A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to chose between A8 and A6?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2000, 01:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to chose between A8 and A6?

Hi folks...I am new here...and new to Audi too...having driven MBs for the last 10 years. I am considering to purchase either a A6 2.8 or the A8 2.8 FWD...allow me to explain.

I live in Singapore, a country roughly 30miles East to West, and 20miles North to South...speed limit 90km/hr tops. Weather is always hot, humid, with some months of heavy downpour. And cars are EXTREMELY expensive. To put a A8 2.8 on the road, it will cost me approx US$158k (no typo...One Hundred and Fifty Eight Thousand US Dollars). And I just can't afford the A8 4.2 Quattro that you guys are talking about...though I have driven one before, and its a wonderful car.

So my question is...given this situation, will I be better off with the A6 or the A8? BTW, the A8 costs about S$60k more (that's about US$40k).

Thanks,

Pete
Old 04-21-2000, 08:02 AM

Default Re: How to chose between A8 and A6?

In a normal US situation... I would tell you to go for the A8. But the thing is... you live in Singapore... were them cars are damn expensive! So I would have to say go for the A6.... and load it up man. Quattro is a wonderful thing to have, and the A6 is a wonderful car. Even though the two cars you talked about use the same engine... I believe that engine is well more suited for the A6 (even though the A8 is a rather light car)<p>_________________
Matt

...hmmmm
Old 04-21-2000, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I know the problem...

I lived in Hong Kong for awhile and the problems with taxation, importation tariffs, and other costs being passed on to consumers are bad everywhere in southeast Asia.

Have you considered the diesel A8? If it is offered in Singapore, this would be my top choice. It is ideal for city use and has superior range to any of the other variants.

What are the other considerations? Do you need to carry four people often? Do you need special packages only available on the A8 (diplomatic package only on A8 in HK, at least)? Do you have a parking arrangement where the valet can find a spot for the A8 when you arrive at work? Do you need to carry cargo, luggage, security detail?

All of these are considerations that break the borderline between the two cars. The A6 is a better car from many points of view - especially in a place like Singapore or Hong Kong where every inch of vehicle length you can save is a plus. The 2.8 A8, however, is quite a car and very powerful if you can justify the added cost.

Good luck to you!

Former HK, now American,
Cameron
Old 04-21-2000, 05:50 PM

Default Thanks...more

> Have you considered the diesel A8? If it is offered in Singapore, this would be my
> top choice. It is ideal for city use and has superior range to any of the other
> variants.

No diesels offered here.

> What are the other considerations? Do you need to carry four people often?

yes. the nature of my job, and lugging the family is requirement that is mandatory.

> you need special packages only available on the A8 (diplomatic package only on A8
> in HK, at least)?

hmm...don't need a diplomatic package...:-)

>Do you have a parking arrangement where the valet can find a
> spot for the A8 when you arrive at work? Do you need to carry cargo, luggage,
> security detail?

My office is in a company owned building with parking facilities. No problems.

No cargo, luggage requirements. My current car is a MB 300SE, and its boot is often empty. I don't play golf either (I collect watches as a hobby...how large can a watch box be...?)

I did go for a test drive of the A6 2.4, and given that my MB is a 1700kg car with only 188bhp, I found the 2.4 to be lively, and I don't need any more power. I did, however find the 2.4 a little noisy, and perhaps the airconditioner a little lacking (especially considering our 35C year round weather), and I find the Tiptronic masterful!

Thanks. and Cheers.
Old 04-21-2000, 10:04 PM

Default Try A6 4.2 Quattro!

I lived in Singapore for 17 years.
I know about Singapore's import tax
and the notorious "COE" penalty!!
My M3 here in the US could be sold
there for nearly US$60k!!!<p>Peter Y. Lee
Philadelphia, PA
96 M3 Lux (an S4 aficianado)
Remus exhaust, Brembo OE
slotteds, stainless steel lines,
JimC software & intake, H&R
w/ Bilstein, Hamann HM2 18"s,
S-02's, ERT underdrive pulley,
Ron Stygar SS, Racing Dynamics
su
Old 04-22-2000, 05:03 PM

Default Here is the price list...

A6 2.4 Tiptronic: S$215k
A6 2.8 Tiptronic: S$220k (unbelievable that S$5k separates these)
A8 2.8 Tiptronic: S$270k
A8 4.2 Quattro: S$368k
S6 4.2 Q Tiptronic: S$387k
S8 4.2 Q Tiptronic: S$400k (YES! we can get the S8 here!)

S$1.7=US$1 approx.
Old 04-22-2000, 06:17 PM

Default It's a tough call ...

Peter- I looked at/drove the A6 2.8 (wagon) when I started shopping for a car recently and really liked it however I ended up buying a pre owned '97 A8 4.2. for about six thousand (US) dollars more than the A6 would have cost new. I don't know how common a pre owned A8 is in Singapore but if you can find a low milage one maybe that could be an option that would make an A8 more feasable if you really want one. I know I was lucky to happen into the dealership two days after a fully loaded A8 with 9,800 miles was traded in. A8s are also not hot tickets here in the US so dealers want to get them off the lot and are very willing to deal. In any event somethings to consider with the A8 vs the A6. The A8 costs more than twice than the the A6 to insure (at least that is the case in the US) so the cost of ownership does not stop with the difference in the sale price. Also getting body work done to on an A8 can be a problem from what I have heard. I don't know much about the details of these body work issues other than due to the aluminium frame certin types of body damage require shops with specialized equipment to repairs the frame which are apparently few and far between is the US. If you like the power of the 4.2 you may want to see if the A6 2.7T will be available in Singapore in 2001. It pretty much matches the A8 in acceleration. Hope this helps.

Bill Mills
Old 04-22-2000, 06:32 PM

Default Outrageous! My dad paid S$200 for

an E-Class!!!!
If I were you Peter, import one under the name of Goh Chock Tong or Lee Hsien Long.
No tax at all!<p>Peter Y. Lee
Philadelphia, PA
96 M3 Lux (an S4 aficianado)
Remus exhaust, Brembo OE
slotteds, stainless steel lines,
JimC software & intake, H&R
w/ Bilstein, Hamann HM2 18"s,
S-02's, ERT underdrive pulley,
Ron Stygar SS, Racing Dynamics
su
Old 04-23-2000, 05:08 PM

Default used A8 4.2Q

Thanks for your comments, Bill.

I did find a late 96 A8 4.2Q Tiptronic...but it had nearly 90,000 miles (about 130,000 km) on it! They wanted S$190k for it, and I felt the gearbox was due for some major work when I drove it...but it felt excellent.

I doubt I will need the acceleration and power that most of you need...I found the test car - A6 2.4 Tiptronic to be sufficient, albiet the engine a little noisy.