A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to change A8 D2 front foglight switch?

Old 10-16-2013, 10:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to change A8 D2 front foglight switch?

Any D2 owner out there know how to change the front foglight switch?

I am sure that the faux walnut fascia,where the switch is located, has to be removed to access the switch housing but not sure.

Appreciate advice if anybody has solved this one previously.

Tony Barbz
Old 10-17-2013, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Barbz

I am sure that the faux walnut fascia,where the switch is located, has to be removed to access the switch housing but not sure.

Tony Barbz
Facelift D2?...Please always include that in posts or your sig, when seeking help. Lots of things changed.

If so, you pry up the front walnut trim from the bottom (above ashtray), held on by 4 "nipples"...the bottom 2 take a little effort. Once this trim is pulled, the switches will push out from the rear.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Year 2000 A8 D2 4.2 Quattro. Front fog light switch removal.

Not sure what facelift this is Silverd
Tried iniatially to remove the faux walnut fascia but was scared that it would crack as it was firmly held in place.
Removed the switch by prizing off the front face of switch, which is push click type of face. The sides of the switch body were then exposed. On either side of the body are spring clips to hold it in place. Inserted a flat butter type of knife in to either side to push in the clips and pulled it out with thin nosed pliers. Much easier than anticipated and no damage to the fascia.

Unfortunately, after fitting the new switch, the fog lights are still not working so going to get the relay checked by an Auto electrician this morning. The relay is situated at front of passenger foot well. Remove carpet and under lay padding and remove wooden panel to expose the relays.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Not sure what facelift this is Silverd
Tried iniatially to remove the faux walnut fascia but was scared that it would crack as it was firmly held in place.
Removed the switch by prizing off the front face of switch, which is push click type of face. The sides of the switch body were then exposed. On either side of the body are spring clips to hold it in place. Inserted a flat butter type of knife in to either side to push in the clips and pulled it out with thin nosed pliers. Much easier than anticipated and no damage to the fascia.

Unfortunately, after fitting the new switch, the fog lights are still not working so going to get the relay checked by an Auto electrician this morning. The relay is situated at front of passenger foot well. Remove carpet and under lay padding and remove wooden panel to expose the relays.
I've never had to remove my radio trim faceplate, but have read that the 1st time it comes off, the lower 2 nipples are incredibly tight.

But you used the same principle to pull the switch. I wouldn't have a problem prying out a switch, but might cover the pry points with thick tape first, to avoid scratching the trim.

For future reference, some other interior trim removal procedures >>

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...im_removal.pdf
Old 10-18-2013, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

I am sure that the faux walnut fascia, where the switch is located, has to be removed to access the switch housing but not sure.

Tony Barbz
Faux? It's all real wood! The leather is all fake though The first time I pulled the radio trim I thought I was going to break it. I used one of those L-shaped trim pullers and pulled from under the bottom edge where the piece turns back towards the front of the car. A firm tug and it pops right off.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2000 A8 D2 Front fogs STILL not working!

Carried out the following steps to try to get front fogs working:
Changed the switch -no joy.
Changed the relay - no joy.

Auto electrician ran power directly from battery to fog light and they both came on so the actual lights do work.

He now thinks that there might be a break in the wire from switch to the relay or to the fuse box.

Does anybody have a copy of the wiring diagram for this model so that we can run another cable to get the lights working.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Carried out the following steps to try to get front fogs working:
Changed the switch -no joy.
Changed the relay - no joy.

Auto electrician ran power directly from battery to fog light and they both came on so the actual lights do work.

He now thinks that there might be a break in the wire from switch to the relay or to the fuse box.

Does anybody have a copy of the wiring diagram for this model so that we can run another cable to get the lights working.
He's not much of an "auto electrician" if he doesn't have access to online diagrams. Any number of electricians, mechanics or garages can share an online subscription to services like Mitchell on Demand and access it wiring diagrams from any car made in the last 30 yrs + from any computer anywhere.

Just like any home mechanic or DIYer who doesn't have a manual like Bentley (or equivalent) only has half a tool box, inadequate for the job. A Bentley will pay for itself the first time you don't have to pay a so-called "professional" to perform task made simple with the proper information.

Well, unsolicited editorial out of the way, here's you a freebie from Bentley >>>

Old 10-20-2013, 01:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Many thanks for the wiring diagram and agree that auto electrician
should have access to this sort of information. For my part I will look in to purchasing either a Bentley or Haynes workshop manual for future reference, particularly as have put so much in to the car and intend keeping it for a considerable time.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Many thanks for the wiring diagram and agree that auto electrician
should have access to this sort of information. For my part I will look in to purchasing either a Bentley or Haynes workshop manual for future reference, particularly as have put so much in to the car and intend keeping it for a considerable time.
You'll be glad you did...Bentley info comes straight from Audi, the same info given to their techs. But, for our cars, it only comes on DVD or computer download (windows only...XP, Vista...don't know if it works with later systems?).

Haynes, or any other publisher for that matter, doesn't have a manual for D2 Audi's.

This is the cheapest I've seen a Bentley...and great people to deal with >>>

http://www.partsgeek.com/1tzwlhs-aud...ir-manual.html
Old 10-22-2013, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for info. Have owned this A8 D2 for about 7 years and did not know such a manual existed so have ordered it and it will be sent to my daughter in England (partsgeek will not send direct to South Africa) and she will post it on to me in South Africa - isn't communication great!!!!

Check Razman posts as he is a recent A8 owner and, with your experience as an owner I am sure you will also be able to help him with advice, as you
have me. Unfortunately in South Africa, as in Australia, we are a bit far away from the main stream on many levels so it is quite difficult - and expensive to get parts and service at a reasonable price - specially with a car like the A8 because there are not a lot of them around over here.

Thanks

Tony

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to change A8 D2 front foglight switch?