will deflate over time, but not during a ride. Talking about weeks.

Best regards,
Kjell A
Old 06-27-2001, 04:14 AM
Elder Member

Default With my S8, no and yes ...

You can make the extension flop around a bit when you're not in the seat; but it does lock in place and has never accidently moved during 8000 miles of driving.

Same experience with the lumber support, no problems over very long periods of time.
Old 06-28-2001, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Kjell, do you have the Recaro seats?

Kjell, do you have the Recaro seats or the Audi seats?
Old 06-28-2001, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have the Recaro seats, same as S8