A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to get Phone, DVD and other "new" stuff in your ICE.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to get Phone, DVD and other "new" stuff in your ICE.

So, I have a 2001 S8, has just over 80k on the odom now, and is very good shape.

The prior owner had a RNS d installed, and It was interesting, but I wanted a stereo that will link to my phone for hands free calls, has the ability to play DVD's, and CD's, as well as MP3 format music on a disk.
Most important however was that I could control an iPod from the head unit. (I don't use changers anymore, since you can pack a simple iPod with years of music, and put it on shuffle, and you are done. Entire shelves of CD's in a tiny package you have in the glove box.)

Looked at the option of going with the RNS e. About 1300.00 by the time I installed it, and I don't like the idea of the buttons on the wrong side of the screen.

Looked at a few other options, and ended up going with a Kenwood Dual DIN touch screen head unit that plays CD/DVD's, controls an iPod no sweat, and has bluetooth ability with any modern phone so you have hands free calling. (It also can have a back up camera wired into it, and I have the camera, but have not put it on the car yet.)

Install on an A8/S8 in the D2 body style is a challenge.

1) Nobody makes a drop in kit for DIN or dual DIN head units.
2) Not much is known about what will work, how deep the dash is, etc.
3) Most installers I talked to said 500.00 or more at a minimum to just get started with the install. (Not new speakers, just the head unit.)

So, using some tools you need to pull the stock stereo, and a friendly shop that I bought the Kenwood from, we pulled the RMS d, and determined that there is plenty of room, both side to side, and depth wise.

But, without a face place adapter, you either make your own, or you can adapt the A6 unit to work. (It is wider than the A8/S8 one, so you have to file it down to fit.)

Here is how I did mine.

I pulled the RNS d. Cover the shifter with two rags, to keep it from being scratched, this also allows you to protect the dash, and center console etc.

Using the right adapter plugs/harness, I wired up the Kenwood pigtail to the Audi stock plugs, and then tried to see if the system would work. It did, but there was a bad feedback loop THUMP noise, and later I found the engine noise whine was there as well. (This is the Bose Amp's pulling noise from the RCA plugs.)

To hook up the microphone for the Kenwood, I pulled two small covers, removed two screws, and pulled the gauges loose. Then snaked the wire for the Microphone so I could mount it right above the steering wheel, at the bottem of the gauges. Fits great, and works great there.

The stereo speakers are used for you to hear the other party when making calls hands free.

To get the A6 face plate adapter to work, I measured and marked it so it was slightly WIDER than the A8/S8 dash trim. Then using a bench mount sanding belt/wheel, I trimmed the plastic down, and checked it's fit against the dash trim. Keep slowly trimming till you get it perfect, and you get no gaps, and no nasty edges. I used a bastard file remove some plastic slag that ***** up as it's sanded down from the heat. I also used a sharp knife to clean up the edges, and remove excess plastic from places too.

The plastic frame fits tight/snug, but has nothing other than the head unit holding it in place.

Now for the head unit. The opening on the A8/S8 is barely wide enough for the dual DIN Kenwood unit. It fits, but it's tight. (This is WITH the metal cage mount around the Kenwood, that comes with the Kenwood.)

The Dash support/frame is aluminum, so no cutting or file work needed there, keep the tight fit, you will want it down the road.

I ended up using a cheap eBay 4 port ground loop isolator that also removed/filters out engine whine/noise. It was 28.00 to my door, and it's blue in color, but they have smoke ones too. You just put in in-line by plugging the RCA cables into it, so it's in-between the stereo, and your Bose amps. No more THUMP, no more whine.

Before I put the final face plate trim ring on, I made sure everything fit right, and worked right. Pulling the face plate trim is a PITA, so don't put it on until you get the unit working like you want it.

Here are some photos. This matches the stock red lamps at night perfect, it's not too bright at night, but I like it blacked out, so I turn off the screen most of the time, and it's clear to read easy in direct sunlight. (Plus you can angle the screen, so you can custom fit it to any driver/car.)

Old 01-09-2013, 01:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice. Thanks for the write up. I'm thinking of doing something similar. What did you wind up doing with the RNS d unit?
Old 01-12-2013, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

That is really awesome! Thanks for the post.

Dan
Old 01-15-2013, 11:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

I still have the RNS d unit, and the stock CD changer in the trunk.

I need to sell them I guess.

Anyone interested?

First 300.00 and both are yours, you pay shipping.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I must say it looks good!
Old 01-23-2013, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks!

I'm very happy with how this has turned out, and the ease of use with both outgoing, and incoming phone calls.

Depending on your phone, it uploads your phone list, so you see who's calling you, and you can do voice calls too etc. (IE: Call home.. it says "Did you mean call home?" Yes. It dials home, and you never took a finger off anything to make the call, but you do have to be on the phone "menu" for this to happen.

However, what's much more likely, is a inbound phone call, it just mutes the music, shows who's calling you, and you can push the big touch screen button to take, or the other one to reject the call. (Sending it to your phone's VM.)

I run my own company, so I get imbound phone calls all day long, and this setup works awesome, and 9 out of 10 folks don't complain about the sound quality. (Most aftermarket phone systems like this SUCK, and sound like crap, so I'm very happy that I can hear them, and they can hear me, and I have no headphones, ear dongles or mics hanging off my shirt etc.) The phone automatically pairs every time you get into or out of the car, just like it should too.

In the cold weather we have had lately, I've found that the touch screen works with gloves even. (A nice bonus that I was not considering when I bought it, but when it's -2 outside, and you have to wear gloves when you get into the car before it's warmed up, very nice indeed.)

Now I just wish my heated steering wheel worked like on my 2004 A8L... Speaking of that steering wheel, I'd love to have remote buttons for calls/volume/mode/station/track etc... Like those off my 2004.. Wonder how hard it would be to put a later model, D3 steering wheel onto the D2 body? (And of course, wire up the buttons to an adapter that works with the Kenwood... LOL)

I've been looking at the back up camera, and the unit I have replaces the plate frame, and has IR lights, so it works well in the dark, as well as during the daylight, and it's wireless, so who knows, it might work, or it might not... (2.8ghz or something like that, so I'd guess it should work.) In just playing around with the camera, it has a pretty good picture, and I was supprised to see it has the "lines" on the sides.. (But they are fixed, don't turn like the built in ones do when you turn the steering wheel, but hey, it's a cheap upgrade, so I'm not complaining, the camera was under 30.00.)

One note of caution, the unit I got is USB powered, and that just adds to the hassle of installing it. Sure, you can just plug it into your laptop, or whatever USB device you want, but find a USB power port in the dash of a D2 body... Does not exist. You want to find a 5v DC power source, and short of that, any cheap 12v DC to USB port adapter can be wired into place. (Just buy a cheap one that is for a lighter port, tear it apart, wire up the 12v DC to the plug, and plug in your USB, and you are good to go... Get one with multiple ports, and you can snake out a spare wire, and charge your smart phone while you enjoy your new phone call ability... )

BTW, last note: Use eBay. Honestly, my local retailers wanted 14.99 per cable for USB to micro USB that my phone uses, and other cables were between 6.99 and nearly 30.00... eBay had them all for less than 10.00 shipped to my door in a few days. (And I have spares of most now, so I have charging stations all over the place that I did not have before, and it cost me next to nothing.)

Heck, if I don't put the camera on the car, I might just mount it near the front door, and use it as a security device to see who's knocking at my door.. LOL